Do you recommend/prefer LCD vs. plasma?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lcd Plasma
In summary: I think they will eventually come down a bit but they haven't gone down as much as I would have liked.

LCD versus plasma? Extended warranty or no?

• LCD, extended warranty

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • LCD, no extended warranty

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Plasma, extended warranty

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Plasma, no extended warranty

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Too lazy to post two binary polls.

Do you recommend/prefer LCD vs. plasma?
Do you recommend extended warranty or not?

Physics news on Phys.org
Two of my friends have a samsung 1080p tv that's about three feet + long. Its amazinggg...

I think its plasma?

I have a cathode ray tube, thank you very much. :approve:

samsung-tv.jpg

Buy the warranty. If anything goes wrong for any reason they simply give you a new one. Its worth it. My friend had problems with his because some of the pixels would act funny. They could not fix the problem so they just gave him a brand new one as a replacement.

Last edited:
Is anyone besides me waiting for the cost to come down? Is it possible that they have reached the bottom?

Why is VISIO half the price of a Sony? Is the big name brand TV that much better? I have read that One in four LCD TV's isn't made by the company that sells it.

Getting a new big screen TV will also mean having to drag that monstrous old entertainment center out of my living room unless the new TV is 37 inches diagonal or less.:bugeye:

Last edited:
edward said:
Is anyone besides me waiting for the cost to come down? Is it possible that they have reached the bottom?

Why is VISIO half the price of a Sony? Is the big name brand TV that much better? I have read that One in four LCD TV's isn't made by the company that sells it.

Getting a new big screen TV will also mean having to drag that monstrous old entertainment center out of my living room unless the new TV is 37 inches diagonal or less.:bugeye:

Funny you should say that, because I helped my friend move his old CRT from downstairs to upstairs, and the Plasma from upstairs to downstairs. The two of us lifted the plasma easily and took it down. Taking the CRT upstairs...that was horrible. Man it was heavy.

I don't think the cost will come down all that much, they are not that 'new' anymore. I think most are going for around $2,500.00 for a nice big one. But there worth every penny. You'll never go to a movie theater again.

When you watch something in HD on it, its as if you're looking out your window into the street. Its THAT good. Its orders of magnitude better.

We have two HD LCD's in the house a panasonic and a Sony. Both are fantastic, not to mention they consume less power than the plasma.

edward said:
I'm still waiting.

1. Do LCD TVs have a better picture quality than plasma TVs?

No, it is not accurate to say that LCD TVs have a better picture quality than plasma TVs. Both types of TVs have their own strengths and weaknesses when it comes to picture quality. LCD TVs typically have better brightness and energy efficiency, while plasma TVs have better contrast and viewing angles. It ultimately depends on personal preference and the specific model of TV.

2. Which type of TV is more affordable, LCD or plasma?

Generally, LCD TVs are more affordable than plasma TVs. This is because LCD technology is more widely used and has become more cost-effective to produce. However, prices for both types of TVs can vary depending on the brand, size, and features.

3. How long do LCD and plasma TVs typically last?

On average, both LCD and plasma TVs have a lifespan of about 100,000 hours of use. This translates to approximately 11 years if the TV is used for 9 hours every day. However, other factors such as usage, maintenance, and quality of the TV can affect its lifespan.

4. Are there any health concerns associated with LCD or plasma TVs?

No, there are no known health concerns associated with either LCD or plasma TVs. Both types of TVs use safe technology and emit low levels of radiation, which are within the safety limits set by international organizations.

5. Can I use an LCD or plasma TV for gaming?

Yes, both LCD and plasma TVs can be used for gaming. However, it is important to consider the response time and input lag of the TV, which can affect the gaming experience. LCD TVs typically have a faster response time, while plasma TVs have a higher input lag. It is recommended to do research and read reviews to find a TV that is suitable for gaming.