Calculate Fnet to Find Change in Momentum

In summary, to find the change in momentum, calculate the final momentum and initial momentum and find the difference. Momentum is p = (gamma)(mass)(velocity). To compute the net force (Fnet), use the force average formula and subtract the final velocity vector from the initial velocity vector to find the change in velocity. Thank you Doc Al for your help and explanation.
physco827
[SOLVED] What is Fnet?

I am given a problem with an initial velocity then a final velocity, the weight and how long it took to change that velocity. They want us to get the change in momentum, but I don't know how to compute the Fnet to use in the equation. Any suggestions on the steps I should take?

Physics news on Phys.org
To find the change in momentum, just calculate the final momentum and the initial momentum and find the difference. (Remember that momentum is a vector, so direction counts.)

What's the definition of momentum?

Thank you Doc Al for replying.

Momentum is p = (gamma)(mass)(velocity)

Having said that I still don't understand how to compute Fnet given two vectors, a mass, and a time.

I would just like to know how to compute the net force, Fnet, given the circumstances.

Last edited:
physco827 said:
Momentum is p = (gamma)(mass)(velocity)
Is this a question about relativistic dynamics? Or ordinary non-relativistic physics?

Having said that I still don't understand how to compute Fnet given two vectors, a mass, and a time.
Are you familiar with the impulse-momentum theorem? http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/impulse.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually I was not.

That link for impulse might help me out.

The force average is the mass(change in velocity)/(change in time).

The question is as follows:(took out number, substitiued x so you can't solve it for me so i can try to figure it out)
You were driving a car with velocity <x, x, x> m/s. You quickly turned and braked, and your velocity became <x, 0, x> m/s. The mass of the car was x kg. The maneuver took x seconds. What was the average net (vector) force acting on the car?

So to get that do i just use the force average formula?

Yes, that will work. Take care to find the change in velocity correctly (subtract them as vectors).

Thank you very much Doc.

I solved the equation thanks to your help and now know what Fnet is. You are awesome.

What is momentum?

Momentum is a measurement of an object's motion, calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity.

What is the formula for calculating change in momentum?

The formula for calculating change in momentum is: Fnet = m * (vf - vi), where Fnet is the net force applied, m is the mass of the object, vf is the final velocity, and vi is the initial velocity.

Why is calculating Fnet important in finding change in momentum?

Calculating the net force applied on an object is important in finding change in momentum because it allows us to understand how the object's motion is affected by external forces.

What are the units for momentum?

The units for momentum are kg*m/s, which is derived from the units for mass (kg) and velocity (m/s).

How is calculating Fnet to find change in momentum useful in real life?

Calculating Fnet to find change in momentum is useful in real life in various scenarios, such as analyzing car accidents, understanding the impact of collisions in sports, and designing safety equipment for extreme activities.