Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

• Thread starter Wellesley
  • Start date
In summary, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) is a prestigious private research university located in Troy, New York. It was founded in 1824 and is known for its strong programs in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. RPI is also a leader in sustainability and has a strong commitment to interdisciplinary education and research. It is home to over 7,000 undergraduate and graduate students and offers a wide range of academic programs, including a renowned architecture program. RPI has a strong reputation for producing successful and innovative graduates, and its alumni include numerous Nobel Prize winners, inventors, and CEOs.
Wellesley
Hi,

Does anyone know anything about this school? I'm thinking about applying there, but I'm not sure what kind of reputation they have in Engineering. Is their program, especially the Chemical Engineering program, well known? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
I went to RPI in the 90's (BS Engineering Physics and MS Physics), and I loved it. I would have done my PhD there if my thesis advisor hadn't died. RPI's strongest suit is engineering, and there is a ton of funding for research. Undergrads are encouraged to participate. I don't know too much about the Chemical Engineering Department in particular, but the School of Engineering as a whole is routinely ranked in the top 25. It's also one of the most "wired" campuses in the country.

Did you have a hard time finding a job, or did companies want to hire you while you were still in College?

*I* had a hard time finding a job, but only because of the death of my adviser. I was a partially finished PhD in physics, and nobody's going to hire you as a physicist without a PhD. But my story is well outside the norm. My friends who left RPI with a BS in Engineering did fine. Many of them did a co-op while they were undergrads, and were hired by the company for whom they co-oped.

I don't think I can recommend going there (I'm a student)---it's a pretty bad mess here right now, partly due to the economic crisis. most of the students are very upset with the current administration, and I believe a lot of the non tenure-track professors are being let go, so the class sizes will probably be pretty large for engineering classes, which were already oversized.

I suggest checking out www.rpinsider.com[/url] and [url]http://blogs.timesunion.com/business/?p=6107[/URL] . I've heard also that they are eliminating creative writing and foreign languages. There's probably other schools that are of the same calibur that aren't having problems of this magnitude.

Last edited by a moderator:
axeae said:
There's probably other schools that are of the same calibur that aren't having problems of this magnitude.

I wouldn't be so sure of that...

Never attended, but I worked with a summer-intern who was in the Chem-E track, and who was very sharp. She was quite knowledgeable and quick to pick up on subtleties, as was another intern from McGill, who worked on process-automation projects. These northern-region schools were pretty good feeder programs for our pulp and paper business. I was in production (paper machine operator) at the time, but had previously put in over 4 years as a process chemist in the pulp mill prior to the construction of the paper machine. Chemists actually made a lot less money than production-staff at the time, so I switched.

My advising professor went to Rensselear and she seemed to turn out all right, although being a private school I would be a little worried right now. During economic hardships private schools can have some serious financial trouble as axeae said.

I would look into the local newspapers of the schools you applied to and see how thosr schools are handling things---most of rpi's problems started before the financial crisis so we're having an especially rough time

axeae said:
I don't think I can recommend going there (I'm a student)---it's a pretty bad mess here right now, partly due to the economic crisis. most of the students are very upset with the current administration, and I believe a lot of the non tenure-track professors are being let go, so the class sizes will probably be pretty large for engineering classes, which were already oversized.

I suggest checking out www.rpinsider.com[/url] and [url]http://blogs.timesunion.com/business/?p=6107[/URL] . I've heard also that they are eliminating creative writing and foreign languages. There's probably other schools that are of the same calibur that aren't having problems of this magnitude.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link and the tips..I have a feeling they will come in handy.
Isn't there trouble at every college, due to the economy? As Cincinnatus alluded to, I have a feeling most colleges are a mess right now because of the finacial crisis. I guess my question now is, is RPI worth 50K? If I get a scholarship, and the price tag is less, is this school worth it? Compared to, for example, University of Minnesota (I heard from another thread that they've got a [I]good[/I] ChemE program)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wellesley said:
Hi,

Does anyone know anything about this school? I'm thinking about applying there, but I'm not sure what kind of reputation they have in Engineering. Is their program, especially the Chemical Engineering program, well known? Thanks in advance for any advice.

I went there (BS in '91), and have been very pleased with the forward-thinking that has occurred there since (in terms of continuing development of the institution). Although, Troy is a terrible city to live in- there is literally nothing to do but study or drink. You will work hard, feel stupid, be jealous of your high school friends that went elsewhere and can party during spring break, but come out very well-positioned.

Wellesley said:
Isn't there trouble at every college, due to the economy? As Cincinnatus alluded to, I have a feeling most colleges are a mess right now because of the finacial crisis. I guess my question now is, is RPI worth 50K?

Every college is in trouble, but not like RPI is. I don't know if you've looked at the links I've sent yet, but the administration has been treating the faculty (tenured) so poorly that I'd imagine as soon as they could, they'd probably try and find a job elsewhere---'it's much worse here than you guys think.

I just don't see a reason to justify paying the ~50k/yr. Have you looked at some of the other big engineering schools, or the smaller non-phd schools like Harvey-Mudd? I don't know anything about their chemical engineering but they're supposed to be pretty top-notch in everything else.

axeae said:
Have you looked at some of the other big engineering schools, or the smaller non-phd schools like Harvey-Mudd? I don't know anything about their chemical engineering but they're supposed to be pretty top-notch in everything else.

Sort of...I'm still trying to figure out which are the best ChemE schools out there. I know about University of Minnesota, Georgia Tech, Cal Poly Pomona, Purdue and Washington State. Other than that, I'm not sure. If you don't mind, would you sharing what you think is the top engineering school? Thanks.

Wellesley said:
Sort of...I'm still trying to figure out which are the best ChemE schools out there. I know about University of Minnesota, Georgia Tech, Cal Poly Pomona, Purdue and Washington State. Other than that, I'm not sure. If you don't mind, would you sharing what you think is the top engineering school? Thanks.
The University of Maine at Orono has a well-respected chemical engineering program, and if you have good grades or perform well in the freshman engineering track, you could qualify for a 5-year Pulp and Paper scholarship. It's not dirt-cheap for out-of-state students, but as an old land-grant university, they have managed to keep tuition reasonable compared to private schools.

axeae said:
Every college is in trouble, but not like RPI is. I don't know if you've looked at the links I've sent yet, but the administration has been treating the faculty (tenured) so poorly that I'd imagine as soon as they could, they'd probably try and find a job elsewhere---'it's much worse here than you guys think.

Everyone thinks it's worse where they are... I've been associated with RPI in the past and I guarantee you that they are doing much better than my undergraduate institution...

I've been in the same position you are when talking to prospective students... I've felt very conflicted between not wanting to discourage potentially good students from going to my alma mater. I care quite a bit about my old university improving... or at least not completely falling apart in this crisis... But at the same time I don't know if I can really truthfully recommend the place right now...

Really, RPI is like looking at the stars compared to this other place right now.

Cincinnatus said:
Everyone thinks it's worse where they are... I've been associated with RPI in the past and I guarantee you that they are doing much better than my undergraduate institution...

You've been associated with RPI in the past... I go there now---it's a really bad time and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Email a few of the professors at RPI and ask them what they think.

The problems at RPI have been happening long before this year's economic downturn; I understand that a lot of schools are in trouble, but RPI's are more than that. From the outside, it looks like RPI is doing fine because of all of the spending (Empac, Athletic village) but the fact is, that spending is the reason why there was a near vote of no-confidence against the president of RPI, and shortly after, the faculty senate was disbanded.

To the orginal poster, I'm not an engineering student, so I'm not sure of what schools are the best for chemical engineering, but I'd probably look into Berkeley, Stanford, Harvey-Mudd, Rose-Hulman, and I thought I heard University of Toronto was pretty good, but you'd probably have to check.

I'm an alumni - BS in CompSci in '96. Highly recommended school, especially for engineering. Hired right away, and made bank in the dot com boom. My main issue with RPI was too much theory, too little application. I didn't have my own computer, and we used Unix workstations - I barely had seen Windows, and didn't even know how to insert a CD in a computer until junior year in '94. A co-op (internship) helped me along, and I got the practical experience during the year I worked at Digital Equipment. Good luck!

axeae said:
I'd probably look into Berkeley, Stanford, Harvey-Mudd, Rose-Hulman, and I thought I heard University of Toronto was pretty good, but you'd probably have to check.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've heard about Berkeley and Rose-Hulman, but I didn't know about the others.

gtring said:
My main issue with RPI was too much theory, too little application.
Thanks for the heads-up as I'm looking for a more pratical school, rather than a theoretical one.

Last edited:
gtring said:
My main issue with RPI was too much theory, too little application.

Really? That certainly wasn't the case in engineering when I went there (BS 1995). My major was Engineering Physics (arguably the most theoretical of the engineering majors). Sure there were many theoretical math-based courses, but I also took...

* Intro to Engineering Design
* NEEP Lab
* Circuits Lab
* Lab Intro to Embedded Control
* Senior Design Project

All of these courses were practical, hands-on applications. These were just the required courses, and I'm not even counting all the science courses I took that had a lab component. I could have taken even more hands on courses if I hadn't chosen to use all my electives on math and physics.

Andy Resnick said:
Although, Troy is a terrible city to live in- there is literally nothing to do but study or drink.

I must object here. I've been living in Troy since 1992, and it has improved a great deal since I arrived. There's a trendy coffee shop on every other corner, and there are several excellent options for dining (Illium Cafe, El Platano, Lo Porto, Bacchus, Daisy Baker's, and Tosca Grill if you feel like spending a lot of money). Of these, only Lo Porto was around in 92. Another Troy Institution is The Ale House, which routinely takes top honors for "Best Pub Food" in the Metroland. And now we have Revolution Hall, which is the best place in the region to see live music. Speaking of, the NY Capital District has an excellent live music scene and Troy is a vital part of it. My favorite band on the planet right now is Super 400, and they're based in Troy. Since they first rocked my face off in 1998, they've come to be 3 of my best friends (where else could that happen?).

Tom let's not get too excited about the Albany area, I'm sure you have friends there and enjoy it but as a choice for someone coming from out of town it's well, it's Albany,NY!

I have to admit I am bias too, I spent some time out in the far western reaches of Mass. and that part of New York and found it dreadfully boring, atleast compared to Boston.

Don't get me wrong: I'm from Chicago and miss it very much! Albany and the surrounding cities certainly won't satisfy anyone's appetite for a big city, that's for sure. But it's not "terrible" as Andy says. Plus, it's roughly equidistant from Boston, NYC, and Montreal. In my school days I frequently took trips to all 3 (I'm more tied down now that I'm working).

Tom Mattson said:
Really? That certainly wasn't the case in engineering when I went there (BS 1995). My major was Engineering Physics (arguably the most theoretical of the engineering majors). Sure there were many theoretical math-based courses, but I also took...

* Intro to Engineering Design
* NEEP Lab
* Circuits Lab
* Lab Intro to Embedded Control
* Senior Design Project

All of these courses were practical, hands-on applications. These were just the required courses, and I'm not even counting all the science courses I took that had a lab component. I could have taken even more hands on courses if I hadn't chosen to use all my electives on math and physics.

Although I really don't think you should go to RPI in it's current state (ask me again in anohter year though), I agree that you shouldn't be worried about the chem-e dept being "too theoretical." I'm a math student, and even the math dept is mostly applied and most of the research done is directly applied to an engineering or biological application.

Tom Mattson said:
Don't get me wrong: I'm from Chicago and miss it very much! Albany and the surrounding cities certainly won't satisfy anyone's appetite for a big city, that's for sure. But it's not "terrible" as Andy says. Plus, it's roughly equidistant from Boston, NYC, and Montreal. In my school days I frequently took trips to all 3 (I'm more tied down now that I'm working).
I used to enjoy my stay-overs in Albany, in large part to the Real Seafood Store on Wolf Road (across from the airport). I don't know if it's still there, but they had the best seafood I have ever eaten outside of Maine. Grilled tuna-steaks, Mmmm. Albany/Troy/Schenectady is not a cultural wasteland, either. Not a bad area to attend college, so I wouldn't veto RPI based on that.

axeae said:
Although I really don't think you should go to RPI in it's current state (ask me again in anohter year though), I agree that you shouldn't be worried about the chem-e dept being "too theoretical." I'm a math student, and even the math dept is mostly applied and most of the research done is directly applied to an engineering or biological application.

Do you think that it would change in two years?

So...is RSI mainly theoretical? I understand every school has to have a little bit of both, but most schools I've heard of are either prominently theoretical or practical.

As to up-state NY, I grew up on Long Island, so I should be fine with the culture. Plus, I'm not there to party, when I'm paying 30K a year!

Wellesley said:

So...is RSI mainly theoretical? I understand every school has to have a little bit of both, but most schools I've heard of are either prominently theoretical or practical.

As to up-state NY, I grew up on Long Island, so I should be fine with the culture. Plus, I'm not there to party, when I'm paying 30K a year!
I wouldn't worry too much about practical vs theoretical. In Chem E, you'll soon find that practical applications are quite industry-specific. The young lady from RPI that interned with us got to learn practical applications all summer long for several years and when she graduated, our company hired her on because of her great work-ethic and knowledge of processes specific to our Kraft pulp mill. If you can intern each summer, you'll get lots of practical applications for your course-work. My nephew did the same thing at a pulp and paper mill using a different pulping process.

Tom Mattson said:
I must object here. I've been living in Troy since 1992, and it has improved a great deal since I arrived. There's a trendy coffee shop on every other corner, and there are several excellent options for dining (Illium Cafe, El Platano, Lo Porto, Bacchus, Daisy Baker's, and Tosca Grill if you feel like spending a lot of money). Of these, only Lo Porto was around in 92. Another Troy Institution is The Ale House, which routinely takes top honors for "Best Pub Food" in the Metroland. And now we have Revolution Hall, which is the best place in the region to see live music. Speaking of, the NY Capital District has an excellent live music scene and Troy is a vital part of it. My favorite band on the planet right now is Super 400, and they're based in Troy. Since they first rocked my face off in 1998, they've come to be 3 of my best friends (where else could that happen?).

Look, I went to plenty of decent shows at the Fieldhouse, too. And I was really lucky to see an incredible show (Yo-yo Ma, Isaac Stern, and Emanuel Ax downtown as part of a *free* (!) bank-sponsored series). Even so, summertime in Troy is brutal. Also, your own list is simply full of places to eat and/or drink- no museums, no sports (other than college hockey), no decent movie theater, not a diverse music scene. The amount of time to do new things there lasts 2 years, tops.

I stand by my initial assessment- RPI will beat you down, Troy is boring, and you will emerge very well-positioned to compete. What is wrong with that?

Wellesley said:

When exactly are you going planning on entering college? Things at RPI could change drastically in another two years.

RPI isn't going to short-change you on practical applications. For math (and probably other subjects too), you can't really be successful applying ideas unless you understand the theory behind it. Based on my experiences at RPI, that should be the absolute last thing to be worried about.

Life in the capital region is all about your expectations... if you move there expecting it to be the worst place in the world you might be pleasantly surprised. In fact, it is only the 3rd worst. :wink:

Andy Resnick said:
What is wrong with that?

Only that your assessment is 18 years old--a lot has changed since 1991. Naturally it has to be granted that this area doesn't have the amenities of a big city such as Boston, NYC, or Chicago (I do miss the museums back home...). But that doesn't mean that there's nothing here.

As for sports, there's a whole lot more than just college hockey. In 2001 HVCC built a baseball stadium that is home to the Valley Cats (a minor league team). And there's the Times Union Center (formerly the Pepsi Arena) in Albany which hosts many sporting events. Also, SUNY Albany is not far from here and their basketball team has been good lately. And don't forget that Saratoga is a short drive north--the racetracks are a lot of fun even if you aren't a gambler.

As for live music, it's simply not true that the scene in this area isn't diverse. As I mentioned we now have Revolution Hall, which is a live music venue (not a restaurant!) in Troy. It is widely regarded as the best in the region, which is saying something given venues such as Valentine's, the Lionheart, and the Lark Tavern. Rev Hall offers live music 4 nights a week and the bands come from all over the country. And there is a diverse group of local bands too: Super 400, Rocky Velvet, The Clay People, etc. Troy is also home to John Tichy, a rock and roll hall of famer who was in Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen (he's currently an engineering prof at RPI). Every once in a while his former bandmate Bill Kirchen rolls into town and they team up at The Ale House. I've seen them many times, and let me tell you: you'd have to travel pretty far to hear better guitar playing. And of course there is the Troy Savings Bank Music Hall. The live music is out there, you just have to go out and look for it.

And yes, it's true that Troy has no movie theater. But what we do have now is the EMPAC at RPI, which is a whole lot more unique and interesting. Besides I don't think it would make much sense to open a theater in Troy given that there are 18 screens at Crossgates, 13 at Colonie Center, 10 at Latham Circle, and 8 in East Greenbush. Not to mention the Spectrum in Albany and that RPI screens recently run movies for a buck in DCC 308 (the big lecture hall). Believe me you won't miss your favorite movie living here!

Like I said to lubuntu, I'm not saying this place is a paradise or that it offers as much excitement as a big city. But it's far from being a terrible place.

Cincinnatus said:
Life in the capital region is all about your expectations... if you move there expecting it to be the worst place in the world you might be pleasantly surprised. In fact, it is only the 3rd worst. :wink:

:rofl:

Tom Mattson said:
And there's the Times Union Center (formerly the Pepsi Arena) in Albany

and before it was the Pepsi Arena it was called the Knicker-Bocker arena! Which in fact, sounded just as silly then as it does now. That original name is almost as funny as the fact that the thing has changed names 3 times.

Sounds like we need to do another PF get-together at RPI/Troy. I met Tom up there a few years ago during a student conference in which I participated as a professional. I used to visit the library quite often, since it's the most accessible technical library for me.

My wife is from Troy and I've had a chance to visit many times. I like the area, and there is plenty to do. If one likes outdoor activities, there's the Hudson and Mohawk Rivers, plenty of parks, and further north (about 1 hr or so) is the Adirondack park area.

GE Corporate Research Labs are located in Schenectady.

As for academics, I've been impressed with the engineering programs with which I'm familiar, and it seems to me the right blend of theory and application. Of course, that blend strongly depends on the faculty. I would certainly recommend that one contact professors, or browse the website, and look at the research/publications in order to decide if a particular program is suitable.

axeae said:
When exactly are you going planning on entering college? Things at RPI could change drastically in another two years.

RPI isn't going to short-change you on practical applications. For math (and probably other subjects too), you can't really be successful applying ideas unless you understand the theory behind it. Based on my experiences at RPI, that should be the absolute last thing to be worried about.

I'm a junior in high school this year, so I would be a freshman in college in two years. I know no one can predict the future, but do you think the problem with RSI is temporary, or is the University in a downward spiral?

Regarding the theoretical vs. practical, I just wanted to make sure. As far as I can tell, most schools are pretty well balanced.

It sounds like Troy is quite the city...

What is Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute?

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, also known as RPI, is a private research university located in Troy, New York. It was founded in 1824 and is the oldest technological university in the English-speaking world.

What programs does Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute offer?

RPI offers over 145 programs at the bachelor's, master's, and doctoral levels in areas such as engineering, science, business, architecture, and humanities. It also has a strong emphasis on interdisciplinary studies.

What is the student life like at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute?

RPI has a diverse student body of over 7,000 undergraduate and graduate students from all 50 states and over 60 countries. The campus is known for its active and engaged student community, with over 200 clubs and organizations, as well as numerous events and activities.

What is the reputation of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute?

RPI is consistently ranked as one of the top technological universities in the United States. It is known for its strong academic programs, cutting-edge research, and innovative approach to education. It is also highly regarded for its strong alumni network and career opportunities for graduates.

What is the campus like at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute?

The RPI campus covers over 275 acres and is a mix of historic and modern buildings. It is located in the heart of Troy, a small but vibrant city with plenty of shops, restaurants, and cultural attractions. The campus also has beautiful green spaces and is located near the Hudson River, providing opportunities for outdoor activities.