Fermionic Condensate: Experiments & Comparisons

• Thread starter irisneo
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about fermionic condensates and the differences between them and Bose-Einstein condensates. The person is seeking information about the experimental procedures and is directed to a website for more information. There is also a mention of the Exclusion Principle and a suggestion to visit the website of Deborah Jin, a researcher in the field.
irisneo
hi...everybody...

i'm doing my seminar title for fermionic condensate...

now i have encounter some problem...
1. wat is the real experiment in producing the fermionic condensate?if can, i wan to know the whole procedures in the set up experiment...
2.wat is different between Bose-Einstein Condensate and Fermionic Condensate?

thanks for all of the information that all of you give to me...thank you...

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know a lot about it but I believe its created though something similar to cooper pairing like those in a superconductor. Anyways here's the site where I heard about it: http://physicsweb.org/article/news/8/1/14/1

From what I know, there can't be any fermionic condensate, since fermions obey the Exclusion Principle, therefore they can't have the same energy so they can't condensate

Bosons, on the other hand don't obey aforementioned principle, so they can condensate into the same level of energy (Bose-Einstein condensation).

Best Regards...

The http://jilawww.colorado.edu/~jin/ of Deborah Jin - the PI of the Colorado group that published their work on fermionic condensates - is a good place to start. One of the papers (Regal and Jin, 2003) explains their experimental protocol, which is of course based off what is known about forming and manipulating ultracold gases. The site in and of itself should be more than adequate to explain what the difference between a fermionic condensate and a proper BEC.

1. What is a fermionic condensate?

A fermionic condensate is a state of matter that occurs when a large number of fermions (particles with half-integer spin, such as electrons) are cooled to extremely low temperatures and occupy the same quantum state. This creates a coherent matter wave that exhibits properties of both a solid and a superfluid.

2. How is a fermionic condensate created in experiments?

In experiments, fermionic condensates are typically created by cooling a gas of fermionic atoms, such as lithium or potassium, to near absolute zero using lasers and magnetic fields. This causes the atoms to lose their individual identities and behave as a single coherent entity.

3. What are the properties of a fermionic condensate?

Fermionic condensates have unique properties, such as long-range coherence, superfluidity, and the ability to exhibit interference patterns. They also have strong interactions between particles, making them useful for studying complex quantum phenomena.

4. How do fermionic condensates compare to Bose-Einstein condensates?

Fermionic condensates and Bose-Einstein condensates are both states of matter that occur at extremely low temperatures, but they differ in the types of particles that make them up. Fermionic condensates are made of fermions, while Bose-Einstein condensates are made of bosons (particles with integer spin, such as photons). They also have different properties and behaviors due to their distinct quantum characteristics.

5. What are the potential applications of fermionic condensates?

Fermionic condensates have potential applications in quantum computing, precision measurements, and simulations of complex systems. They also have potential for studying and understanding high-temperature superconductivity, which could lead to advancements in energy production and storage.