Learning physics with an understanding of maths

In summary: Thanks.In summary, it would take a student about 2 years to learn all the required math for an undergraduate degree in physics. However, the real difficulty lies in learning how to apply that knowledge to problems.
superstonerman
Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Anyway I have one question given a student with a knowledge of the following subjects: Calculus, MultiVariable calculus, Real Analysis, Complex Analysis, Linear Algebra and abstract Algebra. How long in general would it take to learn a BSC degree level worth of physics? Is the difficulty and time consuming part learning the math as opposed to learning the concepts? Such that given a strong background in maths learning the physics would be easy (in the sense that you could get through the material quickly). Okay maybe that was more than one question but oh well.

Thanks for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
The math is intertwined in the physics. Knowing math doesn't mean you can simply tack on the concepts and know physics. Your mathematical toolbox will make the process a lot smoother, yes. However, time must be payed, especially in problem solving.

Applying the math and concepts together to a problem is the hard part of physics, at least in my opinion it is.

Thanks for your help.

One more question: What topics in maths would one need to know as a physics major at the end of undergraduate studies?

Single & Multivariable calculus, vector calculus, linear algebra, ordinary and partial differential equations. Most would do some complex analysis as well.

Despite your strong background in math, you lack any differential equations. Differential equations are the most important math course for physics.

And yes, physics should be easy with the math. You can probably do it in under 2 years.

I’m sorry but people seem to have misunderstood me. I don’t currently have that level of knowledge in maths, I just started learning calculus 1. I was attempting to understand the amount of math I would need to learn in order to have the equivalent mathematical background to that of a Physics Graduate. Not as much as I thought. I figured I would need Real Analysis and Abstract algebra as well as topology among many other topics. Am I right to say then that Real Analysis is a graduate subject then?

I’m currently studying Computer Science; however I have come to realize that I’m much more interested in physics. I can’t change my mind now as it’s too late so my plan is to continue studying computer science, finish my degree while learning maths and physics on the side. I’ve been studying maths for a couple of months now and have gone through Algebra 1, 2 ,Trig, Pre-Calculus, Calculus 1 and I have begun learning Classical Mechanics. I know for definite that my second year in Computer Science will cover Linear Algebra in some depth and hopefully by then I’ll have finished Calculus 1 and 2 and be starting Calculus 3: Multivariable Calculus, double integrals, Partial Derivatives and the like.

Hopefully I will know enough Math, Physics and Computer Science in order to do postgraduate work in Quantum Computation an area I’m extremely interested in that I understand will provide an extremely lucrative research career. Big Up the Qubits!

Thanks for everyone’s help and if anyone has any opinions of my career plan please say so and we can discuss! Thanks.

Well then, yes that is all you need for undergraduate physics. Deeper math comes with specialization. For example, if you specialize in string theory I've heard you'll need some topology. Ideally, you would need abstract algebra, differential geometry, and real analysis to study most graduate streams.

1. How important is it to have a strong understanding of math when learning physics?

Having a strong understanding of math is crucial when learning physics. Math is the language of physics and many concepts and equations in physics are derived from mathematical principles. Without a solid foundation in math, it can be difficult to fully comprehend and apply the concepts in physics.

2. Can I learn physics without knowing advanced math?

While some basic math skills are necessary to learn physics, it is possible to start learning physics without knowing advanced math. However, as you progress in your physics studies, advanced math skills will become increasingly important and necessary in order to fully understand and solve complex physics problems.

3. How can I use my knowledge of math to better understand physics?

Math and physics are closely interconnected, and understanding the underlying mathematical principles can greatly aid in understanding physics concepts. By using mathematical equations and models, you can predict and describe the behavior of physical systems and phenomena.

4. Do I need to have a strong math background to excel in physics?

A strong math background is certainly helpful, but it is not the only factor that determines success in physics. Other important skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and experimentation are also essential. With practice and dedication, anyone can excel in physics, regardless of their math background.

5. How can I improve my math skills for better understanding of physics?

To improve your math skills for physics, it is important to practice regularly and seek help from teachers or tutors if needed. Additionally, you can focus on mastering the key mathematical concepts and equations used in physics, such as algebra, trigonometry, and calculus. Practice applying these concepts to solve physics problems to strengthen your understanding of both math and physics.