Just plain dont know what to do or how to even start

• Thread starter Phymath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    even
First, let's evaluate \frac{\partial{q}}{\partial{r_1}}:\frac{\partial{q}}{\partial{r_1}} = \frac{\partial}{\partial{r_1}}(r_1-r_2) = 1Next, let's evaluate \frac{\partial{p}}{\partial{p_1}}:\frac{\partial{p}}{\partial{p_1}} = \frac{\partial}{\partial{p_1}}\left(\frac{m_2 p_1-m_1 p_2}{M}\right) = \frac{m_2}{
Phymath

Homework Statement

Well I've been working on these problems for the last 4 hours and still nothing...and out of despairation i turn to you all.

It has to do with Canonical transformations of the Hamiltonian:
1) Consider a type 1 generating function (F(q,Q,t)) where the following must be satisfied
[tex]
p = \frac{\partial{F}}{\partial{q}} \
P = -\frac{\partial{F}}{\partial{Q}} \
[/tex]
show that for a single degree of freedom the possion bracket [Q,P] = 1 (aka canonical) now I've been able to show it is 0 obviously wrong and yes it makes use of many different forms of differentials any help on this would help

2) For Two particles interact via a central potential V(r1-r2) the H is
[tex]
H= \frac{p_1^2}{2m_1}+\frac{p_2^2}{2m_2}+V(r_1-r_2)
[/tex]

[tex]
Q = \frac{m_1 r_1+m_2 r_2}{M = m_1+m_2}, P = p_1+p_2
[/tex]

[tex]
q= r_1 - r_2, \ p = \frac{m_2 p_1-m_1 p_2}{M}
[/tex]

this one I am really not sure about, however i think the transformation is type 3 so that may help doing that what does anyone think? any help is always awesome.show that the transformation is canonical

Homework Equations

[tex]
[Q,P] = \frac{\partial{Q}}{\partial{q}}\frac{\partial{P}}{\partial{p}}-\frac{\partial{P}}{\partial{q}}\frac{\partial{Q}}{\partial{p}}
[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

The first problem involves canonical transformations and the second problem involves showing that a transformation is canonical. I can help you with both problems.

1) To show that [Q,P] = 1, we need to evaluate [Q,P] using the definition given:

[Q,P] = \frac{\partial{Q}}{\partial{q}}\frac{\partial{P}}{\partial{p}}-\frac{\partial{P}}{\partial{q}}\frac{\partial{Q}}{\partial{p}}

First, let's evaluate \frac{\partial{Q}}{\partial{q}}:

\frac{\partial{Q}}{\partial{q}} = \frac{\partial}{\partial{q}}\left(\frac{m_1 r_1+m_2 r_2}{M}\right) = \frac{m_1}{M}

Next, let's evaluate \frac{\partial{P}}{\partial{p}}:

\frac{\partial{P}}{\partial{p}} = \frac{\partial}{\partial{p}}(p_1+p_2) = 1

Now, let's evaluate \frac{\partial{P}}{\partial{q}}:

\frac{\partial{P}}{\partial{q}} = \frac{\partial}{\partial{q}}\left(\frac{m_2 p_1-m_1 p_2}{M}\right) = 0

Lastly, let's evaluate \frac{\partial{Q}}{\partial{p}}:

\frac{\partial{Q}}{\partial{p}} = \frac{\partial}{\partial{p}}(r_1-r_2) = 0

Plugging these values into the definition of the Poisson bracket, we get:

[Q,P] = \frac{m_1}{M}\cdot1 - 0\cdot0 = \frac{m_1}{M} = 1

Therefore, [Q,P] = 1 and the transformation is canonical.

2) To show that the transformation is canonical, we need to show that the Poisson bracket [q,p] = 1 using the definition of the Poisson bracket:

[q,p] = \frac{\partial{q}}{\partial{r_1}}\frac{\partial{p}}{\partial{p_1}}-\frac{\partial{p}}{\partial{r_1}}

What is the first step I should take when I don't know what to do?

The first step is to take a deep breath and calm yourself. It's important to approach the situation with a clear and focused mind.

How can I break down a complex problem into smaller, more manageable parts?

One approach is to use a problem-solving framework, such as the scientific method. This involves identifying the problem, gathering information, forming a hypothesis, conducting experiments, and analyzing the results.

What resources can I use to gather information and find potential solutions?

The internet is a great resource for finding information and potential solutions to a problem. You can also consult with colleagues, read books or articles, and attend conferences or workshops related to your field.

How can I stay motivated when I feel overwhelmed?

It's important to take breaks, set realistic goals, and celebrate small successes. You can also seek support from friends, family, or a mentor to keep you motivated and on track.

What should I do if I'm still stuck and don't know how to proceed?

Don't be afraid to ask for help. Consult with a colleague, supervisor, or mentor who has experience in the field. They may be able to offer valuable insights and guidance to help you move forward.