Need help understanding linear equations of higher order

In summary: MIT website.In summary, an equation (∑ an(d/dx)n)y = 0 can be factored into (d/dx - c1)(d/dx - c2) ... (d/dx - cn)y = 0, which is the same as the n individual equations (d/dx - c1)y = 0, (d/dx - c2)y = 0, ... (d/dx - cn)y = 0.
bitrex
I'm having some trouble getting my head around the concept of multiple solutions of differential equations of higher order, that is the general solution to a linear homogeneous equation is a linear combination of constants and solutions like y(1)C1 + y(2)C2 +y(n)C(n) where N is the order of the differential equation. I understand that there will be multiple constants because even if it's in a roundabout way to solve the equation n integrations are neccessary, but for say a second order equation why will there be 2 solutions, and not one? Or three?

Physics news on Phys.org
bitrex said:
… for say a second order equation why will there be 2 solutions, and not one? Or three?

Hi bitrex! :smile:

Because an equation (∑ an(d/dx)n)y = 0

can be factored as (d/dx - c1)(d/dx - c2) … (d/dx - cn)y = 0,

which obviously is the same as the n individual equations (d/dx - c1)y = 0, (d/dx - c2)y = 0, … (d/dx - cn)y = 0 :wink:

One of the things that should be shown early in an Introductory Differential Equations course is this:

"The set of all solutions to a homogeneous linear differential equation forms a vector space of dimension n".

Of course, saying that a vector space has dimension n means that there exist a set of n vectors, [itex]\left{v_1, v_2, ..., v_n\right}[/itex], a basis for the vector space, such that any vector, v, in the vector space can be written as a unique linear combinations of the basis vectors: [itex]v= a_1v_1+ a_2v_2+ ...+ a_nv_n[/itex] for numbers [itex]a_1, a_2, ..., a_n[/itex]. The [itex]y(1), y(2), ..., y(n)[/itex] functions you list are the "basis vectors" for this vector space.

tiny-tim said:
Because an equation (∑ an(d/dx)n)y = 0

can be factored as (d/dx - c1)(d/dx - c2) … (d/dx - cn)y = 0,

He didn't say his DE has constant coefficients

Thank you all for your replies. I think the way that g_edgar puts it makes the most sense, in that I guess one can think of the multiple solutions as roots of the polynomial operator working on the differential of y. I think Halls' explanation would be the most elegant, if I were capable of understanding it :cry: I don't have much experience with linear algebra, is there a way you could elaborate by way of example? I checked out the Wikipedia entry on basis vectors and it's unfortunately it seems to be one of those Wikipedia mathematics articles that's useless unless you already have familiarity with the subject. Apparently there's some sort of war going on between Wikipedia editors who want to make the Wikipedia mathematics entries more of a teaching resource, and those who want to keep them strictly encyclopedic. If I really wanted to feel intellectually inadequate, I'd just go to Wolfram Mathworld...:smile: In any case, there appears to be a link to a lecture at MIT fairly early on in the Linear Algebra series that covers basis vectors so I'll have a look at that and then see if the vector space explanation makes more sense.

I think you can also probably find a link to An MIT lecture which explains why an nth order homogeneous diff equation has n independent solutions... there is a whole set of video lectures on differentail equations

1. What are linear equations of higher order?

Linear equations of higher order are equations that involve variables raised to a power higher than one. They can be written in the form of y = ax^n + bx^(n-1) + ... + cx + d, where n is the highest power of the variable present.

2. How do I solve a linear equation of higher order?

To solve a linear equation of higher order, you can use algebraic methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. You can also use a calculator or software program to find the solutions.

3. What is the difference between linear equations of higher order and linear equations of first order?

The main difference between linear equations of higher order and linear equations of first order is that higher order equations involve variables raised to a power higher than one, while first order equations only involve variables raised to the first power. Higher order equations are also more complex and may have multiple solutions.

4. Are there any real-life applications of linear equations of higher order?

Yes, linear equations of higher order have many real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to model relationships between variables and make predictions about future outcomes.

5. How can I improve my understanding of linear equations of higher order?

To improve your understanding of linear equations of higher order, you can practice solving different types of problems, watch instructional videos or attend tutoring sessions, and ask for help from a teacher or classmate if you are struggling. It is also important to review the basic concepts of algebra and stay organized with your notes and practice problems.