Measure current from an alternator

In summary, the best way to test the current generated by an alternator is to characterize it with its Thevenin equivalent circuit by measuring the open circuit output voltage and then loading it with a moderate load resistance. Most car alternators require a DC source as they do not have permanent magnets. The type of alternator you have will determine if you need to use a battery or a resistor as a load. Additionally, the amount of current produced by an alternator depends on the remanent magnetism, which can be increased by initially charging the field coils with a battery.
MechaMZ
Hi, I have few alternators(one is 3phase), and I want to test the current generated for each alternator at a same rpm.

however, what is the proper way of doing this? what is the connection should be?
is there a need to convert them to DC, and charge to the battery while testing?

or any other way?

http://www.scienceshareware.com/images/Bike-gen/bg-cur2.jpg

just wondering can I take a resistor as load instead of battery?

Attachments

• bg-cur2.jpg
    bg-cur2.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 516
Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not sure of the best way, but one way would be to characterize the alternator with its Thevenin equivalent circuit. Measure the open circuit output voltage (RMS), then load it with a moderate load resistance (say a few Ohms to give you a few Amps), and measure the load voltage. This will give you what you need to calculate the output impedance of the alternator, and hence the output current capability at whatever reference voltage you want to call the min (hence the max current).

I think most altenators used in cars require it to be connected to a dc source since they don't have permanent magnets, just field windings. Do you know what types you have?

just want to know the current produce from alternator is AC or DC ?

A car alternator itself produces 3 phase AC but there are diodes inside the alternator case that turn this into DC.

if i want the current from this alternator,should i use battery or just connect a menthol directly to alternator?

roti_mentega said:
if i want the current from this alternator,should i use battery or just connect a menthol directly to alternator?

I have a car alternator and I measured the field coil resistance at 27 ohms. So, it would draw about 0.5 amps from a 12 volt battery.
Whether you could get this from the alternator output depends on remanent magnetism. This is the magnetism remaining in the iron core of the field coil when there is no current flowing.

If this was enough to get the alternator generating enough voltage to overcome the voltage drops of the diodes, the voltage out would magnetise the field coil a bit more which would give a bit more more output... and so on.

My alternator seems to have quite a lot of remanent magnetism but it is hard to tell if it would be enough to get the alternator producing output on its own.

To be safe, you probably should have a battery on the field coils at least for startup. Then you could charge the battery from the alternator output.

What is an alternator?

An alternator is a device used in cars and other vehicles to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy. It is responsible for charging the vehicle's battery and powering the electrical systems while the engine is running.

Why is it important to measure the current from an alternator?

Measuring the current from an alternator is important because it allows us to determine the output of the alternator and ensure that it is functioning properly. It also helps us identify any potential issues or malfunctions with the alternator.

How do you measure the current from an alternator?

To measure the current from an alternator, you will need a digital multimeter. Set the multimeter to the DC amperage setting and connect the positive probe to the positive terminal of the alternator and the negative probe to a ground source. Start the engine and take note of the reading on the multimeter.

What is a normal current reading from an alternator?

The normal current reading from an alternator can vary depending on the make and model of the vehicle, but it is typically between 13-15 volts. If the reading is significantly lower or higher, it may indicate a problem with the alternator.

What are some signs that the alternator may not be functioning properly?

Some signs that the alternator may not be functioning properly include dimming headlights, a dead battery, warning lights on the dashboard, strange noises coming from the engine, and difficulty starting the vehicle. If you notice any of these symptoms, it is important to have the alternator checked and possibly replaced.