Core Duo vs Core 2 Duo: Is the 1.66 GHz Faster?

• Thread starter Quadruple Bypass
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Core
In summary: Revolutionary NVIDIA® Tesla™ high performance computing (HPC) solutions arm scientists, engineers and other technical professionals with the power to solve previously unsolvable problems. A dedicated, high performance GPU computing solution, Tesla brings supercomputing power to any workstation or server and to standard, CPU-based server clusters.Some high end graphics cards have almost as much memory and cpu oomph as most base systems... and the base usually needs to outclass the graphics card.Your intentions?quoth robphySome people might use a high end graphics card as a dedicated supercomputing solution, while others might use it as a supplementary solution to a more powerful base system.
Quadruple Bypass
ok here's the deal. i had a computer with a Core Duo T2250 1.73 GHz processor. a replacement computer that a company is sending me is a core 2 duo rated at 1.66 ghz. i told them to find another one because the processor is slower than my old one. but they called me back saying that the 1.66 core 2 duo is faster than the 1.73 core duo. is this true?

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Yes - (generally) the core 2 duo is dual core, it acts (mostly) like having 2 CPUs.

For general windows/linux stuff using multiple programs it will be faster.
For certain unusual cases it isn't.

Thank you kind sir. Now i can relax.

mgb_phys said:
Yes - (generally) the core 2 duo is dual core, it acts (mostly) like having 2 CPUs.

For general windows/linux stuff using multiple programs it will be faster.
For certain unusual cases it isn't.

X2. The Core Duo processors are also dual core though. The main difference is the upgraded design architecture... where the Core Duos were based off the P4's and the Core 2 Duos are a completely new architecture. That's when Intel started offering chips with higher FSB speeds and greater L2 cache sizes. Unless your running programs that are CPU intensive, you won't notice much of a difference.

Sorry - I got the Core solo/Core duo/Core 2 duo mixed up.
It was easier before Intel had a marketing dept and they just used numbers!

mgb_phys said:
Sorry - I got the Core solo/Core duo/Core 2 duo mixed up.
It was easier before Intel had a marketing dept and they just used numbers!

no apology needed... without thinking it's almost a definite that i'll get them mixed up.:biggrin: I know exactly what you mean about the marketing. You know it's bad when you have to learn the names of a new line of products, just because the company doesn't like the sound of the old name.

I'm pretty sure Intels marketing department at least has a good sense of humor!

B. Elliott said:
I'm pretty sure Intels marketing department at least has a good sense of humor!
After the multi-coloured cleanroom suit ads - it's obvious they have either a sense of humour or brain damage,.

It used to be said that the architecture of the 8086 proved that Intel didn't do drug testing.

possibly useful:
http://www.breakitdownblog.com/choosing-a-core-duo-or-core-2-duo-laptop/

I would include a comparison of L2-cache [and video card option], in addition to processor-speed comparisons between core duo and core 2 duo [both dual-core cpus].
(If you need the 64-bit features, choose the core 2 duo.)

As usual... look at the whole laptop... because the best choice depends on what you need it to do [computational task, portability, battery-life, reliability, etc...]

Last edited by a moderator:
quoth robphy
portability, battery-life, reliability, etc...]

or gaming -- which is another beast unto itself. Good gaming boxes are almost always overkill for anything else. You really did not mention your intentions re: said box with new chipset.

Consider: Some high end graphics cards have almost as much memory and cpu oomph as most base systems... and the base usually needs to outclass the graphics card.

Your intentions?

Last edited:
jim mcnamara said:
quoth robphy
Consider: Some high end graphics cards have almost as much memory and cpu oomph as most base systems... and the base usually needs to outclass the graphics card.

They gotten even further along than then just being compared to base systems... closer to scalable high-end server boards!:eek:

Revolutionary NVIDIA® Tesla™ high performance computing (HPC) solutions arm scientists, engineers and other technical professionals with the power to solve previously unsolvable problems. A dedicated, high performance GPU computing solution, Tesla brings supercomputing power to any workstation or server and to standard, CPU-based server clusters.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/tesla_computing_solutions.html

1. What is the difference between Core Duo and Core 2 Duo processors?

The main difference between Core Duo and Core 2 Duo processors is the architecture. Core 2 Duo processors have a more advanced architecture and are able to handle more instructions per clock cycle compared to Core Duo processors. This results in better performance and faster processing speeds.

2. Is the clock speed the only factor that determines the speed of a processor?

No, the clock speed is not the only factor that determines the speed of a processor. While a higher clock speed can result in faster processing, other factors such as architecture, cache size, and number of cores also play a significant role in determining the overall speed of a processor.

3. Is a 1.66 GHz Core 2 Duo faster than a 1.66 GHz Core Duo?

Yes, a 1.66 GHz Core 2 Duo is faster than a 1.66 GHz Core Duo. As mentioned earlier, the architecture of Core 2 Duo processors is more advanced, allowing them to handle more instructions per clock cycle. This means that even at the same clock speed, a Core 2 Duo processor will perform better compared to a Core Duo processor.

4. Are there any other factors to consider when comparing Core Duo and Core 2 Duo processors?

In addition to clock speed and architecture, other factors to consider when comparing Core Duo and Core 2 Duo processors include the number of cores and cache size. Core 2 Duo processors typically have more cores and larger cache sizes, which can also contribute to better performance and faster processing speeds.

5. Which processor should I choose for my computer: Core Duo or Core 2 Duo?

It ultimately depends on your specific needs and budget. If you are looking for a more affordable option and do not require advanced processing power, a Core Duo processor may be sufficient. However, if you need a faster and more powerful processor, a Core 2 Duo processor would be a better choice.