Fourier transformation: power spectrum

In summary, the topic of discussion is about high-order harmonic generation in intense laser-atom physics and how to obtain the harmonic spectrum using the Monte Carlo method. The conversation also includes a question about using the Fourier transformation of the trajectory of an electron in a 3D Hydrogen system to obtain the harmonic spectrum. The suggestion to look up the Wiener Khinchin theorem is given, and a follow-up question is asked regarding calculating the autocorrelation function for a 3D spatial coordinate.
xylai
Lots of works about the high-order harmonic generation in the intense laser-atom physics obtain the harmonic spectrum by Fourier transformation of the dipole moment d(t) (=[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\varphi\varphi^{*}[/tex]z):
p([tex]\omega[/tex])=|[tex]\frac{1}{tf-ti}[/tex][tex]\int d(t)exp(-i\omega)[/tex]dt|[tex]^{2}[/tex]

Here, I want to use the Monte-Carlo method to generate the Harmonics. The trajectory r(t) of an electron in 3D Hydrogen system can be get. Then how can I obtain the harmonic spectrum for one electron? Can I use the Fourier transformation of r(t) directly?
p([tex]\omega[/tex])=|[tex]\frac{1}{tf-ti}[/tex][tex]\int r(t)*cos(\theta)exp(-i\omega)[/tex]dt|[tex]^{2}[/tex]
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest looking up the Wiener Khinchin theorem.

IPart said:

Thank you! :)
Happy New Year!

IPart said:

Yesterday, I look up the Wiener Khinchin theorem. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiener–Khinchin_theorem)
The paper shows what the Wiener Khinchin theorem is and how we can use this theory.
Here I have another question:
Usually, the electron moves around the proton in the real space. x(t) is in the 3 dimensional spatial coordinate.
If we want to use the Wiener Khinchin theorem, first we need calculate the autocorrelation function.
My question is if x(t) is in the 3 dimensional spatial coordinate, how can we calculate the autocorrelation function?
Thank you!

1. What is Fourier transformation and how is it related to power spectrum?

Fourier transformation is a mathematical tool used to decompose a signal into its component frequencies. It is related to power spectrum because the power spectrum is a representation of the signal's power at different frequencies, which can be obtained through Fourier transformation.

2. How is power spectrum used in signal processing and analysis?

Power spectrum is used to identify the frequency components of a signal and their corresponding power. It is also used to study the characteristics and behavior of a signal, such as periodicity and noise levels.

3. Can Fourier transformation be applied to non-periodic signals?

Yes, Fourier transformation can be applied to both periodic and non-periodic signals. However, the resulting power spectrum may be more useful for periodic signals as it can reveal the dominant frequencies and their harmonics.

4. What is the difference between power spectrum and amplitude spectrum?

Power spectrum represents the power of a signal at different frequencies, while amplitude spectrum represents the amplitude or magnitude of the signal at different frequencies. Power spectrum is generally preferred as it takes into account both the amplitude and phase information of the signal.

5. How can the power spectrum be visualized?

The power spectrum can be visualized using a graph with frequency on the x-axis and power on the y-axis. It can also be represented using a spectrogram, which plots the power spectrum over time, allowing for the analysis of frequency changes in a signal.