Max Speed of a Porsche 944 Turbo - 113317.4 W

• Thread starter tomboi03
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Max Speed
In summary, a Porsche 944 Turbo has a rated engine power of 217 hp, with 30% lost in the drive train and 70% reaching the wheels. The total mass of the car and driver is 1530 kg, with two-thirds of the weight over the drive wheels. Using the equation P=F*v and given that 70% of the power reaches the wheels, we can calculate that the power reaching the wheels is 113317.4 W. Taking into account the weight and force of the wheels, we can determine the velocity to be 11.336 m/s. However, this is not enough for the Porsche to reach its maximum speed.
tomboi03
A Porsche 944 Turbo has a rated engine power of 217 hp. 30% of the power is lost in the drive train, and 70% reaches the wheels. The total mass of the car and driver is 1530 kg, and two-thirds of the weight is over the drive wheels.

okay... sooo...

I know that P = F(car)*velocity = m*g*v+1/4*A*v^3
where A is the cross-section area.
But this problem doesn't have a cross-section area given.

Since the maximum power output is 217 hp and 70% of the power reaches the drive wheels.
P= (217hp)(0.70) = 151.9 hp

151.9hp * 746W/hp = 113317.4 W
and i don't know where to go with this.

Physics news on Phys.org
tomboi03 said:
A Porsche 944 Turbo has a rated engine power of 217 hp. 30% of the power is lost in the drive train, and 70% reaches the wheels. The total mass of the car and driver is 1530 kg, and two-thirds of the weight is over the drive wheels.

151.9hp * 746W/hp = 113317.4 W
and i don't know where to go with this.

113317.4 W reaches the wheels.The total weight of the wheels = 2/3 * 1530 * 9.8
I reckon that should help you find the velocity.

okay uh... the thing is...

I know P=F*v right?
so, if P= 113317.4
and F= 9996

i get v= 11.336 m/s...
and that is not nearly enough for a porsche to reach it's max speed... it's like the min speed if anything.

nvm i got it! hahaha ;) thanks!

1. What is the maximum speed of a Porsche 944 Turbo?

The maximum speed of a Porsche 944 Turbo is 113317.4 W (watts). This is the amount of power the car's engine can produce.

2. How does the Porsche 944 Turbo achieve such a high maximum speed?

The Porsche 944 Turbo is equipped with a powerful engine and aerodynamic design, which allows it to reach high speeds. It also has a lightweight construction and advanced suspension system for improved handling and stability.

3. Can the Porsche 944 Turbo reach its maximum speed on regular roads?

No, the maximum speed of 113317.4 W is typically only achievable on a race track or other controlled environment. The speed of a car is also influenced by external factors such as road conditions and weather.

4. Are there any safety concerns when driving at such high speeds in a Porsche 944 Turbo?

Yes, driving at high speeds always carries a certain level of risk. It is important to follow all safety precautions and traffic laws when operating any vehicle, especially at high speeds.

5. Is the maximum speed of a Porsche 944 Turbo different for each model year?

Yes, the maximum speed may vary slightly depending on the model year and any updates or changes made to the car's design and engine. It is important to refer to the specific model's specifications for the most accurate information.