Got an A in electricity and magnetism/sound and waves

In summary: Congratulations on your success in electricity and magnetism/sound and waves! This is the first time that we've gotten to welcome a newcomer, and we're glad to have you here. You'll feel at home here, as many of our members are heavy-duty music fans. You should definitely choose a favourite fish right away, as it will be the first fish that you meet in the forum and it will be a good way to start off your membership. We hope you enjoy your stay and have fun while you're here.
Wesleytf
Just got an A in electricity and magnetism/sound and waves!

FWIW, I've only recently discovered physics. In HS I studied jazz and went off to Berklee, did music full time for a while and have now at 25 returned to school and remembered my passion (and, erm, aptitude) for science. wahoo!

I guess this is my introduction, too... I might as well state that I'm mad into fish and love keeping reef tanks. I used to be into recording/engineering and ran a smallish studio in Ames, Iowa for a couple years. I'll be taking a year off of school to gain my California residency and then will (likely) study bio-phyics at UCLA. In the mean time I'm planning on using video lectures(I love itunesU) and of course traditional materials to stay sharp. I'm also hoping this forum will keep me keep my brain in shape and get ahead for when I start at UCLA. Be prepared for a lot of questions from an occasionally absent-minded self-motivated me. Feel free to direct me to some 'essential' readings.

Maybe I should have left it at "ahoy-hoy!"

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, this is the first time that I've gotten to welcome a newcomer.
Welcome to PF, Wesley, and congratulations upon your success.
A lot of members here are heavy-duty music fans as well, so you'll be totally at home here.

By the bye, you should choose a favourite fish immediately. Smaller is better, as in 'ttwipp' as opposed to 'WHAAPPP'.

Last edited:
Congrats!

Welcome to the forums.

Danger said:
Well, this is the first time that I've gotten to welcome a newcomer.
Welcome to PF, Wesley, and congratulations upon your success.
A lot of members here are heavy-duty music fans as well, so you'll be totally at home here.

By the bye, you should choose a favourite fish immediately. Smaller is better, as in 'ttwipp' as opposed to 'WHAAPPP'.

fav. fish is likely the centropyge loriculus aka a flame angel. fairly typical, but what can I say? people love it for a reason. edit: this forum needs the smiley for *face fish slapping*

and I can't stop listening to soul coughing these days. hm.

Last edited:
Whatever species you favour, Moonbear or Evo is going to smack you with one. That's the traditional PF welcomnig ceremony. :biggrin:

I'm guessing that Wesley has been lurking a bit before introducing himself to already have a fish chosen for the initiation ceremony.

THWIP THWAP THWAP THWAP

That was the flame angel fish. A lovely selection; not too small, not too large, just right for fish slapping, and quite pretty too. :approve:

Welcome to PF Wesley!

1. What is electricity and magnetism?

Electricity and magnetism are two closely related phenomena that are responsible for the forces and interactions between charged particles. Electricity involves the flow of electric charge, while magnetism is the property of certain materials to attract or repel other materials based on their magnetic fields.

2. How do electricity and magnetism relate to each other?

Electricity and magnetism are related through the concept of electromagnetism. This refers to the interaction between electric currents and magnetic fields. When an electric current flows through a wire, it creates a magnetic field around the wire. In turn, a changing magnetic field can induce an electric current in a nearby wire.

3. What are some real-life applications of electricity and magnetism?

Electricity and magnetism have countless practical applications in our daily lives. Some examples include generating and transmitting electricity, powering electronic devices, and creating motors and generators. They also play a crucial role in technologies such as telecommunication, medical imaging, and transportation.

4. What are sound and waves?

Sound is a type of wave that is created by vibrations in matter. Waves, on the other hand, are disturbances that travel through a medium, such as air or water. Sound waves are responsible for carrying sound energy through air, water, and other materials.

5. How do sound and waves interact with each other?

Sound and waves are closely related, as sound is a type of wave. Sound waves are created by the compression and rarefaction of particles in a medium, which causes them to vibrate. These vibrations travel through the medium as a wave, and when they reach our ears, they are interpreted as sound. Other types of waves, such as light and radio waves, also interact with sound in various ways.