How do i solve this question? please maths exam tm?

• Thread starter beccalicious87
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam
In summary, the question asks for the area of a rectangle with a given perimeter of 140cm and a length to width ratio of 4:3. To solve, you can set up an expression for the perimeter and use the given ratio to find the length and width. The area can then be calculated using the length and width values.
beccalicious87
How do i solve this question?? urgent please maths exam tm?

The question is:
The perimeter of a rectangel is 140cm. The length with width ratio is 4:3. Find the area??

Could someone please help me with this question??

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, you're given the value of the perimeter, and you should know that the perimeter is just the sum of the sides of the rectangle, which is twice the sum of the length plus width: perimeter = 2*(length + width).

You know that length/width = 4/3, so you can express length in terms of width, plug into your perimeter expression above, and solve for the width. Then you can calculate the length from the width.

Finally, area is just length*width.

Urgent as my maths exam is tomorrow.

To solve this question, you first need to find the length and width of the rectangle. Since the length to width ratio is 4:3, we can set up the following equation:

4x + 3x = 140cm

Solve for x by combining like terms and dividing both sides by 7:

7x = 140cm
x = 20cm

Now, we can find the length and width by multiplying x by the corresponding ratio numbers:

Length = 4x = 4(20cm) = 80cm
Width = 3x = 3(20cm) = 60cm

To find the area, we use the formula A = length x width. In this case, it would be:

A = 80cm x 60cm = 4800cm²

Therefore, the area of the rectangle is 4800cm². Make sure to double check your calculations and units before submitting your answer. Best of luck on your exam tomorrow!

1. How do I approach a math exam question?

To approach a math exam question, you should first read the question carefully and identify the key information. Then, determine which concepts and formulas are relevant to the question and organize your thoughts before attempting to solve it. It may also be helpful to break the question down into smaller, more manageable steps.

2. What if I get stuck on a question during the exam?

If you get stuck on a question during the exam, do not panic. Take a deep breath and try to approach the problem from a different angle. You can also skip the question and come back to it later if you have time. It may also be helpful to review your notes or textbook to refresh your memory on the relevant concepts.

3. How do I check my work for accuracy?

The best way to check your work for accuracy is to go through your solution step by step and make sure each step is correct. You can also plug your answer back into the original question to see if it satisfies all the given conditions. If you have time, it is always a good idea to double check your calculations.

4. How do I manage my time during a math exam?

To manage your time during a math exam, it is important to read and understand each question before attempting to solve it. If you encounter a difficult question, it may be more efficient to skip it and come back to it later. You should also pace yourself and allocate more time for questions that carry more weightage. Don't forget to leave some time at the end to review your answers.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid in a math exam?

Some common mistakes to avoid in a math exam include misreading the question, missing key information, and making careless errors in calculations. It is also important to avoid using incorrect formulas or concepts. To prevent these mistakes, take your time and carefully read and understand each question before attempting to solve it. Double check your work and make sure you are using the right formulas and concepts.