Family of Functions Question?(graph)

• Thread starter cruisx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, the conversation discusses creating three sub functions that have both points of intersection with the x-axis in common. The concept is demonstrated through the use of three points with the same x-coordinate, and the question is raised about how to graph a family with both x-axis in common. Hints are given for two functions to start with, and the idea of using a quadratic function to achieve three different functions with the same x-intercepts is also mentioned.
cruisx
Hi what's up, Can someone tell me what it means to create 3 sub functions that have both points of intersection with the x-axis in common? Like i understand if you are making a family with the same x-coord you could have something like this (4,0)(4,3)(4,5) but how do you graph a family with BOTH X-axis in common? What does this mean.

thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
cruisx said:
Hi what's up, Can someone tell me what it means to create 3 sub functions that have both points of intersection with the x-axis in common? Like i understand if you are making a family with the same x-coord you could have something like this (4,0)(4,3)(4,5) but how do you graph a family with BOTH X-axis in common? What does this mean.

thanks.

Well those are just three points, only one of which lies on the x-axis. You want three functions that intersect at the same points along the x-axis. I can give you hints for two functions to start out with. See if you can augment them to create two separate families, where each family is a set of three functions that all have the same x-intercepts.

One function is f(x)=cos(x). The other is g(x)=x2.

Also, I'm little confused by the bolded sentence above, so if I got the wrong idea, let me know.

If a graph of a quadratic function crosses the x-axis at x0 and x1, the function must be of the form y= a(x- x0)(x- x1[/sup]). Choose three different values of a to get three different functions.

1. What is a family of functions?

A family of functions is a group of related functions that share similar characteristics and patterns. These functions can be represented by a general equation or formula, with each specific function within the family being a variation of this equation.

2. How do you graph a family of functions?

To graph a family of functions, you need to first understand the general equation or formula that represents the family. Then, you can choose values for the variables in the equation to create different functions within the family. Plot these points on a coordinate plane and connect them to create a graph.

3. What are some examples of families of functions?

Some examples of families of functions include linear functions, quadratic functions, exponential functions, and trigonometric functions. These families have general equations that can be modified to create different specific functions within the family.

4. How are transformations applied to a family of functions?

Transformations, such as translations, reflections, and dilations, can be applied to a family of functions to create new functions within the family. These transformations can be applied to the general equation, resulting in a shift or change in the graph of the function.

5. What is the significance of studying families of functions?

Studying families of functions allows us to understand and analyze different types of functions that share common characteristics. This can help us make predictions and solve problems in various fields, such as mathematics, science, and engineering.