% Ionization vs. Concentration of Strong Acid

In summary, the % ionization of a strong acid decreases as the initial concentration of the ionized acid is increased. This is due to the fact that strong acids are, by definition, always dissociated in 100%, so as the concentration increases, the remaining percentage of undissociated acid decreases. This trend follows the same pattern as weak acids, where the % ionization increases as the initial concentration decreases. This is because in pure acids, there are no lone electron pairs to accept the released proton during dissociation, but in diluted acids, this becomes possible. However, there are exceptions to this trend, such as in the case of pure sulfuric acid, which still has some dissociation despite being a strong acid.
[AFT]
I solved an assignment problem and I came to the conclusion that the % ionization of a strong acid decreases as the initial concentration of the ionized acid is increased.

I don't fully understand why this is..?

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Strong acid is - by definition - always dissociated in 100%. So your solution must be somehow wrong.

Well, there are no THAT strong acids, so you are generally right. The higher the concentration, the lower the ionization percent.

I am not sure it makes sense to try to look for some specific explanation. You may try to analyze it in terms of LeChatelier's principle (very weak approach), you may treat it just as a conclusion of the dissociation constant definition (the one that you arrived at), you may think about it this way - pure acid is not dissociated, infinitely diluted acid is dissociated 100%, everything inbetween must follow the trend. Not sure if any of these adds anything new to the problem.

Thanks for the prompt reply!

I did some further research and found that the % ionization of a weak acid/base increases as its initial concentration decreases (becomes more dilute). I guess this conclusion for strong acids follows the trend of the weak.

But why can't pure acid not be dissociated?

It is not that they can't, but dissociation means releasing the proton. This proton has to be attached to something, it doesn't flow in the liquid on itself. In water it finds its place in the lone electron pair of water molecules, in most pure acids there are no lone pairs that could accept it. Still, to some extent it happens. For example for pure sulfuric acid reaction

2H2SO4 -> H3SO4+ + HSO4-

has an equilibrium constant 10-2.9 - much higher than analogous reaction for water (10-14 - nothing else but water ion product). But sulfuric acid is an exclusion.

I see... Thanks for the clarification!

1. What is % Ionization and how does it relate to concentration of strong acid?

% Ionization is the measure of the dissociation of a strong acid in a solution. It represents the percentage of the acid molecules that have ionized into their corresponding ions. The % ionization and concentration of a strong acid are directly related, meaning that as the concentration increases, the % ionization also increases.

2. How do you calculate % Ionization from the concentration of a strong acid?

To calculate % Ionization, you need to know the initial concentration of the strong acid and the concentration of the acid that has ionized. Then, you divide the concentration of the ionized acid by the initial concentration and multiply by 100 to get the % ionization.

3. What is the significance of % Ionization in chemistry?

% Ionization is an important concept in chemistry because it helps us understand the strength of acids. A higher % ionization means a stronger acid, while a lower % ionization indicates a weaker acid. This information is crucial in various applications, such as in determining the pH of a solution and predicting the reactivity of different substances.

4. Can the % Ionization of a strong acid be 100%?

No, the % ionization of a strong acid cannot be 100%. This is because even in concentrated solutions, a small percentage of the acid molecules will still remain undissociated. However, as the concentration of the strong acid increases, the % ionization will approach 100%.

5. How does temperature affect % Ionization of a strong acid?

Generally, an increase in temperature leads to a higher % ionization of a strong acid. This is because higher temperatures provide more energy for the acid molecules to break apart into ions, resulting in a greater % ionization. However, this relationship may vary depending on the specific acid and its properties.