Do string th. calculate string decay rates?

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for calculations using the vertex operator formalism to compare the decay of a fermion state into a boson plus fermion and the decay of a boson state into two fermions. Both cases are expected to have been studied in the literature, but it seems that no one has done so in the past 30 years of superstring theory. The speakers express surprise and frustration at not being able to find such examples.
arivero
Gold Member
Looking around for this topic, I only find semiclassical calculations for high spinning strings. I would expect to find some calculation where the vertex operator formalism is used to calculate the amplitudes and then the decay rate for a superstring state decaying into two and into three superstring states, both in the massless case and in the case where the original string have some mass greater than zero.

I hoped to be able to find a comparison between the decay of a fermion state into boson plus fermion and the decay of a boson state intro two fermions.

C'mon, it is tree-level. Has nobody, in 30 years of superstring theory, calculated this kind of examples?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm having a similar issue. I'm looking for a calculation that uses the vertex operator formalism to compare the decay of a fermion state into a boson plus fermion and the decay of a boson state into two fermions. I would expect to find something in the literature, given that it is a tree-level example. Has anybody out there done this or know where I can find such a calculation?

I can assure you that there have indeed been calculations done on string decay rates using the vertex operator formalism. However, it is important to note that these calculations are highly complex and require advanced mathematical techniques, making it difficult for non-experts to fully understand and appreciate.

Furthermore, the field of superstring theory is still a developing area of research, and while there have been advancements in understanding decay rates, there is still much to be explored and understood. It is possible that the specific comparison you are looking for has not yet been thoroughly investigated.

It is also worth noting that tree-level calculations can only provide a limited understanding of string decay rates, as they do not take into account higher-order corrections and interactions. Therefore, it is important to continue researching and exploring this topic to gain a more comprehensive understanding of string decay rates.

In conclusion, while there may not be a direct comparison between fermion and boson decay rates in superstring theory, rest assured that scientists are actively working on understanding and calculating string decay rates using various approaches and techniques.

1. How do you calculate the decay rate of a string?

The decay rate of a string can be calculated using the formula: decay rate = (natural log of 2) / half-life. The half-life is the amount of time it takes for half of the string to decay. This formula assumes that the decay process follows an exponential decay model.

2. What factors affect the decay rate of a string?

The decay rate of a string can be affected by a variety of factors, including the material of the string, the tension applied to the string, the temperature and humidity of the environment, and any external forces acting on the string.

3. Can the decay rate of a string be predicted accurately?

While the decay rate of a string can be calculated using mathematical formulas, it is difficult to predict with 100% accuracy. The decay rate can be affected by external factors and it is also possible for the string to decay in a non-uniform manner.

4. How is the decay rate of a string measured?

The decay rate of a string can be measured by monitoring the amount of time it takes for the string to lose a certain percentage of its initial energy or amplitude. This can be done using scientific instruments such as a oscilloscope or by taking measurements at different time intervals using a timer.

5. Why is it important to understand the decay rate of a string?

Understanding the decay rate of a string is important for a variety of reasons. It can help scientists and engineers design more durable and efficient string materials for various applications. It can also provide insight into the aging process of materials and how they respond to different environments and conditions.