Engineering in Undergrad and Physics in Grad school

In summary: This means that you will have a strong foundation in physics and mathematics, and will be prepared for graduate school. In summary, if you want to go to graduate school in physics, it is advised that you don't major in physics in undergrad. You should consider engineering as an option and study physics and mathematics for a few upper level courses to get into a graduate school.
Quincy
I'm thinking about majoring in ME for undergrad and pursuing physics in grad school since I want to be a physicist. I don't want to major in physics for undergrad because I've heard that job opportunities are extremely slim for students with bachelor degrees in physics, and in case if I can't go to grad school (I'll already be thousands of dollars in debt from college loans), I'll be stuck with a B.S in physics and be jobless if I do physics for undergrad. So, my question is, would I be prepared for grad school without a B.S in Physics? Do you know some other people who did the same thing? How did it turn out for them?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Many grad schools will allow you in based on a qualifying year that requires you complete certain requirements that you would've missed in a ME degree.. Since math requirements are similar, the qualifying year would be filled with the physics courses you would've missed.

On the other hand, if you're smart about, you may be able to use your science options to take some of these physics courses and this would give you an easier qualifying year.

This is a question you would ask a physics adviser though, any forum responses should be taken lightly.

Quincy said:
I don't want to major in physics for undergrad because I've heard that job opportunities are extremely slim for students with bachelor degrees in physics, and in case if I can't go to grad school due to grad school (I'll already be thousands of dollars in debt from college loans), I'll be stuck with a B.S in physics and be jobless if I do physics for undergrad.

The following advice is blunt, but intended to be very helpful:
Don't make life decisions based on rumors you've heard. Make it based on facts that you've researched yourself.

Physics graduates aren't jobless. In fact, they have a high economic value.
http://www.aip.org/statistics/trends/highlite/emp2/emphigh.pdf
http://www.aip.org/statistics/trends/reports/emp.pdf
http://www.aip.org/statistics/trends/highlite/salary/salsum06.pdf

Choppy said:
Physics graduates aren't jobless. In fact, they have a high economic value.

It's really not wise to trust links advocating physics from aip.org. Clearly, they will be biased.

Last edited:
Quincy: I'd definitely go with engineering in undergrad if I were you. If you like, you could pull off a 2nd major in physics or you could just take a few upper level physics courses. That should get you into a grad school if you do well enough. But the engineering degree is a smart move. It will be much easier to find work with an engineering degree than with a pure science degree like math, physics, chem, etc.

Last edited:
Many schools offer programs in Engineering Physics or Engineering Science.

1. What is the difference between studying engineering in undergrad and physics in grad school?

Engineering in undergrad focuses more on the practical application of science and mathematics principles to solve real-world problems, while physics in grad school is more theoretical and focuses on understanding the fundamental laws and principles of the universe.

2. Can I pursue engineering in undergrad and then switch to physics in grad school?

Yes, it is possible to switch fields for graduate studies. However, it may require additional coursework and preparation to bridge the gap between the two disciplines.

3. Is it necessary to have a background in engineering for studying physics in grad school?

No, a background in engineering is not necessary for studying physics in grad school. Many students come from various undergraduate backgrounds, including physics, mathematics, and engineering.

4. Are there any similarities between engineering and physics in terms of coursework?

Both engineering and physics involve a significant amount of mathematics and problem-solving skills. However, engineering courses tend to have a more practical and applied focus, while physics courses have a more theoretical and mathematical focus.

5. What career options are available for someone with an engineering and physics background?

Having a background in both engineering and physics can open up a wide range of career opportunities, including research and development, consulting, teaching, and various positions in industries such as aerospace, energy, and technology.