Curve Sketching Homework: Proving Range of Values of y

• Thread starter BadlyAddicted
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve
In summary, the equation (x^2 - 2x + 2)/(x^2 + 3x + 9) can be rewritten as a quadratic equation in terms of x, with coefficients involving y. The range of values for y can be found by using the quadratic formula and ensuring that the value inside the square root is not negative. This is why the condition b^2 - 4ac >= 0 is used.
BadlyAddicted

Homework Statement

A curve has equation (x^2 - 2x + 2)/(x^2 + 3x + 9). I need to prove that the range of values of y for this curv eis 2/27 =< y =< 2

I know how it should be worked but I can't understand why it's done that way.

My teacher simply arranged the equation in the form (x^2 + 3x + 9)y = x^2 - 2x + 2 which leads to the equation (y-1)x^2 + (3y+2)x + 9y - 2 = 0 and then said "For range, b^2 - 4ac >= 0"

This is what I'm having trouble understanding. What does the range have to do with b^2 - 4ac >= 0. I want to know the reasoning behind this

I'd appreciate any answers :)

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You teacher used algebraic manipulation to write the equation as [itex](y-1)x^2 + (3y+2)x + 9y - 2 = 0[/itex], which you can think of as a quadratic equation for x, with the coefficients involving y.

The "range" of a function is the set of all possible y values. Here that means values of y that correspond to real number values of x.

Since that is written as a quadratic equation, use the quadratic formula to solve it.

Remember that the solutions to the quadratic equation [itex]ax^2+ bx+ c= 0[/itex] are given by [itex](-b\pm \sqrt{b^2- 4ac})/2a[/itex]. In particular, those will be real numbers as long as the value inside the squareroot, [itex]b^2- 4ac[/itex] is not negative. Here a= y-1, b= 3y+ 2, and c= 9y- 2.
[tex]b^2- 4ac= (3y+2)^2- 4(y-1)(9y-2)= 9y^2+ 12y+ 4- 4(9y^2- 11y+ 2)[/tex]
[tex]= 9y^2+ 12y+ 4- 36y^2+ 44y- 8= -27y^2+ 56y- 4[/tex]

thanks a lot for your help. i perfectly understand it now. thank you

1. What is curve sketching?

Curve sketching is a method of visually representing a mathematical function or equation by plotting points and connecting them with a smooth curve. It is used to understand the behavior and properties of a function, such as its domain, range, and critical points.

2. Why is it important to prove the range of values of y in curve sketching homework?

Proving the range of values of y is important because it helps us understand the possible output values of a function. This information is crucial in analyzing and interpreting the behavior of a function and its graph.

3. How do you prove the range of values of y in curve sketching homework?

To prove the range of values of y, we can use techniques such as finding the domain and critical points of the function, analyzing the end behavior of the curve, and using calculus methods such as the first and second derivative tests.

4. What is the significance of the range of values of y in curve sketching?

The range of values of y helps us understand the behavior of a function and its graph. It tells us the minimum and maximum values that the function can attain, and whether the function is increasing, decreasing, or constant within a given interval.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks to proving the range of values of y in curve sketching?

While there are no shortcuts or tricks, having a good understanding of the properties and behaviors of different types of functions can make it easier to prove the range of values of y. Practice and familiarity with mathematical concepts and techniques also play a crucial role in effectively proving the range of values of y in curve sketching homework.