What is the significance of the semicolon in the notation for parameter \alpha?

• Thread starter gnome
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notation
In summary, the statement states that the parameter alpha in the distribution of T^k_{s,i} depends only on the maximum expected surplus S^k_{s,i} of seller i on the length T of the trading period, and on t_k, the time elapsed in the trading period. This dependence is written as alpha = f_{s,i}(S^k_{s,i}; t_k, T), where the variables are on the left of the semicolon and the parameters are on the right. The function is defined as f(x) = m*x + b, or f(x;m,b) = m*x + b. The notation used in the statement may be considered an abuse of this notation, as T is clearly a
gnome
Given this statement "[tex]T^k_{s,i}[/tex] is exponentially distributed, and the parameter [tex]\alpha[/tex] in the distribution of [tex]T^k_{s,i}[/tex] depends only on the maximum expected surplus [tex]S^k_{s,i}[/tex] of seller i on the length T of the trading period, and on [tex]t_k[/tex], the time elapsed in the trading period. We write this dependence as

[tex]
\mbox{\Huge \alpha = f_{s,i}(S^k_{s,i};\, t_k,\, T)}
[/tex]
..."

In that last expression what is the significance of the separation of the [tex]S^k_{s,i}[/tex] from the [tex]t_k, T[/tex] by a semicolon, as contrasted with the separation of the latter two terms by a comma? It's clearly not accidental -- they follow this notation several times in the paper.

Physics news on Phys.org
To the left of the semicolon are the variables, to the right are the parameters.
[tex]
f(x) = m\cdot x + b
[/tex] or [tex]
f(x;m,b) = m\cdot x + b
[/tex]

Thanks, that's good to know. But then, what I quoted above seems to be an abuse of that notation. [tex]T[/tex] is clearly a parameter, but wouldn't you consider [tex]t_k[/tex] (elapsed time) a variable?

That sounds like a question for your function, which seems to be saying that it's a parameter.

What is notation and why is it important?

Notation is a symbolic representation of mathematical or scientific concepts. It is important because it allows for complex ideas to be communicated and understood in a concise and standardized way.

What are some common types of notation used in science?

Some common types of notation used in science include mathematical symbols, chemical formulas, and scientific units of measurement.

How do scientists ensure consistency and accuracy in their use of notation?

Scientists use standardized notation systems, such as the International System of Units (SI), to ensure consistency and accuracy in their use of notation. They also follow established conventions and guidelines for notation usage within their specific fields of study.

Can notation vary between different scientific disciplines?

Yes, notation can vary between different scientific disciplines. For example, the notation used in mathematics may be different from the notation used in chemistry or physics. However, there are often common symbols and conventions that are used across multiple disciplines.

Are there any drawbacks or limitations to using notation in science?

While notation is a useful tool in science, it can also have limitations. It may not always accurately capture the complexity of a concept or may not be easily understood by those outside of a specific field. Additionally, there is always the potential for errors or misunderstandings when using notation.