Interior point, neighborhood question

In summary: Ok, so I need to prove more than 2 sets will still be open.In summary, the interior of a set is all points included in that set.
kathrynag

Homework Statement

If D[tex]\subset[/tex]R, then x[tex]\in[/tex]D is said to be the interior point of D iff there is a neighborhood Q of x such that Q[tex]\subset[/tex]D. Define [tex]D^{\circ}[/tex] to be the set of interior points of D. Prove that [tex]D^{\circ}[/tex] is open and that if S is any open set contained in D, then S[tex]\subset[/tex][tex]D^{\circ}[/tex]. [tex]D^{\circ}[/tex] is called the interior of D.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, we have a neighborhood [x-[tex]\epsilon,x+\epsilon[/tex]].

Physics news on Phys.org
Take the real numbers as a general example since it is very simple.
Is a neighborhood open? Is the union of open sets open? These are things you should investigate in order to understand the interior of a set.

VeeEight said:
Take the real numbers as a general example since it is very simple.
Is a neighborhood open? Is the union of open sets open? These are things you should investigate in order to understand the interior of a set.

neighborhood is open since it includes the real numbers and the real number line is open. union of open sets is open, I think.

kathrynag said:
neighborhood is open since it includes the real numbers and the real number line is open. union of open sets is open, I think.

The set of all real numbers is open but that was not the question! Is the interval: (a, b)= {x| a< x< b} open? If p is a point in (a, b), look at the distance, da, from p to a and the distance, db[/sup], from p to b. What can you say about [itex](d- \epsilon, p+ \epsilon)[/itex] where d is the smaller of those distances?

Now your original post didn't say anything about the real numbers. Are you working only in the real numbers, or, more generally, in Rn, or, even more generally, in an abstract metric topology?

HallsofIvy said:
The set of all real numbers is open but that was not the question! Is the interval: (a, b)= {x| a< x< b} open? If p is a point in (a, b), look at the distance, da, from p to a and the distance, db[/sup], from p to b. What can you say about [itex](d- \epsilon, p+ \epsilon)[/itex] where d is the smaller of those distances?

Now your original post didn't say anything about the real numbers. Are you working only in the real numbers, or, more generally, in Rn, or, even more generally, in an abstract metric topology?

I guess (a,b) would be closed. I'm not entirely sure what to say about this. [itex](d- \epsilon, d+ \epsilon)[/itex] except this is the neighborhood Q of x.

We're only working wuth real numbers. That's what the R in my original post signified.

The real number line is open but a subset of it does not have to be open. For example, the interval [0,1]. You may want to review the definition of open and picture it as a physical thing to help out your thinking process.

In R, the union of two open sets is open. How about more than two? You may want to try to do this as an exercise as it directly relates to the interior of a set. What is the interior of an open set?

VeeEight said:
The real number line is open but a subset of it does not have to be open. For example, the interval [0,1]. You may want to review the definition of open and picture it as a physical thing to help out your thinking process.

In R, the union of two open sets is open. How about more than two? You may want to try to do this as an exercise as it directly relates to the interior of a set. What is the interior of an open set?

I would say more than 2 open sets will still be open.
Then the interior of an open set is all points included in that set.

Okay. You may want to try proving your first statement (it is usually a result in real analysis). It is important to understand the proofs so you know the details and can understand the details about neighborhoods & open sets. Your second statement makes sense so you may try using these facts to solve your question.

VeeEight said:
Okay. You may want to try proving your first statement (it is usually a result in real analysis). It is important to understand the proofs so you know the details and can understand the details about neighborhoods & open sets. Your second statement makes sense so you may try using these facts to solve your question.

Ok, so I need to prove more than 2 sets will still be open.
A set A[tex]\subset[/tex]R is open iff for each x[tex]\in[/tex]A there is a neighborhood Q of x such that Q[tex]\subset[/tex]A.
So for each open set, there is a neighborhood Q of x. Becuase for each set Q[tex]\subset[/tex]A then there is a neighborhood. Thus, still open?

Let O be the union of your open sets (union O_1, O_2, ...). Then for an arbitrary element of O, call it a, there is some positive integer i such that a neighborhood of a is contained in O_i since all of the O_i's are open. Thus the union is open.

VeeEight said:
Let O be the union of your open sets (union O_1, O_2, ...). Then for an arbitrary element of O, call it a, there is some positive integer i such that a neighborhood of a is contained in O_i since all of the O_i's are open. Thus the union is open.

Ok, so we got that. Now do I go on to showing S[tex]\subset[/tex][tex]D^{\circ}[/tex]?

I believe that we have gone through the tools needed to solve the question so it is up to you to put them together.

Ok, I sort of have an idea.
Let D be arbitrary.
Then Q[tex]\subset[/tex]D will be the interior of D.
Let [tex]D^{\circ}[/tex]=Q[tex]\subset[/tex]D.
We wnat to show [tex]D^{\circ}[/tex] is open.

This is my start.

How did you get off onto proving that the union of open sets is open? The original problem was to prove that the interior of a set is open and that has nothing to do with a union of open sets.

HallsofIvy said:
How did you get off onto proving that the union of open sets is open? The original problem was to prove that the interior of a set is open and that has nothing to do with a union of open sets.

Ok, so I have to use facts about interior points.
The interior is Q[tex]\subset[/tex]D where D is arbitrary, right?

1. What is the concept of an interior point in a neighborhood?

An interior point in a neighborhood refers to a point within a given set or region that is surrounded by other points within that set. In other words, it is a point that is not located on the boundary or edge of the set, but rather lies within the interior or middle of the set.

2. How is the interior point of a neighborhood determined?

The interior point of a neighborhood can be determined by using the concept of open sets. An open set is a set that contains all of its interior points, meaning that every point within the set is also an interior point. By identifying the open sets within a neighborhood, the interior points can be identified.

3. What is the significance of interior points in a neighborhood?

Interior points play an important role in topology and analysis, as they help to define the structure and properties of a given set or space. They can also be used to identify the boundary of a set and to determine whether a point is an isolated point, boundary point, or accumulation point.

4. How does the concept of interior points relate to continuity?

In calculus and analysis, a function is said to be continuous at a point if the limit of the function at that point is equal to the value of the function at that point. The concept of interior points is closely related to this idea, as a function is continuous at a point if and only if the interior points of its domain are mapped to interior points of its range.

5. What is the neighborhood question in regards to interior points?

The neighborhood question is a fundamental question in topology that asks whether every point within a given set can be connected to another point within that set through a series of open sets. In other words, it asks whether every point in a set is an interior point. This question is closely related to the concept of interior points and is used to define the structure of a set or space.