Please help me calculate this resultant force.

In summary, the diagram shows a mass on a smooth wooden board. The two forces acting on the mass are the gravitational force and the frictional force. The frictional force is equal to the gravitational force multiplied by the distance travelled.
nigelhowie
The diagram shows a smooth wooden board 30cm long. One end is raised 15cm above the other. A 100g mass is placed on the board. The two forces acting on the 100 g mass are shown in the free-body force diagram.

what is the magnitude of the resultant force?

Attachments

• my physics.JPG
    my physics.JPG
    10.6 KB · Views: 491
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think? Hint: Find components of the weight parallel and perpendicular to the board.

ok erm..

i was thinking

mgxsinθ = Frictional force x x

because since the object is not moving, gravitational potential energy is equals to frictional force?

please help me my edexcel exams are drawing really near.

thanks

btw, x= 30cm

When it says 'smooth' it means that there's no friction.

The only force on it as far as i can gather is the mgsin(theta).

So work out the force on it down the plane and from there you can work out acceleration and such, you only ever have to worry about friction if it says 'rough' or gives you a coefficient.

Edit: Also, out of interest is it the M1 exam you're taking? If so i'd check out this website

http://math.mdsalih.com/Data/index.php?d=Edexcel+Mathematics/M1

Many past papers - great practise with mark schemes.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
nope I'm taking physics unit 1.

this topic is killing me.

thanks for the link anyway =)

ok. so, if there is no frictional force acting on the body,

so, basically, the only force acting on the object is mgxsin(theta)?

F = mgxsin(theta)

?

Correcto!

good luck :D

Hey, no it's not, sorry :P

no X there, the force isn't dependant on the distance travelled, sorry i didn't read it right :O

The force here would only be F = mg sin (theta).

I think the only reason why it gives you those measurements is so that you can work out the angle! Give it a go and see what you get.

Chewy0087 said:
Hey, no it's not, sorry :P

no X there, the force isn't dependant on the distance travelled, sorry i didn't read it right :O

The force here would only be F = mg sin (theta).

I think the only reason why it gives you those measurements is so that you can work out the angle! Give it a go and see what you get.

oh yea thanks!

since

work done = force x distance moved in direction of force

so, X must not be calculated because if X is in, we're calculating work done.

thanks! =)

1. What is a resultant force?

A resultant force is the overall force acting on an object, taking into account all other individual forces acting on it.

2. How do I calculate the resultant force?

To calculate the resultant force, you need to find the vector sum of all individual forces acting on the object. This can be done by adding the x-components and y-components of each force separately, and then combining them to find the resultant force vector.

3. What units are used to measure resultant force?

Resultant force is measured in units of Newtons (N), which is the standard unit for force in the International System of Units (SI).

4. Can the resultant force be negative?

Yes, the resultant force can be negative if the individual forces acting on the object are in opposite directions. In this case, the resultant force will have a negative value and its direction will be determined by the larger force.

5. How is the direction of the resultant force determined?

The direction of the resultant force is determined by the angle of the resultant force vector in relation to the horizontal axis. This can be calculated using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent.