Circuit Troubleshooting: Identify Resistors in Parallel & Series

• Thread starter negatifzeo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuits
In summary, resistors in parallel allow for multiple paths for current to flow, while resistors in series create a single path for current to flow. In a parallel circuit, resistors have the same voltage and different currents, while in a series circuit, resistors have the same current and different voltages. The formula for calculating total resistance in a parallel circuit is 1/RTotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn. To troubleshoot a circuit with resistors in parallel and series, use Ohm's Law and Kirchoff's Laws. It is important to identify resistors in parallel and series to understand circuit behavior, troubleshoot issues, and select appropriate resistors for circuit design
negatifzeo
[SOLVED] Trouble with Circuits

I've got a certain problem that I feel I know how to solve, but I am having trouble deciding which resistors are in parallel and which are in series. Can anyone please tell me which resistors on this diagram are in parallel and which are in series, and how to definitively tell?

Attachments

• 21-33alt-1.gif
    21-33alt-1.gif
    4 KB · Views: 397
Physics news on Phys.org
Posted in wrong forum, sorry.

I can provide some guidance on how to identify resistors in parallel and series in a circuit. First, let's define what it means for resistors to be in parallel and series.

Resistors in parallel are connected side by side, with each end of one resistor connected to the same end of another resistor. This results in the same voltage being applied across each resistor. In contrast, resistors in series are connected end to end, with the current flowing through one resistor before reaching the next one. This results in the same current flowing through each resistor.

Now, to identify resistors in parallel and series, you can start by looking at the connections between the resistors. If two resistors have the same two points connected, they are in parallel. On the other hand, if two resistors have only one point connected, they are in series.

In your diagram, it appears that resistors R1 and R2 are in parallel, as well as resistors R3 and R4. This is because each of these pairs of resistors have the same two points connected. Resistors R2 and R3 are in series, as they only have one point connected. Finally, resistors R1 and R4 are not connected to each other at all, so they are neither in parallel nor in series.

To verify this, you can also use Ohm's Law, which states that the total resistance in a series circuit is equal to the sum of the individual resistances, while the total resistance in a parallel circuit is equal to the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals of the individual resistances. By calculating the total resistance in each section of the circuit, you can confirm whether the resistors are in parallel or series.

I hope this helps you troubleshoot your circuit and solve your problem. Remember to always double check your connections and use Ohm's Law to confirm your findings. Good luck!

1. What is the difference between resistors in parallel and series?

In a parallel circuit, resistors are connected side by side, allowing multiple paths for current to flow. In a series circuit, resistors are connected one after the other, creating a single path for the current to flow through all resistors.

2. How do I identify resistors in parallel and series?

In a parallel circuit, resistors have the same voltage across them and different currents flowing through them. In a series circuit, resistors have the same current flowing through them and different voltages across them.

3. What is the formula for calculating total resistance in a parallel circuit?

The formula for calculating total resistance in a parallel circuit is: 1/RTotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ... + 1/Rn, where RTotal is the total resistance and R1, R2, R3...Rn are the individual resistances.

4. How do I troubleshoot a circuit with resistors in parallel and series?

Start by identifying the type of circuit - parallel or series. Then, use Ohm's Law (V=IR) and Kirchoff's Laws to calculate the voltage, current, and resistance at different points in the circuit. This will help identify any faulty resistors or other components.

5. Why is it important to identify resistors in parallel and series?

Identifying resistors in parallel and series is important for understanding the behavior of a circuit and troubleshooting any issues. It also helps in selecting the appropriate resistors for a circuit design to ensure the desired current and voltage values are achieved.