Calculating the Sum of a series

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series Sum
In summary, Casey's problem is that the harmonic series are divergent, but their difference is finite (a classic case of an indeterminate difference yielding a finite non-zero value).
Saladsamurai
[tex]\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}(\frac{1}{5^k}-\frac{1}{k(k+1)})[/tex]

Now by partial fractions and distributing the sum across all three terms I get

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{5^k}-\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{k}+\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{k+1}[/tex]

Then I am going with: 1st is geometric; 2nd is Harmonic; and 3rd is similar to Harmonic So, 2nd and 3rd diverge.

So the sum should equal [tex]\frac{a}{1-r}[/tex].

But this the not match the text answer, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Casey

EDIT: I noticed an example in my text in which I use (1/k)-1/(k+1) to write the closed form and get a finite answer of 1.

Why is this the case if I can distribute the sigma across the terms.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your last two series do not completely cancel; write out the first few terms of each to see.

Avodyne said:
Your last two series do not completely cancel; write out the first few terms of each to see.

I can see now that [tex]-\frac{1}{k(k+1)})[/tex] goes to 1, but why does distributing change things? Or am I doing something wrong here?

Casey

Saladsamurai said:
I can see now that [tex]-\frac{1}{k(k+1)})[/tex] goes to 1, but why does distributing change things? Or am I doing something wrong here?

Casey

It's not a question of how things are distributed: it's that the two harmonic series are just one term out of step with each other. So the individual series are divergent, but their difference is finite (a classic case of an indeterminate difference yielding a finite non-zero value).

The difference

[tex]-\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{k}+\sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k+1}[/tex]

is really like writing

[tex]-\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{k}+\sum_{k=2}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k}[/tex] ,

so all the terms except the first one in the first sum cancel exactly...

[EDIT: Sorry, moved that index the wrong way before...]

Ah, also beware: the value for a in the geometric series is not 1 (maybe you already caught that, but a frequent mistake made in using the formula for an infinite geometric series is not observing the index for the first term).

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of calculating the sum of a series?

The sum of a series is the result of adding up all the terms in the series. It is also known as the total value of the series.

2. How do you calculate the sum of a series?

To calculate the sum of a series, you need to add up all the terms in the series. This can be done manually by writing out all the terms and adding them together, or by using a formula specific to the type of series. For example, the sum of an arithmetic series can be calculated using the formula: S = (n/2)(2a + (n-1)d), where S is the sum, n is the number of terms, a is the first term, and d is the common difference.

3. What types of series can be summed?

There are many types of series that can be summed, such as arithmetic series, geometric series, and power series. The method for calculating the sum may vary depending on the type of series.

4. What is the significance of calculating the sum of a series?

Calculating the sum of a series is important in many areas of mathematics and science. It allows us to find the total value of a sequence of numbers, which can have practical applications in fields such as finance, physics, and engineering.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for calculating the sum of a series?

Yes, there are some shortcuts and tricks for calculating the sum of certain types of series. For example, for an arithmetic series with a common difference of 1, the sum can be calculated by simply multiplying the number of terms by the average of the first and last term. Additionally, there are mathematical techniques, such as telescoping and partial sums, that can be used to simplify the calculation process for certain types of series.