How Do I Apply Parseval's Theorem to a Modulated Signal in the Frequency Domain?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a modulated signal in the frequency domain, where the frequency domain is easier to work with than the time domain. The person is trying to use Parseval's theorem to solve the problem, but is unsure about how to deal with the given integral. They are also wondering if they should end up with T/2, where T is the width of their pulse. The summary concludes by stating that the Parseval's relation gives the concept of law of conservation of energy, and that frequency domain calculations can be used to find Z(\omega), but not by using Parseval's theorem.
verd
Alright. So... Conceptually I completely understand what I'm doing. I'm just a bit confused about how, mechanically, to solve this.

I basically have the following:
W(w)=(1/2)[p2(w+6)+p2(w-6)]

Where p2(w) is a pulse of width 2. Of course, w is omega, and the +/-6 is the shift. This is a modulated signal and it's in the frequency domain. Now this is my problem...

w(t) is put into a squaring function, which produces z(t).

In this problem, the frequency domain is infinitely easier to work with than the time domain. So I know I can use Parseval's theorem, the special case for squaring a function. My problem is that I am then presented with the followingI'm using:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}x^2(t)dt=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}|X(\omega)|^2d\omega[/tex]

Can I say that

[tex]
Z(\omega)=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} | \frac{1}{2}
[ p_{2}(\omega + 4)+p_{2}(\omega - 4)] |^2 d \omega
[/tex]?How do I deal with this integral? Do I just simply take the integral of the height of W(w) from -7 to -5 and then from 5 to 7 and just add them?

Am I supposed to end up with T/2, where T=the width of my pulse??Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The Parseval's relation gives you the concept of law of conservation of energy. Both RHS and LHS are just real numbers. You can use frequency domain stuff to calculate Z(\omega) but not by using Paarseval's relation.

I understand your confusion and can offer some guidance on how to approach this problem. First, it is important to understand the concept of a Fourier Transform, which is a mathematical tool used to analyze signals in the frequency domain. In this case, your signal is modulated and already in the frequency domain, so you can apply Parseval's theorem to find the power of the signal.

To do this, you will need to square the signal, which in this case is represented by the function z(t). This means that you will need to square the expression for W(w), which is given by:

W(w) = (1/2)[p2(w+6)+p2(w-6)]

To square this expression, you will need to expand it using the binomial theorem and then integrate using Parseval's theorem, which states that the integral of the squared signal in the time domain is equal to the integral of the squared signal in the frequency domain divided by 2π.

So, to solve this problem, you will need to expand the expression for W(w) and then integrate it using Parseval's theorem. This will give you the power of the signal, which is represented by Z(ω). From there, you can use the definition of power to find the width of your pulse.

I hope this helps clarify the process for solving this problem. Remember, the key is to understand the concept of Fourier Transform and how it can be applied to analyze signals in the frequency domain. Good luck!

What is a Fourier Transform and why is it important?

A Fourier Transform is a mathematical tool used to break down a complex signal into its individual frequency components. It is important because it allows us to analyze and understand signals in both the time and frequency domain, and is used in many fields such as signal processing, image processing, and quantum mechanics.

How does a Fourier Transform work?

A Fourier Transform works by representing a signal as a sum of sine and cosine waves of different frequencies, amplitudes, and phases. It decomposes the signal into its individual frequency components and provides a representation of the signal in the frequency domain.

What is the difference between a Fourier Transform and a Fourier Series?

A Fourier Transform is used for continuous signals, while a Fourier Series is used for periodic signals. A Fourier Transform provides a continuous spectrum of frequencies, while a Fourier Series provides a discrete set of frequencies. Additionally, a Fourier Transform can be applied to signals of any shape, while a Fourier Series is limited to signals that are periodic and have a defined period.

What are some practical applications of Fourier Transform?

Fourier Transform is used in various fields such as audio and image processing, signal filtering and compression, data analysis, and solving differential equations. It is also used in medical imaging and engineering for analyzing vibrations and resonance.

What are some common misconceptions about Fourier Transform?

One common misconception is that Fourier Transform can only be applied to signals that are periodic. As mentioned before, Fourier Transform can be applied to any signal, even those that are non-periodic. Another misconception is that Fourier Transform is only used in advanced mathematics or engineering, when in fact it has practical applications in everyday life, such as in digital music and image processing software.