Kirchhoff's Rules: Solving Homework Questions on Circuit Currents

• Thread starter Roze
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rules
In summary, the students tried to solve an equation for the current in a circuit, but they were not able to understand why something was done. They found the current by adding the voltages of the batteries, the 4.0 V battery, the 9.0 V battery, and the 5.0 V resistor. They found the voltage drop across the resistor and used Kirchoff's rules to solve for the current.
Roze

Homework Statement

Find the currents in the circuit shown in the figure attached.

Homework Equations

I actually have the solution worked out but I don't understand why something was done. So they chose to travel the bottom loop and the top loop clockwise in both cases. So they set up the equation:

sum deltaV = Vbattery + V4.0 + V9.0

What I don't understand is why they chose to add the V9.0, rather than the V5.0, or both. How do I know that this is the resistor you use for this equation? I understand you're traveling the loop clockwise, but I don't understand why the 9.0 resistor is used rather than the 5.0 or their equivalent resistance.

Also, when they plug in the numbers for this equation they give:

sum deltaV = 6.0V -4.0I2 - 9.0I3

Why are the 4.0 and 9.0 components negative? Is it because they're on the other side of the battery?

Similarly, for the top loop they give the equation:

sum deltaV = -5.0I2 + 9.0I3

Why in this case is the 5.0 negative but the 9.0 positive?

The Attempt at a Solution

See above.

Apologies for the terrible picture.

Attachments

• 18.4.gif
    18.4.gif
    5.4 KB · Views: 439
Physics news on Phys.org
You have to have the concept of a "voltage drop" across a resistor. As the current flows, the flowing charges have more energy on the left side of the resistors (in this image) than they do on the right sides. It helps to draw arrows above each resistor to show the direction that current (conventional current, I) is going. THis way you can tell if you you are dropping voltage ("negative," is going with the arrow) or gaining voltage (going against the arrow).

Of course you gain voltage when you go "with" the current through a battery, but you drop voltage when you go with the current through a resistor.

So in the second loop, as you go clockwise, you go with the current through one resistor, but against the current through the other resistor.

And the first loop simply chose the 9 ohm resistor randomly. You have to pick a single path in each loop. The problem would work just as well if they had chosen the 5 ohm resistor.

Roze said:
sum deltaV = 6.0V -4.0I2 - 9.0I3

sum deltaV = -5.0I2 + 9.0I3

One of these is incorrect. I am assuming that the current through the 4 ohm resistor is "I1." The current can't be the same through both 4 and 5.

You need a third equation (junction rule) which simply says I1 = I2 + I3.

What I don't understand is, why use Kirchoff's rules for this simple circuit? Just for practice? It would be easier to find the equivalent resistance, then the total current, then find the proportional split of the current through the parallel.

Last edited:

1. What are Kirchhoff's Rules?

Kirchhoff's Rules, also known as Kirchhoff's Laws, are two fundamental principles in circuit analysis that help to determine the current and voltage in a circuit. These rules are the Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) and Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL).

2. What is the Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL)?

The Kirchhoff's Current Law states that the total current flowing into a junction in a circuit must be equal to the total current flowing out of that junction. This law is based on the principle of conservation of charge, where no charge can be created or destroyed in a circuit.

3. What is the Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL)?

The Kirchhoff's Voltage Law states that the sum of all the voltage drops in a closed loop in a circuit must be equal to the sum of all the voltage rises in that loop. This law is based on the principle of conservation of energy, where the total energy in a closed loop must remain constant.

4. How do I apply Kirchhoff's Rules to solve homework questions on circuit currents?

To solve homework questions on circuit currents, you can follow these steps:1. Draw the circuit diagram and label all the components.2. Apply Kirchhoff's Current Law at each junction in the circuit to determine the unknown currents.3. Apply Kirchhoff's Voltage Law in a closed loop to determine the unknown voltages.4. Use Ohm's Law (V=IR) to calculate the resistance in the circuit.5. Use the calculated values to solve for any remaining unknown currents or voltages in the circuit.

5. Can Kirchhoff's Rules be applied to all types of circuits?

Yes, Kirchhoff's Rules can be applied to all types of circuits, including series and parallel circuits. They can also be applied to more complex circuits, such as circuits with multiple loops and branches. However, they may become more complicated to apply in these cases and may require the use of simultaneous equations to solve for the unknown currents and voltages.