Solar Cell calculating the power output

In summary, the student's problem is that he is not sure how to calculate the power output of a solar cell, and he is considering two methods that have problems. One method uses a capacitor to store energy, and the other uses a resistor to discharge energy.
hickyai5

Homework Statement

I am asked to plan a practical to determine the power output of a solar cell, i.e how much light energy is converted toe electrical energy per second. Now I thought(obviously) to just connect voltmeter across it with an ammeter and use PVI, however thinking about it, I don't know if this would work. It might just be my circuit theory but there is nowhere for the energy to go out of the circuit and so won't it just build up so that you have all the electrical energy it has produced as well as what it is producing now. I had another method for it, however, from the mark allocation I think it is too complicated especially as at first this seems like a really easy solution. My more complicated method, was to store all the energy for say a one sec burst of light, on a capacitor and then to discharge it through a resistor with a voltmeter across it, then using V= Vo*e^(-t/RC) to calculate initial voltage across the capacitor and ten use E= o.5CV^2 Can someone just explain why the first method is wrong/right cos its proper fuzzled my way fo thinking of things, btw I'm jst finishing a-level physics to go do it at uni, so i understand most things, but this jst got me thinking

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
use a variable resistance/and measure the current and voltage for a range of load resistances at a constant light intensity. If you short the cell you get maximum current and no power, and if you have an open circuit you get maximum voltage and also no power. The maximum power delivered to the load should be somewhere between that.

Your capacitor idea is problematic because the voltage and current won't be constant when charging it.

thanks, very much,

1. How is the power output of a solar cell calculated?

The power output of a solar cell is calculated using the formula P = IV, where P is power output in watts, I is the current in amperes, and V is the voltage in volts. This formula takes into account both the current and voltage produced by the solar cell, as they are both important factors in determining the power output.

2. What factors affect the power output of a solar cell?

The power output of a solar cell can be affected by a variety of factors, including the intensity of sunlight, temperature, shading, and the overall efficiency of the solar cell itself. Additionally, the type and quality of materials used in the solar cell can also impact its power output.

3. Can the power output of a solar cell be increased?

Yes, there are several ways to increase the power output of a solar cell. One way is to improve the overall efficiency of the solar cell by using higher quality materials or optimizing the design. Another way is to increase the surface area of the solar cell, allowing it to capture more sunlight. Additionally, using technologies such as concentrators or tracking systems can also increase the power output of a solar cell.

4. How is the power output of a solar cell measured?

The power output of a solar cell can be measured using a device called a power meter. This device measures the current and voltage produced by the solar cell and calculates the power output using the formula P = IV. It is important to note that the power output may vary depending on the conditions and environment in which the solar cell is being measured.

5. What is the typical power output of a solar cell?

The power output of a solar cell can vary greatly depending on its size, efficiency, and the amount of sunlight it receives. On average, a standard solar cell can produce around 5 watts of power per square foot. However, with advancements in technology, some solar cells have been able to produce up to 30 watts per square foot.