Write a matrix to display the information: x=-10.

In summary, the conversation is about creating a matrix to display the information x=-10. The participants are unsure if this is possible and are discussing different methods, such as using an augmented matrix or creating a diagonal of -10.
trujaxchik
Write a matrix to display the information: x=-10.

I'm thinking this matrix would be undefined but I can't remember why I think it should be! Eek!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This makes no sense. How are you supposed to get a matrix to display an equation?

If you can create your own simultaneous equations, then all you have to do is create an augmented matrix and you're done.

Thats what I'm saying! This question absolutely boggles me. I don't understand how to make a matrix out of this unless it is simply [-10].

funny idea, but maybe you could try making it like x = (-10)I
so it'll be like a matrix with a diagonal of -10

1. What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers, symbols, or expressions arranged in rows and columns. It is commonly used in mathematics and computer science to represent and manipulate data.

2. How do you write a matrix?

A matrix is typically written inside a set of square brackets [] with the elements separated by commas. For the given information, the matrix would be written as [x] = [-10].

3. What does the information "x=-10" mean in a matrix?

In this context, x is a variable and -10 is its value. This means that the only element in the matrix is -10 and it is located at the intersection of the first row and first column.

4. Can a matrix have more than one row or column?

Yes, a matrix can have any number of rows and columns as long as the number of elements in each row is equal to the number of elements in each column. For example, a 2x3 matrix has 2 rows and 3 columns.

5. How is a matrix used in science?

Matrices are commonly used in science to represent and analyze data, especially in fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology. They are also used in computer science for data storage and manipulation, and in statistics for data analysis and modeling.