Vector Potential: Finding the Vector Potential of a Long Wire

In summary, a vector potential is a mathematical vector field used to describe physical vector fields, such as magnetic and electric fields. It is often used in electromagnetic theory to simplify calculations and describe complex systems. It can be found using the Biot-Savart law and its units vary depending on the system of units being used. The vector potential can be negative, but its magnitude is always positive. Its physical significance lies in its ability to help us understand and describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields, as well as calculate associated forces and energies.
germx
Hello all. I am hoping someone could lend a hand. I need to determine the vector potential of a long wire. I am given the B-field = ([tex]\mu[/tex]I)/(2[tex]\pi[/tex]r) and I know at some point I will need to use [tex]\nabla[/tex] X A. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the equation of [tex] \bar{B} [/tex] in terms of [tex]\bar{A}[/tex]?

The magnetic field runs in rings around the conductor, so it only an azimuthal component.
This tells you that the A field generating B will be limited to radial and axial components.

Last edited:

Hello there,

I am glad to assist you with finding the vector potential of a long wire. The vector potential, denoted by A, is a mathematical concept used to describe the magnetic field in terms of a vector quantity. In this case, the vector potential can be calculated using the formula A = (\muI)/(2\pi) \ln(r), where \mu is the permeability of the medium, I is the current flowing through the wire, and r is the distance from the wire.

To find the vector potential, we can use the fact that the magnetic field, denoted by B, is equal to \nabla X A, where \nabla is the gradient operator. Therefore, we can rewrite the formula for the vector potential as A = \frac{1}{\mu} \nabla X B.

In your case, you are given the B-field = (\muI)/(2\pi r), which is a function of r. We can use this information to calculate the vector potential by taking the cross product of the gradient operator and the B-field. This would result in A = \frac{1}{\mu} \left( \frac{\partial B_z}{\partial y} - \frac{\partial B_y}{\partial z} \right) \hat{x} + \frac{1}{\mu} \left( \frac{\partial B_x}{\partial z} - \frac{\partial B_z}{\partial x} \right) \hat{y} + \frac{1}{\mu} \left( \frac{\partial B_y}{\partial x} - \frac{\partial B_x}{\partial y} \right) \hat{z}, where \hat{x}, \hat{y}, and \hat{z} are the unit vectors in the x, y, and z directions respectively.

I hope this helps you in finding the vector potential of the long wire. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck!

1. What is a vector potential?

A vector potential is a mathematical vector field that is used to describe the properties of a physical vector field, such as a magnetic field or an electric field. It is often used in electromagnetic theory to simplify calculations and describe complex systems.

2. How do you find the vector potential of a long wire?

The vector potential of a long wire can be found using the Biot-Savart law, which is an equation that relates the magnetic field at a point to the current flowing through a wire. The vector potential is given by the integral of this equation over the entire length of the wire.

3. What are the units of the vector potential?

The units of the vector potential depend on the system of units being used, but in SI units, the vector potential is measured in joules per ampere-meter (J/A·m).

4. Can the vector potential be negative?

Yes, the vector potential can be negative. This is because it is a vector field and can have both positive and negative components at different points in space. However, the magnitude of the vector potential is always positive.

5. What is the physical significance of the vector potential?

The physical significance of the vector potential is that it helps us to understand and describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields. It is closely related to the magnetic and electric fields and can be used to calculate the forces and energies associated with these fields.