Diff EQNot sure what method to use

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
In summary, the student is trying to solve for the unknown constants, A, B, and C in a differential equation. They use the integrating factor and divide through by the leading coefficient to get the equation term-by-term.
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

In one of my fluids homeworks, I wound up with a DE of the form

[tex]A\frac{dh}{dt}+B\sqrt{h}+C=0[/tex]

where A, B, and C are known constants. Can I use the integrating factor on this if I divide thorough by the
leading coefficient A and put it in the form

[tex]\frac{dh}{dt}+\frac{B}{A}\sqrt{h}=-\frac{C}{A}[/tex]

?

I am just not sure how to approach this DE. Any hints are great :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is seperable.

dx said:
This is seperable.

Okay. Is it separable as is? Because I don't see it? Perhaps a substitution is needed?

Yes, just divide by B√h + C, and multiply by dt. You will get

[tex] \frac{-A}{B\sqrt{h} + C}dh = dt [/tex]

Wow. I need to brush up on my math, because I still have no idea how you did that. I have no idea how to divide

[tex]
A\frac{dh}{dt}+B\sqrt{h}+C=0
[/tex]

by B√h + C

I wouldn't even know where to start. I am trying now. Do you do it term by term? I realize that this is just Algebra, but I guess mt Engineering classes
are veering away from all that goodness

[tex] A\frac{dh}{dt}+B\sqrt{h}+C=0 [/tex]

[tex] B\sqrt{h}+C = -A\frac{dh}{dt} [/tex]

Dividing by B√h + C,

[tex] 1 = \frac{-A}{B\sqrt{h}+C}\frac{dh}{dt} [/tex]

Multiplying by dt,

[tex] dt = \frac{-A}{B\sqrt{h} + C}dh [/tex]

dx said:
[tex] A\frac{dh}{dt}+B\sqrt{h}+C=0 [/tex]

[tex] B\sqrt{h}+C = -A\frac{dh}{dt} [/tex]

Dividing by B√h + C,

[tex] 1 = -A\frac{dh}{dt} \frac{1}{B\sqrt{h}+C} [/tex]

Multiplying by dt,

[tex] dt = \frac{-A}{B\sqrt{h} + C}dh [/tex]

Wow :blushing: I had to see it to believe it! Why can't I see these things?!
I can bang my head all effin' day trying to figure this stuff out and then wham! Some
one comes along and is like "hey, why don't you just do this?" and in 2 seconds they're done!

Thanks dx! I am going to go burn something down now :smile:

1. What are Differential Equations (Diff EQ)?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe how quantities change over time or in relation to one another. They are used to model a wide range of natural phenomena and are commonly used in scientific fields such as physics, engineering, and biology.

2. Why are Differential Equations important in science?

Differential equations are important in science because they allow us to understand and predict the behavior of complex systems. They can help us to model and analyze physical processes, make predictions, and solve real-world problems.

3. What are the different methods used to solve Differential Equations?

There are several methods used to solve differential equations, including separation of variables, substitution, and the use of integrating factors. Each method is suited for different types of differential equations and the choice of method depends on the specific problem at hand.

4. How do I know which method to use when solving a Differential Equation?

The choice of method depends on the type of differential equation and its initial/boundary conditions. It is important to identify the type of differential equation (e.g. linear, separable, exact) and then select the appropriate method to solve it. Practice and familiarity with different methods can also help in making this decision.

5. Are there any common mistakes to watch out for when solving Differential Equations?

Yes, there are common mistakes that can occur when solving differential equations. These include errors in algebraic manipulation, incorrect identification of the type of differential equation, and choosing the wrong method to solve the equation. It is important to double check your work and be familiar with the different methods and their appropriate use to avoid these mistakes.