The 2 year AAS in Electronics Engineering Technology

In summary: but generally speaking, an engineer designs and creates new products or solutions, while a technician repairs or replaces existing products.
jwlurch14
I am in a little dilemma. I have taken interest in a 2 year EET program at my local community college but am unsure if it is marketable. From my research, an AAS in Electronics Engineering Technology would qualify you for a technician's job. Are technician's in high demand these days? For the record, this AAS program is ABET/TEC accredited.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is what it is...I doubt it's exactly "high" demand (or highly paid), but it's decent stuff and, well, electronics are in everything these days. But they also get thrown out / replaced where they once might have been repaired. BLS.gov has lots of interesting data that might help you.

Without knowing about your goals and so forth it's hard to really say more...I wouldn't go for it personally, but that's because I don't think I'd be satisfied with it.

Thanks for the reply.

My goal is to obtain a degree where I can do a little design work but mainly to troubleshoot. I love to fix things and solve problems. I would prefer to do more hands-on, on the floor work as opposed to sitting behind a computer doing CAD work all day.

The other option I have is a AS degree in Engineering science (They call it a "University Parallel" program) which basically covers the math through linear algebra and the calculus based physics sequence and some other gen ed stuff and transfers to a 4 year engineering program at a University.

I have ruled out a direct 4 year engineering program due to lack of evening classes. I am only 21 but have to work full time to pay for school and living expenses.

Last edited:
The AS would be more flexible. It would also leave you with a better base to come back and complete a 4 year program later if you want/need to, which AAS doesn't really do well.

Check if the AAS program courses can be taken by people that aren't enrolled in it. You may be able to take the ones you think will give you interesting/useful experience as electives / in addition to the AS courses. Best of both options, that way.

That is an excellent idea. I have not thought about doing that. I will contact my school and see if that is a possibility. Thank you for the suggestion!

Cheers

If you are very good tech, there is bound to be a job out there for you. It can mean writing tests to test circuits to helping design engineers by soldering, testing prototypes, and etc. Good techs are hard to find and a lot of them work hourly and get a lot of overtime.

Why don't you take the math and science you have done and just go for a EE degree,

i went for the CET (computer engineering technology degree) that was an AAS degree. i could transfer it to a college and get the bachelors degree in ECET. after getting a job working for 2 electrical engineers, i realized how much more you can do with the EE degree. i am therefore switch to Computer Engineering. Tech degrees are fine if that's all you want to do. but there are more options with an engineering degree.

Sounds like you're on the right track. I actually started out in an EET program, but ended up going for my BSEE after a talk with my professor the first week of class. I wanted to focus more on the design side of things, though. If you're interested in just troubleshooting, I would start with the Associate degree...just make sure it will transfer well into a EE program in case you change your mind. They all don't line up so perfectly.

Don't completely rule out the BS degree just because you need to work. I work part-time to help pay the rent and other bills, but in the end, I just had to suck it up and take out the loans. I won't lie...it's tough...but definitely worth the effort. I absolutely love going back to school. Fortunately, I was also able to find a program that does mostly evening classes, so that has helped a lot.

Good luck!

Is it correct to classify that engineers design and technicians troubleshoot?

Slideman- I was not aware that there were evening programs in engineering. Are they more common in larger schools like the state universities?

jwlurch14 said:

Not really.

jwlurch14 said:

Slideman- I was not aware that there were evening programs in engineering. Are they more common in larger schools like the state universities?

I can't really comment on the differences between engineers and technicians, since I don't have any experience yet, but what you described is kinda how my professor explained it to me. There is probably a lot of crossover between the two, but if you want to do significant design work, you'll probably be better off with the bachelor's degree.

As for the evening course, I was lucky enough to find one locally, although I don't think they're really all that common. I'm going to the University of Missouri-St. Louis, which has a joint engineering program with Washington University. So all my engineering classes are at Wash U in the evenings (usually after 4 PM). Unfortunately, that means a rather inflexible schedule as far as electives go...and you still have to take your non-engineering courses during the day, for the most part. Looking back, I personally would have preferred to do it all the standard way...trying to cram everything in like I'm doing leaves no time for research or any other extra-curricular activities. I'm already starting to regret it...I think trying to work a significant amount and go to school at the same time will hurt my education more than it's worth.

I don't know your financial situation, but if you're not significantly in debt and you definitely want the bachelor's degree, my advice would be to do it the standard way. It'll be worth it in the long run, especially if you want to get the most out of your education.

jwlurch14 said:

No, engineers can indeed, and quite often, do both. Of course it depends on your particular job duties.

jwlurch14 said:
...I was not aware that there were evening programs in engineering. Are they more common in larger schools like the state universities?

A lot of universities have what's called a 2 Plus 2 program. It basically is the pre-engineering AS degree you were talking about earlier that you complete at a local community college, then take the last two years either on campus or in your case online.

Noth Carolina State University has a program similar to this...check it out...

http://distance.ncsu.edu/programs/2plus2.html

I'm sure (assuming you don't live in NC) a local university will have a similar program near you.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an AAS in Electronics Engineering Technology?

An AAS (Associate of Applied Science) in Electronics Engineering Technology is a two-year degree program that focuses on the application and understanding of electronics principles and technology. This program combines theoretical knowledge with hands-on experience to prepare students for entry-level positions in the electronics engineering field.

2. What skills will I learn in this program?

Through this program, students will gain a strong foundation in electronic circuits, digital electronics, microprocessors, and computer-aided design (CAD). They will also learn how to troubleshoot and repair electronic systems, as well as develop skills in project management, communication, and teamwork.

3. What career opportunities are available for graduates of this program?

Graduates of this program can pursue a variety of careers in the electronics engineering field, including roles such as electronics technician, electronics assembler, field service technician, and electronics engineering technologist. They may also find employment in industries such as telecommunications, manufacturing, and aerospace.

4. Is this program accredited?

Yes, most AAS in Electronics Engineering Technology programs are accredited by ABET (Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology). This accreditation ensures that the program meets high-quality standards and prepares students for successful careers in the field.

5. Can I transfer my credits to a four-year degree program?

Yes, many colleges and universities accept transfer credits from AAS in Electronics Engineering Technology programs. However, it is important to check with the specific institution you plan to transfer to in order to ensure a smooth transfer process.