What is the power curve of the American Bosch Motor/Generator?

In summary, the speaker is working on designing a power assisted bicycle and has questions about the electric side of the design. They are looking at a specific motor with certain specifications and are wondering if there is a way to calculate the current being generated at a certain rpm. They mention a formula for calculating power based on torque and angular speed.
woodicw
I'm designing a power assisted bicycle for my senior project in mechanical engineering and I have a few questions about the electric side of the design. I want to attach a small motor to be driven by the rear wheel to generate electricity to recharge the battery. The specs of the motor I was looking at are as follows
American Bosch Motor/Generator
-1/3 HP
-24 volt DC
-No-load speed 7800 RPM
-No load amps 1.5
-Full load speed 5900 RPM
-Full load torque 60 oz-in
-Full load amps 15
-Motor body: 2.5" diameter x 4.5" long
-Shaft: .25” diameter x .75”
-flatted on two sides.
-Two 10-32 mounting studs on front, .7” long, on 1.94” centers.
-self-resetting bi-metal thermal protection.

Now my question is, is there a way for me to calculate what kind of current is being generated at a certain rpm? I'm hoping there is a generic formula and its not totally dependent on the motor.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Manufacturers often times have a torque vs. rpm graph to describe the motor's performance. If you are looking for a power vs. rpm graph for the motor, it can be calculated using a torque vs. rpm graph.

[tex]P = \tau * \omega[/tex]

[tex]P[/tex] is power (Watts)
[tex]\tau[/tex] is the torque (N-m)
[tex]\omega[/tex] is the angular speed (rad / second)

So say a motor is developing 20 N-m of torque, and is spinning at 20 rad/s; that means it is developing 400W of power.

The power curve of the American Bosch Motor/Generator can be represented by a graph showing the relationship between power output and rotational speed. This curve will vary depending on the load placed on the motor, as well as other factors such as temperature and voltage.

To answer your question about calculating the current generated at a certain rpm, there is a generic formula that can be used. The formula is:

I = (P/V) x (60 / N)

Where:
I = Current (in amps)
P = Power output (in watts)
V = Voltage (in volts)
N = Rotational speed (in revolutions per minute)

Using this formula, you can estimate the current being generated at a given speed, assuming a constant load and other factors. However, it is important to note that this formula is not exact and the actual current generated may vary slightly.

Additionally, it is important to consider the efficiency of the motor and any losses in the conversion process from mechanical energy to electrical energy. These factors can affect the actual power output and current generated.

I would also recommend consulting the manufacturer's specifications and possibly conducting some tests to get a more accurate understanding of the power curve and current output of the motor in your specific application.

1. What is the power curve of a generator?

The power curve of a generator is a graph that shows the relationship between the output power of the generator and the wind speed at which it is operating. It is used to determine the maximum power output of the generator at different wind speeds.

2. How is the power curve of a generator created?

The power curve of a generator is created by conducting a series of tests where the generator is operated at various wind speeds. The resulting data is then plotted on a graph to show the relationship between power output and wind speed. This process is usually conducted by the manufacturer of the generator.

3. What does the shape of a power curve reveal about a generator?

The shape of a power curve can reveal important information about a generator, such as its efficiency and its ability to generate power at different wind speeds. A steep and consistent slope indicates a more efficient generator, while a flatter slope may indicate a less efficient generator.

4. Can the power curve of a generator change over time?

Yes, the power curve of a generator can change over time. Factors such as wear and tear, changes in environmental conditions, and maintenance can all affect the power curve of a generator. It is important to regularly monitor and update the power curve to ensure optimal performance.

5. How is the power curve of a generator used in wind energy production?

The power curve of a generator is an essential tool in wind energy production. It is used to determine the optimal operating conditions for the generator, such as the wind speed at which it can produce the maximum amount of power. This information is crucial in planning and optimizing wind energy production.