Theories of personal/communication compatibility?

• Thread starter Gerenuk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theories
In summary, there are various theories that attempt to predict compatibility between two people, such as transaction analysis, the Big Five model, and socionics. However, these theories have been criticized as being pseudoscientific and lacking empirical support. Other theories, such as those in evolutionary psychology and social psychology, offer explanations for compatibility based on factors like physical attractiveness and emotional bonds. Ultimately, the concept of compatibility remains complex and there is no definitive theory to accurately predict it.
Gerenuk
What theories do exist that predict compatibility between two people?
Sometimes I talk to people and I think there is just no connection. Or they are just too boring.

I recently read something about transaction analysis. It's not quite communication theory, but it seemed to sort of grasp why with some people one doesn't get the response that one likes.

Any other theories that might predict compatibility between two people in their personalities and communication styles? Roughly speaking the Big Five model and studies about compatible traits do the job. I once heard something about socionics.

Anything else?

Physics news on Phys.org
You might find this interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myers-Briggs_Type_Indicator

My interest in this peaked around ten years ago... at that time I was able to reliably guess what MBTI people around me were before having them to submit them to the testing, so there's at least something repeatable about the testing, whether the results are meaningful or not.

Gerenuk said:
What theories do exist that predict compatibility between two people?
Sometimes I talk to people and I think there is just no connection. Or they are just too boring.

I recently read something about transaction analysis. It's not quite communication theory, but it seemed to sort of grasp why with some people one doesn't get the response that one likes.

Any other theories that might predict compatibility between two people in their personalities and communication styles? Roughly speaking the Big Five model and studies about compatible traits do the job. I once heard something about socionics.

Anything else?

Do not waste your time with these human compatibility theories as I did once. They are pseudoscientific, without empircial support whatsover. Their adherents accept them as a priori true. They are self contained and perfect, impenetrable to criticism. That is, there is nothing wrong with the theories themselves. Anything that appears to contradict them is brushed aside as external forces lying outside of them.

And if you have the chutzpah to object, you will find yourself on the receiving end of a viscious verbal assault from their followers, which is all the more indicative of a pseudoscience at work.

That last thing you mentioned in your post is guilty of all that I mentioned above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evolutionary psychology and social psychology have very interesting theories about this related to dating/mating. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the name of the theories. In social psychology, for example, you will want to date the most beautiful woman, but she wants to date the most beautiful man. So there is a hierarchy based on beauty. If you are number 31, you are likely to date number 31 on the female side. But if for some reason number 2 dies, you will leave number 31 for number 30. Evolutionary psychology explains it in terms of genes. There is also ritual chain theory by Collins, who says people form bonds based on emotional levels in interaction. There was a social psychologist who showed that people who claimed to be friends were very different based on surveys and actually formed friendships more out of propinquity (closeness in space) than anything else. There's much more out there. This is what I can recall.

1. What is the definition of personal/communication compatibility?

Personal/communication compatibility refers to the degree to which two individuals are able to understand, communicate, and get along with each other. It involves a combination of factors including personality traits, communication styles, values, and beliefs.

2. Can personal/communication compatibility be measured?

Yes, there are various measures and assessments that can be used to evaluate personal/communication compatibility. These may include self-report questionnaires, observation of interactions, and feedback from others.

3. What are the benefits of having strong personal/communication compatibility?

Having strong personal/communication compatibility can lead to a more harmonious and fulfilling relationship. It can also improve communication and problem-solving, reduce conflicts, and increase overall satisfaction and well-being.

4. Is personal/communication compatibility static or can it change over time?

Personal/communication compatibility can change over time as individuals grow and evolve. External factors such as life experiences, stress, and relationship dynamics can also influence compatibility. It's important to regularly check in and communicate openly to maintain compatibility.

5. Are there ways to improve personal/communication compatibility?

Yes, there are several ways to improve personal/communication compatibility, such as actively listening to each other, being open and honest, understanding and respecting each other's differences, and regularly engaging in activities or conversations that strengthen the relationship.