What is the velocity of a steel block after moving 1.20 meters?

• Thread starter skandaluz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the problem involves a 2.00 kg steel block on a steel table, with a string tension of 17.0 N pulling on the block. The coefficient of kinetic friction of dry steel on steel is 0.600. The minimum string tension to move the block is 15.7 N, and the force of kinetic friction is found to be 5.88 N. The remaining tension, 11.12 N, is used to accelerate the block. Using the kinematic equations, the velocity of the block after moving 1.20 meters can be calculated.
skandaluz

Homework Statement

Their is a 2.00 kg steel block on a steel table. What is the velocity of the block after moving 1.20 meters given that the string tension being pull on the block is 17.0 N and the coefficient of kinetic friction of dry steel on steel is .600.

Homework Equations

I don't really know what these would be for this problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

So far, I've figured that the minimum string tension to move the block is 15.7 N using the coefficient of static friction of dry steel on steel is 0.800. T = Mass * Static friction * gravity. T = (2.00) * (.800) * (9.8) = 15.68 ~ 15.7

Physics news on Phys.org
When the block is moving the only friction force it experiences is that of kinetic friction. the equation for the force of kinetic friction is [itex]F_k=\mu_kN[/itex] where the N is the normal force between the object and the surface.

All you have to do is work out how much much of the Tension is going into acceleating the block (i.e. the tension minus the friction force) and then use the kinematic equations.

So I figured out the force of kinetic friction is = .600 * 9.8 which equals 5.88. I then took the tension of 17 and subtracted 5.88 to get 11.12 N. Is that right so far?

Ok, I figured it out. Thanks alot! Your a life saver! haha

1. What is velocity?

Velocity is a measure of the rate at which an object changes its position in a particular direction. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

2. How do you calculate velocity?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the change in an object's position by the change in time. The formula for velocity is: velocity = change in position / change in time. This can also be written as v = ∆x / ∆t.

3. What units is velocity measured in?

Velocity is commonly measured in meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h). However, it can also be measured in other units such as feet per second (ft/s) or miles per hour (mph).

4. How is velocity different from speed?

Velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, but they have different meanings in physics. While speed is a scalar quantity that only measures the magnitude of an object's motion, velocity is a vector quantity that also takes into account the direction of motion.

5. What factors can affect an object's velocity?

An object's velocity can be affected by various factors such as the force applied to it, the mass of the object, and the presence of external forces such as friction or air resistance. Changes in these factors can cause an object's velocity to increase, decrease, or change direction.