Derive flight path angle from orbital elements

In summary, the speaker has been working on a function to calculate the state vectors of an orbiting body based on orbital elements. They have solved part of the problem, but are struggling with the direction of the velocity vector. They are asking for help and are willing to share their source code and math used. However, they have since figured out the issue on their own.
h4tt3n
Hello everyone,

During the last few days I've been working to solve a "small" problem I hope someone here might be better at than I am.

I'm writing a function that returns the state vectors of an orbiting body of neglible mass based on the orbital elements semimajor axis, semiminor axis, argument of periapsis, and true anomaly. The function works in two dimensions only.

I have solved the problem so far as to calculate the orbiting body's position vector and velocity vector magnitude, but the direction of the velocity vector - especially the flight path angle - is causing me a headache.

Can someone please help me? I won't mind posting the source code and what math I've used so far, if this will be of any help.

Cheers,
Mike

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
nevermind, I figured it out.

What is "Derive flight path angle from orbital elements"?

"Derive flight path angle from orbital elements" is a process used by scientists to determine the angle at which a spacecraft is moving relative to its orbital path. It involves using specific mathematical equations and orbital elements, such as the eccentricity and inclination of the orbit, to calculate the flight path angle.

Why is it important to derive flight path angle from orbital elements?

Knowing the flight path angle of a spacecraft is important because it helps scientists understand its trajectory and how it will move in orbit. This information is crucial for planning maneuvers and predicting the future position of the spacecraft.

What are the orbital elements used to derive flight path angle?

The orbital elements used to derive flight path angle include eccentricity, inclination, argument of periapsis, longitude of ascending node, and mean anomaly. These elements describe the shape, orientation, and position of an orbit.

How do scientists calculate flight path angle from orbital elements?

Scientists use specific mathematical equations, such as the tangent of the flight path angle, to calculate the flight path angle from orbital elements. These equations take into account the eccentricity and inclination of the orbit, as well as the other orbital elements.

Can flight path angle change over time?

Yes, flight path angle can change over time due to various factors, such as gravitational forces from other objects in space or maneuvers performed by the spacecraft. Scientists must continually monitor and recalculate the flight path angle to ensure the spacecraft stays on its desired trajectory.