What are the Funniest Proofs in Geometry?

• Thread starter Howers
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proofs
In summary, the conversation discusses various humorous methods of proof, including Proof By Illegibility, Proof By Calculus, Proof By Obviousness, and Proof By Making Others Feel Stupid. The conversation also mentions the tactic of using phrases like "clearly" or "by inspection" to make a proof seem obvious. One person also shares their experience with the "Proof by lack of sufficient time" trick.
Physics news on Phys.org
I've used Proof By Illegibility on more than one occasion. :smile:

Proof By Calculus"This proof requires calculus, so we'll skip it."

Hmm they should rename Trigonometry to Proof By Calculus Class/

Those are very funny. I just wave my hand at it and say, "oh, it's trivial. It's trivial."

I guess that counts as "proof by obviousness".

Math Is Hard said:
Those are very funny. I just wave my hand at it and say, "oh, it's trivial. It's trivial."

I guess that counts as "proof by obviousness".

That's kind of my favourite. That, or the "proof by making everyone else feel stupid if they can't show something." This is usually done by using phrases such as "clearly," or "one can see by inspection that.."

I was reading a paper a few months ago when the author used the second method. I was stuck for ages thinking how this was clear from inspection of two equations. I brought it up with my supervisor who said "oh yea.. that's something that the author can do by inspection, but any of us mortals need to take two pages of algebra to show" :rofl:

Ooh, I've definitely had that "Proof by lack of sufficient time" trick pulled on me in classes! :grumpy:

What are the Funniest Proofs in Geometry?

Some of the funniest proofs in geometry include the "proof" that all triangles are isosceles, the "proof" that 1=2, and the "proof" that a square is actually a circle.

How did these proofs become well-known?

These proofs became well-known through the internet and social media. They were spread as jokes and challenges among math enthusiasts.

Why are these proofs considered funny?

These proofs are considered funny because they use logical errors and tricks to arrive at absurd conclusions. They often play on people's assumptions and expectations about geometry.

Do these proofs have any practical applications?

No, these proofs do not have any practical applications in real life. They are purely for entertainment and to demonstrate the importance of careful reasoning in mathematics.

What can we learn from these proofs?

These proofs can teach us to be skeptical and critical thinkers when it comes to mathematical arguments. They also highlight the importance of understanding basic concepts and definitions in geometry.