Are physics-related math problems important in Calculus?

• Thread starter Art_
  • Start date
In summary, the student is struggling with solving physics-related problems in their Calculus textbook. They believe this is due to a lack of knowledge in physics, rather than in mathematics. The person giving advice believes that this struggle is normal and often due to the pressure of deadlines and the limited scope of traditional calculus instruction. They suggest re-reading preceding material or seeking out a separate resource to better understand the relevant physics.
Art_
Hi,
I am a college freshman and have taken Calculus I,II,III (covering derivatives, integrals, series and vectors) while going over my book during the summer I tried doing several problems from random chapters. Most of which were application or physics related. Most of these I was not able to solve. But while doing problems relating to the section or on the concept I have no problem and I remember how to do all of them and I'm very confident in all of the material.

So my question is how important are those types of problems (the physics type). In my opinion the reason I am not able to solve them is because of the lack of other knowledge (like physics) and not mathematical.
Thank You,
Art

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I have two opinions on this, as it comes up quite regularly. The first is that most of us struggle with doing problems that aren't assigned for homework or didn't cover in class. We are basically trained to do problems with the pressure that they're due for homework or we'll be tested over them. Also, the calculus sequences are often taught in a very standard, sequential way and don't branch out to actually explain things. They just teach us to solve certain problems and that's it. That's why we struggle with the word and application problems. The key to solving physics problems or word problems is to write down the relevant information, i.e. what the constants are, equations, relationships, etc.

My second opinion is that a lot of the applications or physics type problems I've seen in calculus textbooks are poorly worded. They don't give you enough information and expect certain assumptions that they don't always state. This makes those problems difficult, as there is usually some simple hang up.

In the end, don't sweat it too much. Try them again after re-reading some the preceding material. If you want to make sure you understand certain material, applications, or relevant physics, try finding a book that actually explains and teaches that material. This would be a better use of your time than wasting it on the usual calculus bricks.

Your Calculus textbook is not a Physic textbook, and so, if you not yet studied the relevant Physics, you could be confused about just how to translate the Calculus worded textbook exercise into the relevant mathematical symbolism and then solve the problem. This becomes far simpler and easier to handle after you study the relevant Physics.

1. How do I approach solving a math problem?

The first step in solving a math problem is to understand the problem. Read the problem carefully and make sure you understand what is being asked. Then, identify any given information and what you need to solve for. Next, choose a strategy or method that will help you solve the problem. Finally, solve the problem and check your answer to make sure it is reasonable.

2. What are some common strategies for solving math problems?

Some common strategies for solving math problems include drawing a diagram or picture, making a table or chart, using algebraic equations, and breaking the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. It is important to choose the strategy that works best for you and the type of problem you are trying to solve.

3. How can I check my work to make sure my answer is correct?

There are a few ways to check your work and make sure your answer is correct. One method is to work backwards by plugging your answer into the original problem to see if it makes sense. Another way is to use estimation by rounding numbers in the problem and seeing if your answer is close to the estimated value. You can also double-check your calculations and make sure you followed the correct steps in solving the problem.

4. What should I do if I get stuck on a math problem?

If you get stuck on a math problem, try taking a step back and approaching the problem in a different way. You can also ask a friend or teacher for help, or look for similar examples or practice problems to get a better understanding of how to solve the problem. Sometimes, taking a break and coming back to the problem with a fresh perspective can also be helpful.

5. Are there any tips for becoming better at solving math problems?

Practice is key for becoming better at solving math problems. The more you practice, the more familiar you will become with different types of problems and the strategies for solving them. It is also important to review and understand any mistakes you make and learn from them. Additionally, staying organized and keeping track of your work can help you identify any errors and improve your problem-solving skills.