Just a simple explanation please

• Thread starter hedkrash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explanation
In summary, astronomers have found that the universe is between 11 and 20 billion years old. It is 156 billion light years across and has been expanding since the moment it was created.
hedkrash
Can someone please explain something too me.

From what I understand our current calculations suggest the universe is between 11 and 20 some billion years old.

Astronomers have measured the cosmos to be roughly 156 billion light years across, or 78 billion light years from the outermost edge to the center.

Since nothing can travel faster than light, how could matter have expanded a minimum of 78 billion light years in 11-20 billion years?

Am I missing something?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Yes. You are missing the fact that the universe expands.

And the universe can expand faster than light - you just can't send information from one side to the other faster than light. So you can observe anything more than 14Billion light years away.

So, in super layman terms...

What was once an centimeter, would now measure a kilometer (if it were possible to observe the universe from the 'outside'). Everything keeps expanding, but since we are part of that expansion, we don't notice it.

Thanks for helping me understand this.

hedkrash said:
So, in super layman terms...

Everything keeps expanding, but since we are part of that expansion, we don't notice it.

Be careful of that statement. Objects, say our solar system, earth, you and me, don't expand as part of the expansion. Distance between galaxies *become* further apart. The galaxies themselves don't expand.

more confusion

I really thought I had it, alas confusion has set back in.

I can see how the universe could expand faster than the speed of light. If one side was moving away at .9c and the other side moving away at .9c, the combined expansion would be 1.8c away from each other (.8c faster than the speed of light c).

Which means it should still have taken more than 78 billion light years (the distance from the center of the universe to the outermost edge) for the universe to expand as far as it has.

Unless you are suggesting that space itself is expanding, and that expansion doesn't count towards an objects speed.

What is the purpose of "Just a simple explanation please"?

The purpose of "Just a simple explanation please" is to request a concise and easy-to-understand explanation of a complex topic or concept. It is often used when someone is struggling to understand something and needs a simplified explanation.

Who typically uses the phrase "Just a simple explanation please"?

The phrase "Just a simple explanation please" is commonly used by individuals who are new to a subject, students, or those who are not familiar with technical or scientific jargon. It can also be used by anyone who wants a straightforward explanation.

How do you provide a simple explanation for a complex topic?

To provide a simple explanation for a complex topic, it is important to break down the information into smaller, more manageable pieces. Use everyday language and avoid technical terms. Use analogies or examples to make the concept easier to understand. It may also be helpful to use visuals or diagrams to aid in understanding.

Why is it important to be able to give a simple explanation?

Being able to give a simple explanation is important because it allows for better communication and understanding. It can also help to bridge the gap between experts and non-experts in a particular field. Additionally, simplifying complex topics can make them more accessible and relatable to a wider audience.

How can I improve my ability to give a simple explanation?

To improve your ability to give a simple explanation, practice breaking down complex topics into simpler terms. Try using analogies or examples to help make the concept more understandable. It can also be helpful to ask for feedback from others to see if your explanation is clear and easy to follow.