How can I calculate the torque on a damped torsion pendulum?

In summary: It makes the math a little easier.In summary, In cylindrical coordinates, the damping force is -br\dot{\theta} and the equation of motion is-D\theta - br\theta = I\ddot{\theta}.
JolleJ
If I damp a torsion pendulum, a force will work on it given by F = -k*v, where k is some constant and v is the velocity. My question is, how can I from this calculate the torque, which this affects the torsion pendulum with?

I've tried myself, however, I'm sure there's something wrong:
For a particle in the pendulem, since v = r*w, where r is the distance from axis to point in which the force works and w is the angular speed, I get: < EDIT
F = -k*r*w
Then I multiply both sides with r, getting the torque in this point:
F*r = -k*r^2*w <=> T = -k*r^2*w, where T is the torque.

For the entire pendulum the torque is then:
[tex]T = \sum(-k*r^2*w)[/tex]
-k and w are constant, so:
[tex]T = -k*w\sum(r^2)[/tex]

However, I don't get this, since the sum of the distance of all particles is either infinit or zero. Could someone explain to me what I've done wrong, or perhaps just show me, with what torque the damping really works.

Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you list all the forces acting on the body and also write the equation of motion?

Also, if you write [itex]v = rw[/itex] where [itex]r[/itex] has dimensions of length, then [itex]w[/itex] has to have dimensions of angular speed and not angular momentum.

Sorry; changed that.

I'm not sure, which forced act on it. On the pendulum I've put a cardboard, so this creates the damping. I'm pretty sure that I'm doing something wrong, by insetting v = w*r, since v have different directions all over the cardboard.
And then of course the torque from the string works: T = -D*phi. Where phi is the angel and D is the torsionconstant of the string.

Well, the velocity is given by

[tex]\vec{v} = \vec{\omega}\times\vec{r}[/tex]

Taking [itex]\vec{\omega} = \omega\hat{e_{z}}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{r} = r\hat{e_{r}}[/itex], I get [itex]\vec{v} = r\omega\hat{e_{\theta}}[/itex]. I am using cylindrical coordinates here.

So the damping force is [itex]\vec{F_{D}} = -br\omega\hat{e_{\theta}}[/itex].

The other force, as you have correctly stated, is [itex]\vec{T} = -D\theta\hat{e_{\theta}}[/itex]. The equation of motion is thus

[tex]-D\theta - br\dot{\theta} = I\ddot{\theta}[/tex]

As you can see, [itex]\omega = \dot{\theta}[/itex].

By the way, what are you summing over anyway?

Last edited:
Thank you. However I can't quite follow you. I've never seen cylindrical coordinates before.
I'm trying to get to this:
[tex]-D\theta - br\dot{\theta} = I\ddot{\theta}[/tex]
Simply don't know how to explain it in my text. I know you just did it, but can't it be done using normal coordiantes (so that I can understand it)?

Again thanks.

Ok, forget about the polar (cylindrical) coordinates. Just consider this: I am using [itex]\theta[/itex] to denote the angular coordinate and the left hand side of that equation is the sum of the torques (with correct signs). The right hand side is just the moment of inertia times the angular acceleration. So, basically, I have just written the equation

[tex]\sum_{i}\vec{N_{i}} = I\vec{\alpha}[/tex]

As for doing it with "normal" coordinates, well, this is the easiest way to do it. This is just a differential equation in [itex]\theta[/itex]. If you convert this back into cartesian coordinates using

[tex]x = r\cos\theta[/tex]
[tex]y = r\sin\theta[/tex]

so that (here x and y denote the coordinates of some point on the rim of the disk relative to its center taken as the origin)

[tex]\theta = \tan^{-1}\frac{y}{x}[/tex]

then you'll get a messy equation. Thats the whole idea of preferring description in certain coordinates over others.

1. What is a damped torsion pendulum?

A damped torsion pendulum is a scientific instrument used to measure the effects of damping on a pendulum's oscillations. It consists of a rod or wire suspended from a fixed point, with a weight attached to the end. The motion of the pendulum is affected by the viscosity of the surrounding medium, which causes the pendulum's oscillations to gradually decrease in amplitude over time.

2. How does a damped torsion pendulum work?

A damped torsion pendulum works by converting the kinetic energy of the pendulum's motion into heat energy through friction with the surrounding medium. This loss of energy causes the pendulum's oscillations to decrease in amplitude until it eventually comes to a stop.

3. What factors affect the oscillations of a damped torsion pendulum?

The oscillations of a damped torsion pendulum are affected by several factors, including the viscosity of the surrounding medium, the size and shape of the pendulum, and the strength of the torsion spring. The temperature and humidity of the environment can also have an impact on the pendulum's motion.

4. How is a damped torsion pendulum used in scientific research?

A damped torsion pendulum is used in scientific research to study the effects of damping on the oscillations of a pendulum. It can also be used to measure the viscosity of a liquid or gas, as well as other physical properties such as temperature and humidity. Additionally, the data collected from a damped torsion pendulum can be used to validate mathematical models and theories.

5. What are the practical applications of a damped torsion pendulum?

A damped torsion pendulum has practical applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and materials science. It can be used to study the effects of damping on different materials and structures, and to design and optimize systems for maximum stability and efficiency. It is also used in the development and testing of damping mechanisms for devices such as shock absorbers and vibration dampers.