Math Formulas: Troubled by the Complexity?

• Thread starter Holocene
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formulas
In summary, the conversation revolves around the idea of memorizing formulas in mathematics and whether it is necessary for success. Some argue that understanding the concepts is more important and can lead to the derivation of the formulas, while others mention the importance of memorizing basic formulas. The conversation also touches on the idea of learning versus memorizing, with one person stating that memorizing is different from learning. Overall, there seems to be a consensus that while some formulas may need to be memorized, understanding the concepts is key to success in mathematics.
Holocene
Does anyone else ever get troubled by that vast array of mathematical formulas one has to apparently memorize to be successful in mathematics?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Does anyone ever get troubled by the vast array of facts one has to apparently memorize to be successful in the world?

You mean "memorize" as opposed to "learn"? By "learn" I mean "use often enough to understand what situations require that formula and know how that formula is derived". I find that much easier than memorizing formulas and far more valuable.

There's a lot more memorization involved in learning a language than in learning mathematics. How old were you when you learned your native language?

i think there are extremely few formulas one needs to memorize in mathematics. if one understands the concepts, the formulas usually derive themselves.

I have a very poor memory, and had always worried about being able to memorize the formulas. I found that very little actually needed to be memorized, since derivations are fairly simple. I agree with mathwonk in that way.

Of Course there are a few results that there needs to have a certain degree of memorization. For example, a result like the Wallis Product. It is not too difficult to follow the proof and understand the concepts, but there are just a few steps that seem like the person who originally did those steps was just toodling around with some maths and stumbled upon it. And its nice that he stumbled upon a nice looking form of the product, when there are at least 5 other equivalent expressions. In my case, for the Wallis Product I had to remember some steps in the proof, when usually the steps are really quite self-explanatory (at least in hindsight).

You make it sound as if you are cramming for an exam. Memorizing is different then learning. You LEARN how to speak English, you don't memorize it.

wallis product has no importance to anyone, and certainly does not need to be memorized.

I have always said:

Memorizing for the low levels
Learning for the high levels
Forgetting for the geniuses

Obviously in math, once you have done enough questions relating to that formula, then it will become second nature and you won't even need to think twice to recall the formula.

You should learn the really basic ones, since the others are just built upon the basic formulas. If you truly understand how a formula works, then you can easily derive it when you needed it, although it may cause some inconvenience.

Say, the trig identities for example. Some of them looks like God's Wrath...but you can derive them from basic ones if you know what you are doing.

Of course, if you take IB Mathematics Higher Level, your Data Booklet has everything you need for you :P

mathwonk said:
i think there are extremely few formulas one needs to memorize in mathematics. if one understands the concepts, the formulas usually derive themselves.

wonk, generally i agree with nearly everything you say and this is one of those times. :smile:

haha this is why i hate the chemistry i took in pre-U. Organic Chem is a real killer.

1. What are the most important math formulas to know?

There are many important math formulas, but some of the most frequently used include the Pythagorean theorem, the quadratic formula, and the fundamental theorem of calculus.

2. How can I memorize complex math formulas?

One way to memorize math formulas is by breaking them down into smaller parts and understanding the logic behind each part. You can also create flashcards, practice problems, or use visualization techniques to help with memorization.

3. What should I do if I struggle with understanding math formulas?

If you are having trouble understanding math formulas, it is important to seek help from a teacher, tutor, or study group. You can also try breaking down the formula into smaller parts and practicing with simpler examples before moving on to more complex problems.

4. Why are math formulas so complex?

Math formulas can be complex because they are designed to represent and solve real-world problems, which can be complicated. They also build upon previous concepts and formulas, making them more intricate and challenging.

5. How can I apply math formulas in my daily life?

Math formulas can be used in many aspects of daily life, such as calculating budgets, measuring ingredients in recipes, or determining the best deals while shopping. They are also essential in many career fields, such as engineering, finance, and science.