Finding Eigenvalues of Dirac Matrices with Constraint Conditions

Tr(\beta) = Tr(\beta\, (\alpha^j)^2 \,\beta^2) [/itex]In summary, the conversation is about finding the eigenvalues of alpha and beta, and then using them to show that Tr(alpha) = 0 and Tr(beta) = 0 by taking advantage of the given constraint conditions and anti-commutation relation. The proposed method is to find the eigenvalues and then add them up, but the dimensions of the matrices are not given. Instead, the suggestion is to use the anti-commutation relation to simplify the calculations.
waht
I'm stuck on a problem. Given a Hamiltonian

[tex] H_{ab} = cP_j(\alpha^{j})_{ab} + mc^{2} (\beta)_{ab} [/itex]

then

[tex] (H^{2})_{ab} = (\textbf{P}^{2}c^{2} + m^{2}c^{4}) \delta_{ab} [/itex]

holds if

[tex] \left\{\alpha^j,\alpha^k}\right\}_{ab} = 2 \delta^{jk} \delta_{ab} [/itex]

[tex]\left\{\alpha^j, \beta \right\}_{ab} = 0 [/itex]

[tex] \delta_{ab} = (\beta^2)_{ab} [/itex]

I'd like to show that [itex] Tr (\alpha) = 0 [/itex] and [itex] Tr( \beta) = 0 [/itex]

My plan is to find the eigenvalues of alpha and beta and add them up. But how could I find the eigenvalues using the constraint conditions?

Physics news on Phys.org
you missed one crucial equation,
[tex]\alpha_i^2=1[/tex]

a clever use of
[tex]\alpha_i^2=\beta^2=1[/tex]
and the anti-commutation relation should give you the answer.

also, note that if A,B,C are matrices
[tex]Tr(ABC)=Tr(CAB)=Tr(BCA)[/tex]

(edit) nevermind using the eigenvalues, i was thinking that those are 2D matrices; their dimensions are not given in this case.

Last edited:
So would

[tex] Tr(\alpha) = Tr(\alpha\, (\alpha^j)^2 \,\beta^2) [/itex]

What are Dirac matrices?

Dirac matrices are a set of mathematical tools used in quantum mechanics and relativistic physics. They were introduced by physicist Paul Dirac in the 1920s as a way to describe the behavior of particles with both spin and mass.

How are Dirac matrices used in physics?

Dirac matrices are used to represent the fundamental operators and equations in quantum mechanics, such as the Hamiltonian, momentum, and spin operators. They are also used in relativistic wave equations, such as the Dirac equation, which describes the behavior of fermions.

What is the significance of the gamma matrices in Dirac matrices?

The gamma matrices are a set of four matrices that make up the basis for the Dirac matrices. They represent the spin of a particle and are crucial in describing the behavior of fermions, which have half-integer spin.

How do Dirac matrices differ from other mathematical tools used in physics?

Dirac matrices are unique in that they can describe both the position and momentum of a particle simultaneously, unlike other mathematical tools used in physics. They also incorporate the concept of spin, which is not accounted for in classical mechanics.

What are some practical applications of working with Dirac matrices?

Dirac matrices are used in a wide range of fields, including particle physics, condensed matter physics, and quantum computing. They are essential in understanding and predicting the behavior of particles at the quantum level and have contributed to many advancements in modern physics.