How to i solve the amplitude 3sin(2x)+4sin(x)

• Thread starter expscv
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Amplitude
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the amplitude for the function 3sin(2x)+4sin(x). It is determined that the amplitude is the sum of the amplitudes of the two components, which is 7. The conversation also touches on the use of a software called ROOT for graphing functions.
expscv
how to i solve the amplitude 3sin(2x)+4sin(x)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The amplitude of one component is 3; the amplitude of the other is 4. When two sine waves are added together, regardless of their frequencies or phases, they will periodically be in phase and add together constructively. They will add to an amplitude of 7 at those points.

- Warren

thx , is amplitude find through max/min pts?

Far be it from me to disagree with Chroot, but I don't see how sin(x) and sin(2x) will "constructively interfere" to give an amplitude of 3+ 4. 4sin(x)= 4 only for x= pi/2+ 2npi while 3sin(2x)= 3 only for 2x= pi/2+ 2mpi or x= pi/4+ mpi. That means we would have to have (m-2n)pi= pi/4 for some integers m and n.

The way I would do this problem is to find the maximum value of y= 3sin(2x)+ 4sin(x) as expscv suggested:
If y= 3sin(2x)+ 4sin(x) then y'= 6cos(2x)+ 4cos(x). cos(2x)= 2cos2(x)- 1 so this is y'= 12 cos2(x)+ 4cos(x)- 6= 0.

Solving that quadratic equation for cos(x), then converting that to sin(x) and sin(2x) (sin(x)= sqrt(1- cos2(x)) of course, and sin(2x)= 2sin(x)cos(x)), I get that 3sin(2x)+ 4sin(x) has a maximum value of approximately 6.10, the same thing I get by graphing y= 3sin(2x)+ 4sin(x).

Whoops. Integer multiple frequencies. :sheepish grin:

- Warren

thx both in reply, espically HallsofIvy ,

I got too curious. :smile:

The red and blue are the two components. The black one the sum.

Attachments

• c1.png
    c1.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 569
cool wat software is that?

Nice looking functions. You can do that with Excel as well, although it would be a bit less convenient.

It's called ROOT. You can download it from here. It is mainly used for high energy physics.

1. What is amplitude in trigonometry?

The amplitude in trigonometry is the maximum displacement from the mean or central value of a periodic function. In simpler terms, it is the distance from the center line to the highest or lowest point on a graph.

2. How do I find the amplitude of a trigonometric function?

To find the amplitude of a trigonometric function, you need to look at the coefficient of the trigonometric term. In this case, the coefficient of both sine terms is 3 and 4 respectively, so the amplitude is 3 and 4.

3. Why is the amplitude important in solving trigonometric equations?

The amplitude is important because it helps determine the range of values that the trigonometric function can take. It also affects the frequency and period of the function.

4. How do I solve a trigonometric equation with multiple terms?

To solve a trigonometric equation with multiple terms, you need to use the principles of algebra and trigonometry. In this case, you can use the trigonometric identities for the sum and difference of angles to simplify the equation and solve for the unknown variable.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving an equation with multiple trigonometric terms?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving an equation with multiple trigonometric terms include forgetting to use the trigonometric identities, making errors in expanding or factoring the equation, and not considering the restrictions of the trigonometric functions (such as the domain and range).