How can we identify an object

• Thread starter enricfemi
  • Start date
In summary: If you answered no, then please read on.When a file is copied to a computer, the computer makes a copy of the file. The copy of the file is on the computer's hard drive. The copy of the file is the same as the original file.Question: is a copy of a file in your computer distinguishable from its original?Yes, a copy of a file is distinguishable from its original.
enricfemi
if one day we have a machine which can records every atoms' position and kind,and breake down the object into atoms,then rebuild the object use the record before.

is the object after such process still the same object before it?

if we have a clock,and we tear down it. is it still a clock? of course not. but if it is broken,and we just change one part of it, is it the same clock? if it is ,which part should we change ,then it's not?

Physics news on Phys.org
Scientifically, it is not clear that this well ever be possible. There is already one rigorous impossibility result in this area:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_cloning_theorem

Philosophically, the ability to make perfect copies would be a bedrock shift in our understanding of what it means for two things to be the same.

Right now it maybe silly to say:

"I know this is the same cup I used yesterday."

But in this future with perfect duplication this could be bonafide knowledge, since when pressed for evidence you could say:

"After all, I am sure it has never been recorded by a duplicate machine."

In other words, we will deal with this issue as it arises; it is a non-problem.

thanks,but i still confused.
to make this thing more clearly, i decided to use another example:
suppose a drop of water, i drop it to sea, is it still exist?

enricfemi said:
thanks,but i still confused.
to make this thing more clearly, i decided to use another example:
suppose a drop of water, i drop it to sea, is it still exist?

The water molecules and whatever else was in the water are still there, but there is a very small change you will ever be able to poor out that same configuration of water and other molecules out of the ocean ever before.
However, please consider that molecules are supposed to be identical, so that dramatically increases your chances, just that it needs to have the same number of each molecule.

enricfemi said:
if one day we have a machine which can records every atoms' position and kind,and breake down the object into atoms,then rebuild the object use the record before.

is the object after such process still the same object before it?
When the atmoic world is as finely-definable as the digital world, we will have that.

Question: is a copy of a file in your computer distinguishable from its original? The answer to this question will answer your real-world question.

1. How do we physically identify an object?

Physically identifying an object involves using our senses such as sight, touch, and smell. We can also use tools like magnifying glasses or microscopes to help us see the object more clearly.

2. What are the different methods for identifying an object?

Some common methods for identifying an object include comparing it to known objects or using classification systems. Other methods may involve conducting experiments or using specialized equipment.

3. How can we identify an object using technology?

Technology can aid in object identification by using techniques such as spectroscopy, which analyzes an object's unique light spectrum, or DNA testing, which can identify an object's genetic makeup.

4. What is the importance of identifying an object correctly?

Identifying an object correctly is crucial for a variety of reasons. It can help us understand its properties and functions, determine its origin or purpose, and identify any potential risks or hazards associated with it.

5. How can we ensure the accuracy of our object identification?

To ensure the accuracy of our object identification, we can use multiple methods and tools, cross-check our results with others, and continuously update our knowledge and resources. Collaboration with other experts in the field can also help to improve accuracy.