Can we truly define what is an abstraction?

• Thread starter Werg22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Color
In summary: Litx, the entire tumor is treated not just the focal point.In summary, the Litx device uses red light to activate LS11 and create a "kill zone" around the LED array. This kills the tumor cells.
Hurkyl said:
Wrong; it is an extraordinarily useful point of view. For example, it serves to soundly refute many naïve philosophical positions.

That doesn't sound very useful to me, especially since it's unfalsifiable. It sounds more like something for being persuasive rather than informative. You also seem to have implied that it's free of naivety itself.

I think a better argument is to get straight to the point and show examples where people are habitually wrong about the world that is detectable, rather than show how they might be wrong about something that we can't sense (how do you show that anyway? How does that "soundly refute" a philosophical position?)

Of course, we could both admit that it's usefulness is a matter of opinion, but that would be boring I guess.

Physics news on Phys.org
baywax said:
Compared to what? Is there some other way to experience these things?

Compared to a hypothetical being that could see the whole picture of reality - all the EMR spectrum, the quantum world, time at the Planck scale. We are NOwhere near being that, our existence is marred by the few percent of the whole picture that we can see. But even if we had all those capabilities, everything would still be abstraction.

baywax said:
Now for some reason, you know that quantum reality is the "true real nature of the universe"... when physicists have always maintained that the microcosm and macrocosm are separate states and incomparable.

Everyone should know this. If life dies out on this planet, the classical world would disappear and the only thing left will be the quantum reality. There is no classical, Newtonian world without living things. So yes, the fundamental, true universe is that of phase space and quantum reality.

baywax said:
As I've said, the two states, micro and macrocosms are not comparable and do not offer material for analogies of each other. As far as metaphors go... they are truly abstract in nature...:smile:

This i believe is partly true... physicists would not try to unite those 2 worlds in a theory of everything if they thought the worlds ruled by QM and GR were incomparable. I don't think they are wasting their time and billions of tax payers' dollars.

WaveJumper said:
Quantum mechanically you are a collection of "dead" 14 billion years old atoms.

baywax said:
That isn't a quantum reality. Its just a macrocosmic reality.

When we are talking about atoms and/or about the particle zoo, we are leaving what you call the macrocosmic reality and entering the quantum world. Even at the level of the size of your human body, talking about the charges that make up your body still takes us at the quantum level where there are no dead or alive entities, but constant movement of waves/zero-volume point particles. And this has been so for a good 14 billion years.

Last edited:
Pythagorean said:
That doesn't sound very useful to me, especially since it's unfalsifiable. It sounds more like something for being persuasive rather than informative. You also seem to have implied that it's free of naivety itself.

I think a better argument is to get straight to the point and show examples where people are habitually wrong about the world that is detectable, rather than show how they might be wrong about something that we can't sense (how do you show that anyway? How does that "soundly refute" a philosophical position?)

I'll get straight to the point about the examples - people think objects are at rest when every particle they are made of is in constant motion at immense speeds. People think objects are made of "stuff", when solid objects feel solid because of a force called electromagnetism. Switch off electromagnetism and the strong nuclear force and the otherwise "solid" looking objects will disappear. People think solid objects are solid and physical when even the biggest physical thing they have ever seen in their lives - the Sun will disappear into a zero dimensional "point" without a trace if it hits a black hole. This event seems mind boggling only because people usually think of "solid" matter from the perspective of their everyday lives at the Newtonian level. But that's an abstraction created by the mind and the inputs of our "coarse" sensory apparatuses at our level of existence.
People think the universe is lit when in reality it's fundamentally dark. We've "picked" one wavelength of the EMR spectrum and "learned" to use it to find our way in the dark, but fundamentally there is no light and the universe is dark. It's lit only to us, who have this peculiar humany sensory apparatus(and to the animals).
At the fundamental level, the universe is much different to what we think of it, due to the way we see it. Had we used neutrinos instead of photons for our vision, we'd see only extreme light and empty space. Neutrinos can pass through your body, then go on on their journey and pass right through the Earth and exit on other side and head for the sun and pass straigth through it like nothing ever happened and go on on their journey.
So in a sentence, everything we experience at our level of existence is an abstraction - a viewpoint at the universe that is limited, incomplete and rather bizzare.

Last edited:
WaveJumper said:
I'll get straight to the point about the examples - people think objects are at rest when every particle they are made of is in constant motion at immense speeds. People think objects are made of "stuff", when solid objects feel solid because of a force called electromagnetism. Switch off electromagnetism and the strong nuclear force and "solid" objects will disappear. People think the universe is lit when in reality it's fundamentally dark. We've "picked" one wavelength of the EMR spectrum and "learned" to use it to find our way in the dark, but fundamentally there is no light and the universe is dark. It's lit only to us, who have this peculiar humany sensory apparatus(and to the animals).
At the fundamental level, the universe is much different to what we think of it, due to the way we see it. Had we used neutrinos instead of photons for our vision, we'd see only dark empty space. Neutrinos can pass through your body, then go on on their journey and pass right through the Earth and exit on other side and head for the sun and pass straigth through it like nothing ever happened and go on on their journey.
So in a sentence, everything we experience at our level of existence is an abstraction - a viewpoint at the universe that is limited, incomplete rather bizzare.

Your arguments seem to support my conclusion; that there's a tangible reality that we can measure (otherwise, your previous arguments are meaningless)

For instance, when you make arguments like "people think objects are at rest when every particle they are made of is in constant motion at immense speeds" you're saying one view is right and one is wrong, so you're admitting that you have access to what is the correct perspective (i.e. more attuned to the actual reality behind our abstractions).

It's just a matter of intuition vs. empirical data.

What I'm refuting here is the hint of solipsism: "everything is an abstraction". This implies that I may as well not pursue science because it could all be wrong anyway. In this regard, it's useless to me, because I make predictions based on initial conditions and physical laws (as a scientist).

Instead, I think it's more relevant to point out (as you did) where we've had concrete misconceptions about the way things work and actually show how we were wrong (cause, unlike the philosophical argument, it can actually be shown).

CaptainQuasar said:
I have to agree with werg's roommate. This seems like an issue of semantics. Or, not really semantics, but it's an arbitrary aspect of how you choose to apply the notions of concreteness and abstractness. I would expect that when she said that everything in your world is an abstraction, what she really meant is that your approach to the discussion could be used to designate anything as an abstraction.

It's like, on one occasion I was having a discussion with someone and they were making an argument framed around the notion that a knife is an object and sharpness is merely a property of the knife - in essence that for an object to be a knife is a more fundamental aspect of its existence than for it to be sharp. My counterargument was that you could just as well say that you've got a sharp object with the property of knifeness.

So are the common aspects between the phenomena that produce an experience of redness the abstraction, and the other aspects like wavelength the more concrete ones, or is the thing that is common amongst everything - which we're designating "redness" whatever might produce that experience - more concrete and the dissimilar aspects more abstract? Meh.

You could try to say that redness is only in the experience, and hence be trying to advance the notion that red things aren't red when no one is looking, but that does seem like semantics to me - like you'd be intentionally misunderstanding your interlocutor to gird your own position in the discussion.

Is a blurry picture still a picture? Some defining properties of objects include what they used to be and what they serve for. We call a knife a knife because of what it serves for. A knife doesn't have to be of a certain shape, color, smell or texture to be called a knife. I could use a saber in my kitchen and it would be called a knife. A dull knife is still a knife. Is a knife that has been recycled and used to make a fork still a knife? We seem to have some sense of a what can be done to an object before we identify it as something else.

Indeed a sharp object would be a knife it were to be used as a knife. In all cases, "sharpness" is a property that an object called knife must have had at some point, it's not enough to define it though. I'm not really interested in the question "red things aren't red when no one is looking". What I'm interested in is the question of properties of objects that we retain and consider all by themselves. At the basic level, we get a sense of a relationship; a red flower and a red apple have a similar property, at the next level there is usually an adjective: a red apple, a red flower. Finally there is the complete abstraction of the property in question, namely "red".

physicists would not try to unite those 2 worlds in a theory of everything if they thought the worlds ruled by QM and GR were incomparable. I don't think they are wasting their time and billions of tax payers' dollars.

A US President would not spend a trillion dollars invading a country that he thought had WMDs if it didn't have WMDs. But the country didn't have them and he did invade it.
When we are talking about atoms and/or about the particle zoo, we are leaving what you call the macrocosmic reality and entering the quantum world. Even at the level of the size of your human body, talking about the charges that make up your body still takes us at the quantum level where there are no dead or alive entities, but constant movement of waves/zero-volume point particles. And this has been so for a good 14 billion years.

I think you'll find that the macrocosm ends at the atom and the quantum level starts with electrons, photons and other "sub-atomic particles".

http://www.thebigview.com/spacetime/quantumtheory.html

Werg22 said:
Is a blurry picture still a picture? Some defining properties of objects include what they used to be and what they serve for. We call a knife a knife because of what it serves for. A knife doesn't have to be of a certain shape, color, smell or texture to be called a knife. I could use a saber in my kitchen and it would be called a knife. A dull knife is still a knife. Is a knife that has been recycled and used to make a fork still a knife? We seem to have some sense of a what can be done to an object before we identify it as something else.

Is a blurry picture that has been framed still blurry? We call a sharp object a sharp object because it can cut or pierce. A sharp object doesn't have to be of a certain shape, color, smell or texture to be called a sharp object. I could use a sharp object in my kitchen to spread peanut butter on bread, rather than cut anything, and it would be called a sharp object. A rusty sharp object is still a sharp object. Is a sharp object that has been recycled and used to make a smooth, round ball still a sharp object?

(I'm not mocking you, just demonstrating that you can pick any property of an object and treat it the same way you treated the identification of something as a knife.)

Werg22 said:
Indeed a sharp object would be a knife it were to be used as a knife. In all cases, "sharpness" is a property that an object called knife must have had at some point, it's not enough to define it though. I'm not really interested in the question "red things aren't red when no one is looking". What I'm interested in is the question of properties of objects that we retain and consider all by themselves. At the basic level, we get a sense of a relationship; a red flower and a red apple have a similar property, at the next level there is usually an adjective: a red apple, a red flower. Finally there is the complete abstraction of the property in question, namely "red".

What I'm saying is that your designation of redness as the abstract aspect of these phenomena, as opposed to designating it as a concrete aspect, is arbitrary. We could just as well say that there are two red objects and the facts that one of them has appleness and the other has flowerness are the abstractions, the "properties of objects that we retain and consider all by themselves."

Declaring "what that object really, fundamentally is is a knife, and sharpness is just a property of it" or "what that object really, fundamentally is is an apple, and redness is just a property of it" is arbitrary.

Last edited:
CaptainQuasar said:
Declaring "what that object really, fundamentally is is a knife, and sharpness is just a property of it" or "what that object really, fundamentally is is an apple, and redness is just a property of it" is arbitrary.

Are properties such as sharpness and redness arbitrary if they are actually inherent functions of an object? For instance, the colours displayed by flowers are often determined by the time of year during which the flower blooms. By way of evolution this sort of arrangement has come to pass in that the colour corresponds to and acts as an attractor to the specific insects that are present during a season (edit:enabling efficient pollination).

baywax said:
Are properties such as sharpness and redness arbitrary if they are actually inherent functions of an object? For instance, the colours displayed by flowers are often determined by the time of year during which the flower blooms. By way of evolution this sort of arrangement has come to pass in that the colour corresponds to and acts as an attractor to the specific insects that are present during a season (edit:enabling efficient pollination).

Function is arbitrary too. You can use just about anything to hammer a nail into a piece of wood. Some things might work really well, be well-fit for that purpose: a steel meat tenderizer or the medieval weapon called a mace for example, and while they're being used to hammer in nails that's their function even if it was not the intention of the craftsman who made them.

CaptainQuasar said:
Function is arbitrary too. You can use just about anything to hammer a nail into a piece of wood. Some things might work really well, be well-fit for that purpose: a steel meat tenderizer or the medieval weapon called a mace for example, and while they're being used to hammer in nails that's their function even if it was not the intention of the craftsman who made them.

And so assigning abstract or concrete qualities to any function or other property is arbitrary. Or, to put it another way... its all relative.

baywax said:
And so assigning abstract or concrete qualities to any function or other property is arbitrary. Or, to put it another way... its all relative.

I would go even further and say that assigning abstract qualities, concrete qualities, or even function to any phenomenon is arbitrary.

CaptainQuasar said:
I would go even further and say that assigning abstract qualities, concrete qualities, or even function to any phenomenon is arbitrary.

OK then, what is the framework... what's the benchmark... what do we compare all phenomenon to in order to deem it "arbitrary"? In other words you can't label everything arbitrary without having an opposite as a comparison.

Edit: Perhaps it is the individual's opinion that everything is arbitrary that renders all phenomenon arbitrary.
Like an overall, blanketing bias on the individual's part. Especially since the only benchmark I can find to compare
all phenomenon against is the person who decides all phenomenon is arbitrary.

This could be illustrated by a hypothetical person thinking that all phenomenon has arms and legs like they do.

So, in the end perhaps it is the construct of "arbitrariness" that's the only arbitrary phenomenon.

Last edited:
CaptainQuasar said:
Is a blurry picture that has been framed still blurry? We call a sharp object a sharp object because it can cut or pierce. A sharp object doesn't have to be of a certain shape, color, smell or texture to be called a sharp object. I could use a sharp object in my kitchen to spread peanut butter on bread, rather than cut anything, and it would be called a sharp object. A rusty sharp object is still a sharp object. Is a sharp object that has been recycled and used to make a smooth, round ball still a sharp object?

(I'm not mocking you, just demonstrating that you can pick any property of an object and treat it the same way you treated the identification of something as a knife.)

This is a dishonest strawman. " A rusty sharp object is still a sharp object.", no. As soon as the object in question starts losing the property sharpness, it is no longer a sharp object. When a knife loses the property sharpness, it may still qualify as a knife. The difference here is that one is described through a number of properties including use and, to a certain extent, what it used to be, while the other is described on the basis of a single property.

CaptainQuasar said:
What I'm saying is that your designation of redness as the abstract aspect of these phenomena, as opposed to designating it as a concrete aspect, is arbitrary. We could just as well say that there are two red objects and the facts that one of them has appleness and the other has flowerness are the abstractions, the "properties of objects that we retain and consider all by themselves."

The abstractions are not arbitrary. They are the abstractions that serve us the most and by which most definitions of objects can be decomposed. I could abstract "appleness" but that would have little use, aside from describing a relatively small class of objects. On the other hand, "redness", "roundness", "sharpness" and the likes are much more commonly found and can be combined to describe many classes of objects. When we retain abstractions, they should have the desirable property that they are almost if not entirely irreducible in terms of others, and that they can be found in many classes of objects.

Last edited:
Werg22 said:
This is a dishonest strawman. " A rusty sharp object is still a sharp object.", no. As soon as the object in question starts losing the property sharpness, it is no longer a sharp object. When a knife loses the property sharpness, it may still qualify as a knife. The difference here is that one is described through a number of properties including use and, to a certain extent, what it used to be, while the other is described on the basis of a single property.

I agree, but in a sense could say the color red be a property as well in the sense that our perception is an effect of that object. For example, a knife may be sharp, and it can cut your finger. But it is also a specific material which can reflect certain wavelengths of light into your eyes causing the sensation of color. The property "sharp" cuts things, the property we call red causes a specific sensation. True that only a mind perceives the color as a sensation, but a plastic knife can't cut a diamond. So the plastic knife is only sharp when cutting things like butter, and the object is only "red" when it hits our eyes and causes a perception.

The catch is that an objects properties are many, and based on what that object can do, and how it can effect other objects. You could break an object up into atoms, and then even more fundamental particles, and their properties would be associated with what they do, but as a knife, or as a rock, in those terms, they are to us, what they do.

Last edited:
The comparable for determining the arbitrariness of an object or property seems to be whether or not the object or property serves the individual that is making the determination.

baywax said:
OK then, what is the framework... what's the benchmark...

That's what I'm saying, there isn't anyone framework or benchmark that's "correct". There's no divinely ordained set of attributes that is the single axis which can be labeled "concrete" which all other attributes must be regarded as abstract in relation to. You can always come up with different frameworks and different benchmarks.

It's perfectly okay to label something as an abstraction, you just have to be cognizant of and communicate which framework and benchmark you're speaking within. Werg and the roommate couldn't agree because they were using different frameworks.

Werg22 said:
This is a dishonest strawman.

Dishonest? Seriously? Why the hell would I lie to you about anything of this sort?

Also, I don't think you understand what a strawman is. A straw man would be if I was setting up a fake version of your argument that I could knock down easily. The sharpness-as-concrete-property thing is my argument and I'm not knocking it down, I'm arguing in favor of it being equally as possible as knifeness being a concrete property.

Werg22 said:
" A rusty sharp object is still a sharp object.", no. As soon as the object in question starts losing the property sharpness, it is no longer a sharp object.

Rusty and sharp do not exclude each other. If you made a knife out of wrought iron and honed the blade to razor sharpness, then dipped it in water, by the time it dried off it would have a film of rust on it but it would still be razor-sharp.

Werg22 said:
When a knife loses the property sharpness, it may still qualify as a knife.

And similarly a sharp object could lose its property knifeness and still be a sharp object. You could take a steel knife and forge it into a flanged spearhead and attach it to a spear and it would still be a sharp object although it was no longer a knife.

Or you could take a knapped flint stone knife and smash it and you'd have a handful of small sharp objects that are not knives.

Werg22 said:
The difference here is that one is described through a number of properties including use and, to a certain extent, what it used to be, while the other is described on the basis of a single property.

I would concede that the description or definition of a sharp object is a simpler definition that that of a knife. But that doesn't mean that "sharp object" is an abstraction and "knife" is a totally concrete concept. Complexity of definition is not related to whether something can be an abstraction or not. You could have an abstraction with an extremely complex definition or an abstraction with an extremely simple definition.

Werg22 said:
The abstractions are not arbitrary. They are the abstractions that serve us the most and by which most definitions of objects can be decomposed. I could abstract "appleness" but that would have little use, aside from describing a relatively small class of objects. On the other hand, "redness", "roundness", "sharpness" and the likes are much more commonly found and can be combined to describe many classes of objects. When we retain abstractions, they should have the desirable property that they are almost if not entirely irreducible in terms of others, and that they can be found in many classes of objects.

Okay, this is just silly. Now you're admitting that any aspect of an object can be framed as the abstraction, and any as the concrete aspects. But you're insisting that your abstractions are right and my abstractions or your roommate's abstractions are wrong because yours are the best and most special - they have "desireable properties" and cover large classes of objects, eh? - and ours lack utility or something? Whatever.

You must realize that you're now no longer arguing that the color red is an abstraction but rather that it's a good abstraction, or that it's better to think of it as an abstraction than to think of it as concrete. Here's a gold star sticker, go ahead and put it on your abstractions which are the only valid ones because they're the bestest ever.

Another point - you guys know about Plato's concept of "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_Forms#The_pure_land", right? Plato basically said that objects themselves are abstractions or shadows of more real things, the Forms.

(Though I don't personally think that's really workable. But the point is, this argument has been going on for several thousand years.)

Last edited by a moderator:
CaptainQuasar said:
You can always come up with different frameworks and different benchmarks.

Only if you're thinking in an abstract manner.

In order to establish concrete frameworks, benchmarks and compliments to abstraction, one can only rely on the empirical, predictive and quantitative powers of the sciences. We can't go around, willy nilly, deciding something is abstract because of this different framework I've come up with. That sort of blasphemy is the fodder of religion.

baywax said:
Only if you're thinking in an abstract manner.

In order to establish concrete frameworks, benchmarks and compliments to abstraction, one can only rely on the empirical, predictive and quantitative powers of the sciences. We can't go around, willy nilly, deciding something is abstract because of this different framework I've come up with. That sort of blasphemy is the fodder of religion.

Okay, so you're saying there's One True Framework that science hands down to us? Where does it derive from? And why is it that every few decades the scientific community says "oh, crap, we got everything wrong" and rewrites everything? Like the way physics and chemistry were completely re-structured due to the discoveries of quantum phenomena, or the way that the taxonomy of species in botany has been completely rearranged on a genetic basis during just the last few decades.

An empirical approach is to not assume that there's this one obvious framework that everyone just "knows".

Hey, if you think you can scientifically or empirically prove that redness is absolutely an abstraction and knifeness absolutely is concrete, go ahead and do so. I don't think you'll be able to do any better than Werg there; all you'll be able to say is that for some particular purpose of analysis there's more utility in labeling one or the other as the abstraction.

It is not scientific to make up authority out of thin air where there is none and claim that you know the "true" concrete aspects of the world and which things are "truly" abstractions. That sort of blasphemy is the fodder of religion.

CaptainQuasar said:
That sort of blasphemy is the fodder of religion.
Religion has nothing to do with it. That sort of blasphemy appears in all walks of life.

Just to point out, that "blasphemy" line isn't mine, I was simply repeating baywax's use of it. (sarcastically.)

CaptainQuasar said:
Just to point out, that "blasphemy" line isn't mine, I was simply repeating baywax's use of it. (sarcastically.)
Good point. Shame on baywax, then.

CaptainQuasar said:
That's what I'm saying, there isn't anyone framework or benchmark that's "correct". There's no divinely ordained set of attributes that is the single axis which can be labeled "concrete" which all other attributes must be regarded as abstract in relation to. You can always come up with different frameworks and different benchmarks.

It's perfectly okay to label something as an abstraction, you just have to be cognizant of and communicate which framework and benchmark you're speaking within. Werg and the roommate couldn't agree because they were using different frameworks.
Dishonest? Seriously? Why the hell would I lie to you about anything of this sort?

Also, I don't think you understand what a strawman is. A straw man would be if I was setting up a fake version of your argument that I could knock down easily. The sharpness-as-concrete-property thing is my argument and I'm not knocking it down, I'm arguing in favor of it being equally as possible as knifeness being a concrete property.
Rusty and sharp do not exclude each other. If you made a knife out of wrought iron and honed the blade to razor sharpness, then dipped it in water, by the time it dried off it would have a film of rust on it but it would still be razor-sharp.
And similarly a sharp object could lose its property knifeness and still be a sharp object. You could take a steel knife and forge it into a flanged spearhead and attach it to a spear and it would still be a sharp object although it was no longer a knife.

Or you could take a knapped flint stone knife and smash it and you'd have a handful of small sharp objects that are not knives.
I would concede that the description or definition of a sharp object is a simpler definition that that of a knife. But that doesn't mean that "sharp object" is an abstraction and "knife" is a totally concrete concept. Complexity of definition is not related to whether something can be an abstraction or not. You could have an abstraction with an extremely complex definition or an abstraction with an extremely simple definition.
Okay, this is just silly. Now you're admitting that any aspect of an object can be framed as the abstraction, and any as the concrete aspects. But you're insisting that your abstractions are right and my abstractions or your roommate's abstractions are wrong because yours are the best and most special - they have "desireable properties" and cover large classes of objects, eh? - and ours lack utility or something? Whatever.

You must realize that you're now no longer arguing that the color red is an abstraction but rather that it's a good abstraction, or that it's better to think of it as an abstraction than to think of it as concrete. Here's a gold star sticker, go ahead and put it on your abstractions which are the only valid ones because they're the bestest ever.

Hey, they're not just my abstractions. That's why redness, roundness and sharpness are actual words, while "appleness" and "flowerness" aren't.

All you have basically done is throw the classic "everything is relative".

Werg22 said:
Hey, they're not just my abstractions. That's why redness, roundness and sharpness are actual words, while "appleness" and "flowerness" aren't.

All you have basically done is throw the classic "everything is relative".

Well there's a reason why it's a classic and that's because it's pretty frequently true.

If you want to believe that your 21st century English vocabulary somehow determines reality, go ahead. (And feel free to ignore phrases such as "like an apple" or "like a flower" as you're already doing, of course.) But if all you've got is "it's conventional" or "it's traditional" or utilitarian arguments I have to maintain that you're being pretty arbitrary if you want to use that to insist that you're in possession of some absolute and correct definition of what is an abstraction and what is concrete.

Like I said, it's perfectly fine to talk about redness as an abstraction if you're doing so in a particular context. But when you yourself are saying things like a sabre is a knife when you're using it in your kitchen, and there are plastic knives and stone knives and scalpels and Crocodile Dundee buck knives, it seems ludicrous to me to insist that in some absolute or non-contextual sense "knife" is a concrete concept but "color" is a total abstraction.

CaptainQuasar said:
Okay, so you're saying there's One True Framework that science hands down to us? Where does it derive from? And why is it that every few decades the scientific community says "oh, crap, we got everything wrong" and rewrites everything? Like the way physics and chemistry were completely re-structured due to the discoveries of quantum phenomena, or the way that the taxonomy of species in botany has been completely rearranged on a genetic basis during just the last few decades.

An empirical approach is to not assume that there's this one obvious framework that everyone just "knows".

Hey, if you think you can scientifically or empirically prove that redness is absolutely an abstraction and knifeness absolutely is concrete, go ahead and do so. I don't think you'll be able to do any better than Werg there; all you'll be able to say is that for some particular purpose of analysis there's more utility in labeling one or the other as the abstraction.

It is not scientific to make up authority out of thin air where there is none and claim that you know the "true" concrete aspects of the world and which things are "truly" abstractions. That sort of blasphemy is the fodder of religion.

Here's some definitions of our pivotal terminology.

Abstract

abstract
adjective |abˈstrakt; ˈabˌstrakt|
existing in thought or as an idea but not having a physical or concrete existence : abstract concepts such as love or beauty.
• dealing with ideas rather than events : the novel was too abstract and esoteric to sustain much attention.
• not based on a particular instance; theoretical : we have been discussing the problem in a very abstract manner.
• (of a word, esp. a noun) denoting an idea, quality, or state rather than a concrete object : abstract words like truth or equality.
• of or relating to abstract art : abstract pictures that look like commercial color charts.
verb |abˈstrakt| [ trans. ]
1 consider (something) theoretically or separately from something else : to abstract science and religion from their historical context can lead to anachronism.
• [ intrans. ] form a general idea in this way : he cannot form a general notion by abstracting from particulars.
2 extract or remove (something) : applications to abstract more water from streams.
• used euphemistically to say that someone has stolen something : his pockets contained all he had been able to abstract from the apartment.
• ( abstract oneself) withdraw : as our relationship deepened you seemed to abstract yourself.
3 make a written summary of (an article or book) : staff who index and abstract material for an online database.
noun |ˈabˌstrakt|
1 a summary or statement of the contents of a book, article, or formal speech : the abstracts must be as concise as possible.
2 an abstract work of art : a big unframed abstract.
3 ( the abstract) that which is abstract; the theoretical consideration of something : the abstract must be made concrete by examples.
PHRASES
in the abstract in a general way; without reference to specific instances : there's a fine line between promoting U.S. business interests in the abstract and promoting specific companies.
DERIVATIVES
abstractly adverb
abstractor |-tər| noun ( in sense 3 of the verb ).
ORIGIN Middle English : from Latin abstractus, literally ‘drawn away,’ past participle of abstrahere, from ab- ‘from’ + trahere ‘draw off.’

Thesaurus
abstract
adjective
1 abstract concepts theoretical, conceptual, notional, intellectual, metaphysical, ideal, philosophical, academic; rare ideational. antonym actual, concrete.
2 abstract art nonrepresentational, nonpictorial. antonym representational.
verb
1 we'll be abstracting material for an online database summarize, précis, abridge, condense, compress, shorten, cut down, abbreviate, synopsize; rare epitomize.
2 he abstracted the art of tragedy from its context extract, isolate, separate, detach.
noun
an abstract of her speech summary, synopsis, précis, résumé, outline, abridgment, digest, summation; wrap-up.

Arbitary

arbitrary |ˈärbiˌtrerē|
adjective
based on random choice or personal whim, rather than any reason or system : his mealtimes were entirely arbitrary.
• (of power or a ruling body) unrestrained and autocratic in the use of authority : arbitrary rule by King and bishops has been made impossible.
• Mathematics (of a constant or other quantity) of unspecified value.
DERIVATIVES
arbitrarily |ˌärbiˈtre(ə)rəlē| adverb
arbitrariness noun
ORIGIN late Middle English (in the sense [dependent on one's will or pleasure, discretionary] ): from Latin arbitrarius, from arbiter ‘judge, supreme ruler,’ perhaps influenced by French arbitraire.

Thesaurus
arbitrary
adjective
1 an arbitrary decision capricious, whimsical, random, chance, unpredictable; casual, wanton, unmotivated, motiveless, unreasoned, unsupported, irrational, illogical, groundless, unjustified; personal, discretionary, subjective. antonym reasoned, rational.
2 the arbitrary power of the prince autocratic, dictatorial, autarchic, undemocratic, despotic, tyrannical, authoritarian, high-handed; absolute, uncontrolled, unlimited, unrestrained. antonym democratic.

Oxford's English Dictionary

So, our discussion is based on the idea that colour exists only in thought or is an abstract idea. That must mean that the absorption rate of the colour red is just an idea in our heads and not a physical property. This lead to the abstraction that physical properties are abstract because we can only evaluate them by delineating the idea of a property as abstract.

What everyone is forgetting is that there is an process taking place that produces the idea or the abstraction of colour and all macrocosmic and physical properties. Its the physical event of neuronal interaction that gives us the idea or the abstraction of all properties.

This neurological event that creates an idea, a decision and even a metaphor is superior to all abstraction and generation of ideas. This is because, as has been demonstrated for eons, when you take away the neurological processes of the brain, suddenly there are no more abstractions taking place. So here it is plain to see that a concrete function is the root of all abstract ideas and is therefore proof that there is a concrete, comparable and complementary state to the state of abstraction. And this phenomenon that dictates how and where ideas and abstractions arise offers a glimpse into the true reality of nature and its many, separate states... particularly the microcosmic and macrocosmic states.

baywax said:
So, our discussion is based on the idea that colour exists only in thought or is an abstract idea.

This is not my interpretation of what we're discussing. "Exists only in thought" and "is an abstraction" do not mean the same thing. If you're talking only about the experience of seeing red in your head, rather than the property or nature that red objects or environments have in common, this was my response to that from my first post in the thread:

CaptainQuasar said:
You could try to say that redness is only in the experience, and hence be trying to advance the notion that red things aren't red when no one is looking, but that does seem like semantics to me - like you'd be intentionally misunderstanding your interlocutor to gird your own position in the discussion.

So, what I have been talking about above is the property or nature that red objects or environments have in common and whether or not that absolutely must be regarded as an abstraction.

CaptainQuasar said:
This is not my interpretation of what we're discussing. "Exists only in thought" and "is an abstraction" do not mean the same thing. If you're talking only about the experience of seeing red in your head, rather than the property or nature that red objects or environments have in common, this was my response to that from my first post in the thread:

So, what I have been talking about above is the property or nature that red objects or environments have in common and whether or not that absolutely must be regarded as an abstraction.

That's a relief. Logically, if abstraction is the product of physical, cognitive interpretation of other physical events then abstractions, illusions and concepts are physical in nature themselves.

Our brains interpret the physical events that stimulate it. The events can be internal stimulus or external stimulus. Our interpretations may be wrong or anthropocentric to assign certain values, symbols or qualities to certain events, but that doesn't disqualify the event as being physical and actually taking place.

CaptainQuasar said:
Well there's a reason why it's a classic and that's because it's pretty frequently true.

If you want to believe that your 21st century English vocabulary somehow determines reality, go ahead. (And feel free to ignore phrases such as "like an apple" or "like a flower" as you're already doing, of course.) But if all you've got is "it's conventional" or "it's traditional" or utilitarian arguments I have to maintain that you're being pretty arbitrary if you want to use that to insist that you're in possession of some absolute and correct definition of what is an abstraction and what is concrete.

Like I said, it's perfectly fine to talk about redness as an abstraction if you're doing so in a particular context. But when you yourself are saying things like a sabre is a knife when you're using it in your kitchen, and there are plastic knives and stone knives and scalpels and Crocodile Dundee buck knives, it seems ludicrous to me to insist that in some absolute or non-contextual sense "knife" is a concrete concept but "color" is a total abstraction.

From post #40:

At the basic level, we get a sense of a relationship; a red flower and a red apple have a similar property, at the next level there is usually an adjective: a red apple, a red flower. Finally there is the complete abstraction of the property in question, namely "red".

Where did I say that "knife" is a concrete concept? Are ghosts and unicorns concrete concepts? I hold them on the same pedestal as knife.

Werg22 said:
Where did I say that "knife" is a concrete concept? Are ghosts and unicorns concrete concepts? I hold them on the same pedestal as knife.

Concepts are concrete events so they do exist on an equal footing whether they are concepts of ghosts or concepts of colour.

The difference is in the fact that the stimulus your brain has received concerning unicorns has come from word of mouth or by written word or by illustrations. All of which are abstractions of what may or may not be a real, physical phenomenon. With a colour however, your brain is stimulated by a colourful event and it creates an interpretive concept of an actual, physical event. Through the physical process of abstraction, your brain assigns a term like "red" to the physical event.

[edit] this assignment of terminology (or what many are calling abstraction) is a survival trait. It not only works toward the survival of the individual but also helps a communicating group of individuals to survive. So that, when I say "red sky in the morning, sailor's warning" the next person preparing to sail checks the sky for a condition that has been termed a "red" sky.

extra edit: If the brain had to say... "the quality of light that has a blah dee blah absorption rate, or is such and such a wavelength of light" instead of "red"... I doubt we would be talking about this today... because there'd be no human species left to make quick, abbreviated abstractions about natural, physical events.

Last edited:
WaveJumper said:
"Matter" is merely vacuum fluctuations

At least their not saying matter is a result of mass hypnosis or some grand hologram that's projected by people's existential abstractions.

baywax said:
At least their not saying matter is a result of mass hypnosis or some grand hologram that's projected by people's existential abstractions.

yeah, that's pretty much the kind of view I find useless.

Werg22 said:
From post #40:

At the basic level, we get a sense of a relationship; a red flower and a red apple have a similar property, at the next level there is usually an adjective: a red apple, a red flower. Finally there is the complete abstraction of the property in question, namely "red".

Okay, so if there are no concrete concepts, if "knife" and "red" and everything else are as insubstantial to you as "unicorn", then as your roommate was saying "everything in your world is an abstraction". That's what I have been agreeing with all along. As I said from the very beginning, your approach could be used to declare anything at all to be an abstraction.

And furthermore, if "knife" is as insubstantial and non-concrete as a unicorn, I don't get why the heck you were accusing me of being dishonest for saying that knifeness could be regarded as an abstraction. The way you're behaving doesn't make sense to me.

Much has already been said but given I have an inflated estimate of my own opinion's value... here's my $0.02 worth.

From the perspective of science all "things" are abstractions since the epistemological atom of science is the observed phenomenon. A coherent system of phenomena (e.g. we see a bright light in the sky every night which correlates with tides and werewolf bites) which is sufficiently consistent is abstracted to an ontological object (e.g. the moon).

Now color is less so since it is a stimulatory phenomenon instead of an object. It is a relative phenomenon in that it depends on our physiological sensory make-up as opposed to say a broad spectrum spectrometer.

Finally the meta-concept of abstraction is really itself better used in a relative context as a comparative. "number" is an abstraction on "5" which is an abstraction on "5 ducks" which is an abstraction on "I see many phenomena which resolve into 5 sets of 'ducklike' perceptions.' ... ad infinitum.

You'll never successfully find the primary atoms from which all is abstracted. Rather you just dive in with tentative "object" definitions and abstract or modify definitions on the fly until things stabilize within the context in which you are working. Be aware of this fluid aspect of language and then beware of shifts in context which alter semantic meaning.

Last edited: