Infinite energy, light speed.

In summary: What happens is that the path it takes from A to B is bent by gravity. It still moves at the speed of light but the distance it travels is increased because of that bending. In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of infinite energy needed to travel at the speed of light and how it applies to photons, which have no mass and therefore do not require infinite energy to move at light speed. The idea of time flow approaching 0 for a photon is also brought up, along with the possibility of measuring its speed and the effects of gravity on its path. It is clarified that photons are not slowed down by gravity, but rather their paths are bent by it.
everestes009
I'm kind of new to theory and, here is something I thought about, please tell me if I'm wrong.

If it takes infinite energy to travel at speed of light, photons that travel at speed of light, must have infinite amount of energy, and if time flow is approaching 0 for the (photon), photon energy is approaching infinity, since there is no time flow for that object. It would be impossible to measure it's speed because it would "drop out" from our time dimension. And the speed that had been measured is not actual light speed , but a speed that of photon that had been slowed down by gravity of objects in universe and other forces, there for it still in our 4D.

Physics news on Phys.org
everestes009 said:
I'm kind of new to theory and, here is something I thought about, please tell me if I'm wrong.

If it takes infinite energy to travel at speed of light, photons that travel at speed of light, must have infinite amount of energy, and if time flow is approaching 0 for the (photon), photon energy is approaching infinity, since there is no time flow for that object. It would be impossible to measure it's speed because it would "drop out" from our time dimension. And the speed that had been measured is not actual light speed , but a speed that of photon that had been slowed down by gravity of objects in universe and other forces, there for it still in our 4D.

Infinite energy of What to travel at the speed of light?
I don't know about protons ...but then again It doesn't take infinite energy for a power station to light up your average 60W light bulb.

You also cannot have infinite energy, nobody knows what number infinite really is in any case.

Then again, I've just started physics... and it shows.
Interesting read :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faster-than-light

Last edited:
everestes009 said:

If it takes infinite energy to travel at speed of light, photons that travel at speed of light, must have infinite amount of energy,
You assumption is wrong. Objects with non-zero mass cannot move at the speed of light, in part because it would require infinite energy to make them move that fast. However, photons do not have non-zero mass so that does not apply to photons.

and if time flow is approaching 0 for the (photon), photon energy is approaching infinity, since there is no time flow for that object. It would be impossible to measure it's speed because it would "drop out" from our time dimension. And the speed that had been measured is not actual light speed , but a speed that of photon that had been slowed down by gravity of objects in universe and other forces, there for it still in our 4D.
No, it's not impossible to measure the speed of light. I'm not clear where you get that "it would 'drop out' from our time dimension"- or even what that means.

A photon is NOT "slowed down by gravity". Nothing can slow down a photon- it always moves at the speed of light.

1. What is "infinite energy"?

Infinite energy refers to the idea of having an endless supply of energy, without any limitations. It is often associated with the concept of perpetual motion, where a system can operate indefinitely without any external energy input.

2. Is infinite energy possible?

At this time, there is no scientific evidence to suggest that infinite energy is possible. The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only converted from one form to another. Therefore, the idea of infinite energy goes against this fundamental principle.

3. Can light speed be infinite?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the ultimate speed limit in the universe. This means that no object can travel faster than the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. Therefore, light speed cannot be infinite.

4. What is the relationship between infinite energy and light speed?

There is no direct relationship between infinite energy and light speed. However, some theories suggest that if infinite energy were possible, it could potentially allow an object to travel at or close to the speed of light. This is because infinite energy would provide enough power to overcome the mass and energy requirements needed to reach such high speeds.

5. Are there any current research or experiments being done on infinite energy and light speed?

While there is ongoing research in the field of energy and speed, there is currently no active research or experiments specifically focused on achieving infinite energy or light speed. Most scientists believe that these concepts are not feasible and instead focus on finding more efficient and sustainable energy sources and improving our understanding of the laws of physics.