How do I represent this relationship

In summary, the conversation is about finding a general formula for plotting points on a line where the difference between the x and y coordinates follows a specific pattern. The formula is (3 + n, n) where n is a positive integer. This is relevant for identifying metallic carbon nanotubes, which behave like metals, and can be found by solving equations using points on this specific line.
frasifrasi
So basically, I want to write a general formula for this:

(3,0)
(4,1)
(5,2)

-->meaning that whenver you increase x by 1, x also increases by 1 starting with (0,0)( iguess...).

This is to answer this question:

Carbon nanotubes with indices (n, m) that satisfy n-m=3l, where l is an integer, behave likemetals (copper, silver, aluminum, etc). The rest behave like semiconductors (silicon, germaniumetc). Can you identify at least one group of vectors that would produce metallic carbon nanotubes?Find as many as you can if you are able to.

If anyone knows of anyother group, that would be nice as well.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Those points lie on a line. Does that help you? Are you aware that the origin does not lie on this line?

The carbon and materials for nanotubes part I do not understand; I only commented on the three given points.

(Almost) Any line can be written in the form y= ax+ b. Take (x,y) from any two of the points so you have two equations to solve for a and b. You can use the third point to check your equation.

Ok, but this has nothing to do with the coordinate system. The values (n,m) are supposed to components of vectors that are not plotted on a regular 90 degree coordinate system. I just want to express the trend that (3,0), (4,1), etc such that n-m=3(integer).

Any thoughts?

I guess I can just say (3 + n, n)where n is a positive integer.

1. How do I determine the type of relationship between two variables?

To determine the type of relationship between two variables, you can plot a graph of the data and observe the pattern. If the data points form a straight line, then the relationship is linear. If the data points form a curve, then the relationship is non-linear. You can also use statistical methods such as correlation coefficient to quantify the strength of the relationship.

2. What is the difference between positive and negative relationships?

A positive relationship means that as one variable increases, the other variable also increases. In a negative relationship, as one variable increases, the other variable decreases. Positive and negative relationships can be linear or non-linear.

3. How do I represent a non-linear relationship in a graph?

To represent a non-linear relationship in a graph, you can use a scatter plot. Each data point on the graph will represent the value of both variables. You can also use a line of best fit or a curve to show the general trend of the data.

4. Can a relationship between two variables be both linear and non-linear?

No, a relationship between two variables can only be either linear or non-linear. However, there can be multiple relationships between the same two variables, some of which may be linear and others non-linear.

5. How do I determine the strength of a relationship between two variables?

The strength of a relationship between two variables can be determined by calculating the correlation coefficient. This is a statistical measure that indicates the degree of association between the variables. A correlation coefficient close to 1 or -1 indicates a strong relationship, while a value close to 0 indicates a weak relationship.