Boiler Monitoring with Piezoelectrics - Dalisu (South Africa)

• Thread starter dalisu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Boiler
In summary: It is difficult to give a general answer to this question as it depends on the specific application. However, a rule of thumb is that a piezo material will show one use per area of model.
dalisu
sup y'all :yuck:

i'm a newbie. I am a graduate from South Africa and dooing my intenship with a mining company in South Africa. i just need ur input... jus read below:shy:

iv gt a personal project into the monitoring of boilers more effectively and in real-time. i thought of using piezoelectrics as the medium. wat i need help in is deciding whether to use the piezo-material as a sandwich in the boiler shell or just glue it on the shell of the boiler.
what i plan to achieve is a real-time monitoring of the boiler in terms of the stresses and strain incurred in the boiler while in operation.

i will appreciate ANY comment or maybe a different idea i need to look into.

many thanks
dalisu (South Africa)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Why not simply go with strain gauges? Why bother with piezo, which, I don't think will be applicable to what you want to do?

I would look at pressure (strain gauge based) and temperature (thermocouple) measurements for your actual process measureables and, if desired, strain measurements at various points on the boiler via foil strain gauges.

but strain gauges need an amplifier and piezo's dont?

Piezo's need charge amplifiers. The charge that is created when a piezo is deformed is very low and not really useable. You have to amplify that as well. No matter what data acquisition you end up doing (unless of course it is simple gauges and hand recording) you will always need

- Signal amplification
- Signal conditioning

what exactly are you trying to monitor? Temp? you can use an acoustic pyrometer. if you want to measure side wall flex you can use load cells, high temp of coarse. probably some with low deflection also. there are a few companies that deal with this. what type of boiler? small power plant?

da boiler is a fire-tube boiler of rating 20tons/hr of steam at a working limit of 1400kPa. there ar seven of these for a refinery plant.

oohh ja, is there a rule of thumb or a ratio for how many piezoelectric materials show one use per area of model?

1. What is boiler monitoring with piezoelectrics?

Boiler monitoring with piezoelectrics is a method of using piezoelectric sensors to measure the vibrations and strain in industrial boilers. These sensors convert mechanical energy into electrical energy, allowing for the detection of potential problems such as cracks, leaks, and malfunctions in the boiler.

2. How does piezoelectric technology work in boiler monitoring?

In boiler monitoring, piezoelectric sensors are attached to the surface of the boiler. When the boiler is in operation, the sensors detect the vibrations and strain caused by the movement of the boiler's components. This data is then converted into electrical signals and analyzed to identify any abnormalities or potential issues.

3. What are the benefits of using piezoelectric sensors for boiler monitoring?

Piezoelectric sensors offer several benefits for boiler monitoring, including high sensitivity, accuracy, and durability. They can also be easily integrated into existing boiler systems and provide real-time monitoring, allowing for early detection of potential problems and preventing costly downtime.

4. How is boiler monitoring with piezoelectrics different from traditional methods?

Traditional methods of boiler monitoring involve manual inspections or using other types of sensors, such as strain gauges or accelerometers. These methods are often time-consuming and require shutting down the boiler for inspection. In contrast, piezoelectric sensors provide continuous monitoring without the need for downtime, making them a more efficient and cost-effective option.

5. Can boiler monitoring with piezoelectrics be used for all types of boilers?

Yes, piezoelectric sensors can be used for various types of boilers, including steam boilers, hot water boilers, and industrial boilers. They can also be used in different industries, such as power plants, chemical plants, and oil refineries. However, the specific installation and monitoring process may vary depending on the type and size of the boiler.

Back