Expensive Books for Free: The Truth About Book Piracy in Academic Guidance

• Thread starter mathwonk
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around a thread in the academic guidance section titled "expensive books for free" where a site offering free copies of popular texts is linked. There is a debate on whether this site is promoting book piracy, with some members suggesting it should be reported and deleted. The conversation also touches upon using the "report" button and the need for revising the message that appears when it is clicked.
mathwonk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
a thread entitled "expensive books for free" in academic guidance, links to a site offering free copies of popular texts like rudin's principles of analysis, and bragging that "book piracy is not a bad thing".

If this is indeed a piracy site, I suggest it does not belong on here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please report these threads and they will be deleted.

i did not know how to do that. do you just click on the button called "report"?

ok i found the instructions as the very last paragraph of the "global guidelines".

mathwonk said:
i did not know how to do that. do you just click on the button called "report"?

Yes, that's it. Anytime you see a questionable post/topic, you can use the report button to let the mentors know what your concerns are and we can decide how to deal with it.

thank you. i guess i never made it all the way to the bottom of the guidelines before, but now i have.

feel free to delete this thread since it seems inappropriately placed.

mathwonk said:
feel free to delete this thread since it seems inappropriately placed.

No need, I don't think. It may be useful to someone else new who needs to know what to do with the "report" button.

One issue is that "Report" says
Note: This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) and unappropriated posts.
. One can easily interpret this as being for only a subset of PF Guideline violations.

Pointing us towards a pirate site isn't spam, it's not advertising (I gathered it was someone else's site), it wasn't harassment, fighting or rude and it wasn't unappropriated. (I'm not quite sure how a message can be unappropriated anyway)

It was inapproriate in that it advertised something illicit.

I agree that it is inappropriate. But that's not what the message says.

Vanadium 50 said:
One issue is that "Report" says . One can easily interpret this as being for only a subset of PF Guideline violations.

Pointing us towards a pirate site isn't spam, it's not advertising (I gathered it was someone else's site), it wasn't harassment, fighting or rude and it wasn't unappropriated. (I'm not quite sure how a message can be unappropriated anyway)

This is a passage from the PF Guidelines:

Copyright Guidelines:
Copyright infringement is illegal. Physics Forums will enforce the law. Never post an article in its entirety. When posting copyrighted material, please use small sections or link to the article. When posting copyrighted material please give credit to the author in your post.

Solicitations for copyrighted materials of any form will not be permitted. Advertisement of locations where copyrighted materials may be obtained will not be permitted.

So it is a direct violation of the Guidelines.

The REPORT button should be used, despite what it says, on anything that a member feels shouldn't be happening on PF. When in doubt, use it. We will tell you if it is OK and need not be reported in the future.

Zz.

Last edited:
Vanadium 50 said:
You're right. The message that appears when the "Report Post" button is clicked is in desperate need of revision. (I suspect that it's a "canned message" that comes with the vbulletin software, but hopefully Greg can figure out how to edit it.)

I honestly have never read the report message. Only you, Vanadium, would read that and see the error. :biggrin: Hopefully Greg can fix it.

I'm sure I've mentioned it before :tongue:

We've definitely discussed this before. It got lost in the shuffle, I suspect.

I've mentioned it before, and was told to simply ignore that warning. So now I report messages that have attachments pending approval, or should get moved to another subforum.

Some stuff does not violate guidelines, but still benefits from members reporting it. It would be good if that message Vanadium mentioned could be changed to reflect this.

No, it's the word "unappropriated" instead of "inappropriate".

Evo said:
No, it's the word "unappropriated" instead of "inappropriate".

Yes, that's been there for forever. I think we've asked Greg about it before, and it's not something he can change. It just comes with the software...incorrect words and all. :rolleyes:

Vanadium 50 said:
Sorry... it was a poor attempt at a pun. :redface:

1. What is book piracy and how does it affect academic guidance?

Book piracy refers to the illegal distribution of copyrighted materials, including books, without the permission of the author or publisher. In the context of academic guidance, book piracy can lead to students accessing expensive textbooks and resources without paying for them, which can undermine the academic integrity of their work and impact the profits of authors and publishers.

2. Is book piracy a common issue in the academic world?

Yes, book piracy is a widespread issue in the academic world, especially with the rise of digital technology and the availability of various file-sharing platforms. According to a study by the Association of American Publishers, the publishing industry loses an estimated $80 to $100 million annually due to book piracy.

3. Are there any benefits to book piracy for students?

While some students may see book piracy as a way to access expensive textbooks for free, there are no real benefits to engaging in this illegal activity. Not only does it violate copyright laws, but it also undermines the value of academic resources and can harm the authors and publishers who create them.

4. Who is responsible for preventing book piracy in the academic world?

Preventing book piracy is the responsibility of various parties, including authors, publishers, universities, and students. Authors and publishers can take steps to protect their work through copyright laws and digital rights management. Universities can educate students about the consequences of book piracy and promote the use of legal and affordable resources. Ultimately, students must also take accountability for their actions and choose not to engage in book piracy.

5. What are some alternative solutions to book piracy for students?

There are several alternative solutions to book piracy for students, including renting textbooks, purchasing used books, and utilizing online resources such as open educational resources and library databases. Many universities also have programs in place to provide financial assistance to students who cannot afford expensive textbooks. Additionally, students can also reach out to their professors for alternative resources or share textbooks with classmates.