Is America's Obsession with Power and Control Leading to a Pearlescent Society?

• News
  • Thread starter username
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a self-proclaimed messiah who has created a compound in rural Iowa and has strict rules for his followers to adhere to. The conversation also brings up the idea of Moon, a controversial figure known for his conservative political views and cult-like practices, and his involvement in politics. There is a discussion about how the media has largely ignored him and how his actions and beliefs are considered by some to be "bonkers." The conversation concludes with a quote about the dangers of apathy and the potential for America to have gone "bonkers."
username
Has america gone completely bonkers?

http://www.gorenfeld.net/blog/2004/05/im-and-i-approve-this-messiah.html
http://gadflyer.com/articles/?ArticleID=131

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
We Shall Overcome.

This world of ours is vile. I am a man with a plan. All who wish to be saved, join with me in a compound in rural Iowa. The End is coming soon! There are just a few simple, absolute rules for you to adhere to.

(1) Materialism is the source of evil. You must strip yourself of all wealth. I am prepared to take on the great burden of wealth, so I shall humbly receive your possessions as you lay them at my feet.

(2) Links to the outside world are forbidden. No televisions, radios, or Internet connections are allowed within the compound. A public address system will provide all the news that you will need to hear.

(3) Once you enter the compound, you shut yourself off from the wickedness outside. You must remain inside the barbed wire fencing at all times.

(4) There will be three-a-day services at which attendance is mandatory. We shall read from the Holy Book.

(5a) Sex is the other root of all evil. Under no circumstances shall sexual relations occur in the compound.

(5b) The only exception to rule (5a) is that females of childbearing age must keep a pager with themselves at all times, to make themselves available to His Most Holy Potentate of the Royal Order of the Godhead (that's me) at all times.

Was that big golden crown paid for with tax payers money?

Last edited:
WTF? Is this for real?

Lol, too funny.

Are those movies for real !??!

Enjoy the truth while it lasts

Remember this, people, next time you see a "quote" from the Moonie Times.

Dissident Dan said:
WTF? Is this for real?

Sadly, yes.

Njorl

Here is a site relating a discussion with representitive Davis. He has admitted to taking part. He is downplaying his involvement in a rather pointless manner. It doesn't matter though. As far as the mainstream media is concerned, Moon is just fine. I just don't understand how this guy can pour money into so many poitical campaigns and it never bites anybody in the ass.

http://www.capitolfax.com/

Hard to evaluate the Davis thing. Hard to find any reliable sources of info on these guys, since, as Njorl noted, the mainstream media has pretty much ignored them for awhile. If true, is he on drugs or just dumb? Obviously hasn't considered the past history of Moon.

I think the media's grown kind of bored with Moon. 20, 30 years ago, he had a pretty close relationship with the president of S. Korea and a South Korean lobbyist. The church's foundation went beyond just Moon as the second coming. It also spelled out the role of NKorea (and its evil parents, China and the Soviet Union) and SKorea (and its good parents, Japan and the US) in the battle over whether good or evil would triumph in the world. The Moonies have always supported very conservative, anti-communist politicians and seemed to almost be an offshoot of a plan to ensure a large amount of foreign aid to protect SKorea from NKorea. It got a little bit of media coverage, since its membership practices were definitely cultish - give up all your money to the church and help them raise more money; convince your parents to send you more money that you can give to the church; etc.

The president got assassinated and there was a big congressional scandal over the money the lobbyist was distributing. Moon kept his church going and used church members as cheap labor for building up a small financial empire, which seems to have grown over the years. I think the issue of using the church members as cheap labor got them a little bit of media coverage, as well.

After the end of the cold war, I would have figured Moon would just be happy to rake in the profits from his companies and his cheap labor. I guess you still have China and NKorea to worry about, though.

I would think any serious politician, right or left wing, would keep as far away as possible from someone so out there on the fringe .

This reminds of the website that has the oddest combination of being both one of the scariest and one of the funniest websites I've seen (thanks, somethingawful.com): http://www.dougmoon.com/

My conclusion is, that yes America has gone bonkers. Nobody seems to care?

When they came for me there was nobody left ...

Last edited:
Pearlescence. Signifies phase change.

did you mean "pestilence"?

:tongue2:

Nope, pearlescence. A pearly look that substances get just before they go through a critical point, caused by self-similar activity at all scales. Thus the Abu Ghreib corruption is the same for the grunt and the general and the Secretary of Defense and the President, and if we believe Hitchens, for the American people.

1. What is the connection between the US Senate and the moonies?

The moonies, also known as the Unification Church, have had a long history of involvement in US politics, including the US Senate. In the 1970s and 1980s, the church became a major political force, with its leader, Reverend Sun Myung Moon, often meeting with high-ranking government officials, including members of the US Senate.

2. How did the US Senate react to the involvement of the moonies in politics?

The involvement of the moonies in politics was met with mixed reactions from the US Senate. Some senators welcomed the church's support and even received campaign contributions from the church, while others were critical of the church's practices and influence on politics.

3. Have any US Senators been members of the moonies?

Yes, there have been several US Senators who have been members of the moonies, including Democrat Mark Dayton from Minnesota and Republican Orrin Hatch from Utah. However, both have since distanced themselves from the church.

4. Is there any evidence of the moonies influencing legislation in the US Senate?

While the moonies have been known to lobby and support certain political candidates, there is no concrete evidence of them directly influencing legislation in the US Senate. However, their involvement in politics has raised concerns about their potential influence on policies and decisions.

5. How has the relationship between the US Senate and the moonies changed over the years?

The relationship between the US Senate and the moonies has become less prominent in recent years. After facing criticism and legal challenges, the church has decreased its involvement in politics and focused more on its religious activities. This, coupled with the passing of Reverend Moon in 2012, has led to a decline in the church's influence on the US Senate.