Making Fermionic Condensates: Overcoming the Exclusion Principle

• Thread starter p_branes
  • Start date
In summary, the fermionic condensate is a type of gas that is made up of particles that can form pairs. This confirms the occurence of pairing in superconductors, which was hinted at in an earlier report.
p_branes
My question is that how did people actually make a fermionic condensate? I would think this would be extremely difficult as the exclusion principle states that fermions cannot be in the same quantum state so how ebactly did people achieve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
p_branes said:
My question is that how did people actually make a fermionic condensate? I would think this would be extremely difficult as the exclusion principle states that fermions cannot be in the same quantum state so how ebactly did people achieve this?

They can't be in the same quantum state. Remember that if you describe a free particle as plane waves, there are two quantum numbers, n and k, that describe such a system. You can have two fermions having the same n, but having k1 and -k1 quantum numbers, k2 and -k2, etc...

For Cooper pairs in conventional superconductors, this is exactly the case. Equal but opposite electrons k's for two electrons pair up forming a singlet state. So for example, you have one pair with k1 and -k1, another pair having k2 and -k2, etc... So essentially, each fermions are STILL uniquely different as far as their quantum numbers are concerned. If n1,k1 is already taken, another electron cannot scatter into that state.

The difficulty in understanding all this is that the "single-particle" statistics for fermions is still obeyed. However, when you consider a bound pair, you now have to consider the two-particle statistics, which can be very different if these particle are bosons (or composite bosons in this case).

Zz.

A fermionic condensate is actually composed of particles which can form pairs. The paired up fermions act as if they were collectively a boson, and then the bosons Bose-Einstein condense.

http://physicsweb.org/article/news/8/1/14

- Warren

Thanks now i get it.

i think they made fermionic condensate cos i saw it in "Focus" the other day

Sometime things on here don't get followed up, or forgotten and another new string starts up asking the same thing all over again.

As a follow up to this, don't miss the new report on the further development of the saga of the Fermionic condensate. This time a pair of reports (still not out officially yet) have confirmed the occurence of pairing in a fermionic gas upon condensation. This will be an analogous process occurring in superconductors with the formation of Cooper pairs.

http://physicsweb.org/article/news/8/7/12

The earlier report by the Deborah Jin's group only reported a condensation in a fermionic gas. They could not observe any pairing but hinted that it could happen. This new report seals the deal.

Zz.

1. What is a fermionic condensate?

A fermionic condensate is a state of matter that occurs at extremely low temperatures where fermions, a type of subatomic particle, can no longer be distinguished from one another and behave as a single entity.

2. How is the exclusion principle overcome in the creation of fermionic condensates?

The exclusion principle, which states that no two identical fermions can occupy the same quantum state simultaneously, is overcome by cooling the particles to such low temperatures that they are forced into the lowest energy state, allowing them to condense and behave as a single entity.

3. What are some potential applications of fermionic condensates?

Fermionic condensates have potential applications in quantum computing, precision measurement, and the study of fundamental physics principles such as superfluidity and superconductivity.

4. What challenges are involved in creating fermionic condensates?

Creating fermionic condensates requires precise control and manipulation of particles at extremely low temperatures, which can be difficult and expensive to achieve. Additionally, the condensate is highly sensitive to external disturbances and must be isolated from the environment.

5. How do fermionic condensates differ from other states of matter?

Fermionic condensates differ from other states of matter, such as solids, liquids, and gases, in that they are governed by quantum mechanical principles rather than classical mechanics. They also have unique properties, such as the ability to flow without resistance and display interference patterns.