See PF in Scientific American Oct/Nov

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: not really sure where to start or how to do that. BTW: should we have an area (maybe in "General Discussion") just for talking about thecoolest stuff in the current monthly issue? I do enjoy that mag, and sometimes I feel like I want to engage in discourse regarding some of the articles, but... not really sure where to start or how to do that.I think that would be a great idea! I've been wanting to do something like that for a while. :)I think that would be a great idea!
I have been given notice that the Scientific American network (10 or so sites) will be promoted in either the Oct or Nov edition of Sciam (may include international edition). So keep an eye out for PF if you pick up those months issues! :approve:

Physics news on Phys.org
Thats great news Greg! How much more traffic do you expect that to generate?

Kurdt said:
Thats great news Greg! How much more traffic do you expect that to generate?

No idea. Prolly not that noticable to most members.

wanna bet?

tribdog said:
wanna bet?

you think a lot of people visit sites listed in a magazine?

Congrats, Greg! You're hitting the Big Time!

I think a lot of people read SciAm. But how many pay attention to the promotion - I guess we'll see. Maybe you should get a batch of PF T-shirts, tote bags, . . . . :biggrin:

PF swimwear would be cool :tongue2:

Mugs and mouse pads... :smile:

Astronuc said:
Maybe you should get a batch of PF T-shirts, tote bags, . . . . :biggrin:

For the first few years we did run a cafepress store with PF shirts! I have thought about bringing it back with "at cost" prices.

Greg Bernhardt said:
For the first few years we did run a cafepress store with PF shirts! I have thought about bringing it back with "at cost" prices.

That would be great!

Greg Bernhardt said:
Are there any T-shirts in stock?

Did they have pockets?

Actually I prefer sleeveless T-shirts - but they've got to have a pocket.

Design a PF t-shirt competition.

Astronuc said:
Are there any T-shirts in stock?

Did they have pockets?

We have sleeveless. No pockets though.

Kurdt said:
Design a PF t-shirt competition.

Or at least funny PF sayings or PF gags.

My university physics society was desperate to come up with something funny to go on the back of their hoodies. In the end they went with a picture of a cat with the caption: "Wanted: dead or alive. Schrödinger's cat."

Astronuc said:

Just out of curiosity, why? You can just tape your pocket protector directly to your shirt.

Greg Bernhardt said:

I like that.

Congrats on SciAm announcement. This is very cool!

Kurdt said:
My university physics society was desperate to come up with something funny to go on the back of their hoodies. In the end they went with a picture of a cat with the caption: "Wanted: dead or alive. Schrödinger's cat."
:rofl:

Greg Bernhardt said:

The word "Crackpots" with a slash across it? :)

Zz.

Ivan Seeking said:
Just out of curiosity, why? You can just tape your pocket protector directly to your shirt.
It would just pull off. Besides the pocket is for scrap paper. I can clip the pens, mechpencils and highlighters to the collar. Having a pocket is just more convenient.

ZapperZ said:
The word "Crackpots" with a slash across it? :)

Zz.

How about:

Attachments

• crack.png
    crack.png
    7.7 KB · Views: 432
:rofl: that works. All I have in my head now is the Ghostbusters theme.

cristo said:
How about:

Or maybe:

Attachments

• crkpt.png
    crkpt.png
    13 KB · Views: 462
Greg Bernhardt said:

depending on the review yes I do. Especially the kind of people who read Scientific American. Especially a site like PF. I think there are a lot of people out there who will check it out. I don't know how many will stick around, but I'd expect a huge hit when the magazine comes out.

Nice one janus! I'd make the circle just a bit bigger so you can easliy see the cracked pot.

Congrats Greg!

Congrats!
May people who're invited to join PF take here more seriously from now on!

Evo said:
Nice one janus! I'd make the circle just a bit bigger so you can easliy see the cracked pot.

Congrats Greg!

Maybe more like this?

Attachments

• crkpt.png
    crkpt.png
    35.9 KB · Views: 462
Greg Bernhardt said:
My experience is that people do. We'll keep an eye out :smile:

Ooooh, wonderful!

Congratulations Greg!

Janus said:
Or maybe:

No chamberpots allowed? :biggrin:

Greg Bernhardt said:
The sciam partners finally made the Dec issue. Our link is on page 32! :smile:

A full page for the partners! Very cool.

Attachments

• Dec SciAm.JPG
    Dec SciAm.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 407
Greg Bernhardt said:

LOL! My entire "favorites" list started out as SciAm's list of "50 Coolest Websites"!

Greg Bernhardt said:

LOL! My entire "favorites" list started out as SciAm's list of "50 Coolest Websites"!

BTW: should we have an area (maybe in "General Discussion") just for talking about thecoolest stuff in the current monthly issue? I do enjoy that mag, and sometimes I feel like I want to engage in discourse regarding some of the articles, but I don't want to expose the unwaery to any "spoilers".

I think if you will start a thread about any article that'll be OK. Opening new area/subforum before it is obvious there is enough material to fill it doesn't work.

1. What is "See PF" and why is it featured in Scientific American Oct/Nov?

"See PF" stands for "See Pulsed Fusion" and it is a new technology being developed to create clean and sustainable energy through nuclear fusion. It is featured in Scientific American Oct/Nov because it is a promising solution to the global energy crisis and has been making significant progress in recent years.

2. How does "See PF" differ from traditional nuclear fusion?

Traditional nuclear fusion involves using extremely high temperatures and pressure to fuse two nuclei together, releasing energy. "See PF" uses a pulsed magnetic field to compress and heat the fuel, making it a more efficient and controlled process.

3. What are the potential benefits of "See PF" technology?

The potential benefits of "See PF" technology include a nearly limitless supply of clean energy, reduced carbon emissions, and decreased dependence on fossil fuels. It also produces less radioactive waste compared to traditional nuclear fusion and fission.

4. What are the current challenges facing the development of "See PF"?

One of the main challenges facing the development of "See PF" is the high cost of building and maintaining the necessary equipment. Additionally, scientists are still working on perfecting the technology and achieving sustained fusion reactions.

5. When can we expect to see "See PF" technology being used on a larger scale?

While there is no definite timeline, scientists are hoping to have a working prototype of "See PF" within the next decade. However, it may take several more years for it to be implemented on a larger scale and become a viable source of energy for the general public.